Oblivion/Morrowind worldsize comparison

chaosapiant

Well, I too heard the rumour about Oblivion being smaller, which I don't believe to be true, but one reason for the feeling that it is smaller may be that there are fewer factions in Oblivion than in Morrowind. Another could be that Oblivion's map is also showing (without mods) neighbouring lands, which make it look smaller. :sweat:

It is fascinating that there seems to be a distance in space/time relativity which has such an effect on people over the differences of the two games.

I wonder if the fact I found that gripped me when playing MORROWIND might too have cause it to give people the feeling it is larger?

I had to go to the master of the blades, return to the guild I joined, and to other factions and house's more often. I believe. It may be what made MORROWIND seem larger because it gave us more trips to travel back and forth making it seem to be bigger while the thrill of the quests did not become dispersed too readily, because of the encounters with other quests attached at any point too. Finding Pilgrims and taking them to their destinations added to the effect of longer times spent traveling too, unlike Oblivion.

I wonder if anyone noted the number of tasks required to be fulfilled in both to compare them?

It could be what is causing some people familiar with them both to think there is a reversed size awareness. It could be that the number of tasks do actually make some of us compare a feel for our experiences with Morrowind, giving the sense of smallness to Oblivion.

I just gave myself another reason to play MORROWIND again. I don't know exactly why, but I like Morrowind best.

• 2 weeks later...

Traveling speed is much faster in oblivion, design is of much larger scale(big towns, big houses, long bridges, large squares) while morrowind has everything on smaller scales and variety of details. So if you have same speed in oblivion as in morrowind (I'm talking about walking not stamina drain run) you would see how big and dull it is to go from one place to another, also if you had oblivion speed in morrowind you would fly past everything.

Also morrwind requires more immersion and checking your surroundings because you can hardly runaway from something while in oblivion with speed setups I didn't care what was around me. If few wolves or something fast attacked me I would just run away strafe zigzag to make them hit trees, rocks and lead them to a guard.

So this makes reaching a location in morrowind an accomplishment while it's given for free in oblivion and that adds to a feeling of bigger morrowind.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Morrowind to be bigger, and whats this I hear about Oblivion's character running speed being faster than Morrowind's? :verymad:

Actually, I'm not sure about that one... I don't see too much difference in Oblivion and Morrowind's speed. Morrowind still had fast travel (well, Silt Striders, Boats, Gondolas in Vivec, etc.)

Morrowind you pretty much have to walk back and forth in quests, (I do the traditional Morrowind travel in Oblivion also, mind you. I find Oblivion much smaller, and much lag-ee-er (well, just in Anvil's area actually with the insane amounts of yellow grass, which is my least favorite region.)

Oblivion -> Fast travel to Cloud Ruler Temple?

-> Yes.

And poof, you're at the entrance...

Morrowind's Main quest and Oblivion's main quest aren't really THAT long. I find Oblivion's shorter (if you don't do the Allies for Bruma quest, like me because you're too awesome for it...If you do it becomes longer.)

Maybe it truly is because you need to walk back and forth in Morrowind that makes it seem so big. Maybe it's not...

• 1 month later...
Most has already been said , however I think the pointer has somthing to do with it, in oblivion you fast travel to somewhere close to the arrow on the map then just follow your compass to the location and you know your at the right place, in morrowind you have to explore, sometimes going in the wrong direction for ages then finally finding your destination. also off topic is the rumour that daggerfall is 62,000+ miles square true?... I don't know I havn't played daggerfall yet, but if anyone can confirm that it would be cool.