Help And advice for Using Gimp, Nifskope, & BSA browser to create

kingy9467

Ok so I am trying to learn the trickier ways of modding to create a more advanced and unique mods, now I'm delving into trying my hand at textures & meshes.

Perhaps Horses are not the place to start, but that's the next step in a current mod I'm working on, so I'm unfortunately, stubbornly stuck on hashing it out until success or repeated undeniable failure. I'm not at failure yet so here I am to seek advice from someone whose maybe done it before.

I've hit on scattered tutorials such as changing the texture on an inn sign, only to discover to my chagrin that horses seem to be much much more complicated.

So here we go.

I have the following programs:

BSA Browser

Nifskope 1.1.3

Gimp 2 w/ dds plug-in

I really, honestly need step by step if anyone has the patience to type that out. I understand for the most part how to use each program, though Nifskope seems a bit beyond me atm, and the dds files for the horse textures are really hard to see in Gimp to even know what to do with them. BSA I'm good with though, I understand pretty much how that works and how to save extracted files to the desktop.

Please and Thank you to anyone willing to help.

OH and basically all I really want to do is take the brown horse texture from windhelm, & make a new one (not replace the old one) that is black with white blaze & socks. Its for a unique horse I'm adding to a Farm Mod custom player home.

Hmm. It's not possible to extract the vanilla HD pack textures for the horses, edit them to your liking using gimp and then just copy one of the vanilla horses in Creation Kit and changing the texture it uses?

I don't have much experience in texture editing, but I've made a standalone custom texture / mesh follower and I don't think creating a custom texture horse is much different from that.

Step by step video guide of creating a standalone custom follower could perhaps be enough. I don't know for sure, but I think it's worth looking into :)