Mod limit?

BlaCkBlitZ

What is the mod limit of fallout 3?

If I exceed it will something really bad happen?

I currently have 227 plugins/esms/esps and something bad has happened, I could load but after awhile red squares with <!> would appear when I take out my custom weapons. I entered eulogy's pad and there was the <!>s replacing my custom companion and the brown crates that holds nuka-cola. There was 1 random <!> on the floor near the bed.

well with so many you most likely have conflicts, and some of the mods might have had their mesh paths set incorrectly. I suggest redownloading them, taking mods you KNOW dont conflict, such as something like my UnderCover mod, and some stupid custom weapon mod, and merging them together to reduce the active mod count but still have the mods in game.

There is a limit of 255 data files, including Fallout3.esm, making for a maximum of 254 mods. This is due to the way in which the game engine generates FormIDs. The first two digits of a FormID represent the position in your load order of the data file that the form originates from, and "ff" is reserved for forms saved in the save game.

Red diamonds with exclamation marks in them signify a missing mesh, which almost always means you have installed a mod incorrectly. I suggest you go back to your most recently installed mods and copy any meshes that they came with into the appropriate locations in your data folder.

Cipscis

It comes with a .jar file and a shortcut. Edit the shortcut and make sure it points to your javaw.exe. Of course you have to have java installed.

Assuming you got it running, got to file->new, give it a name. Then go to merge plugins and select all the ones you want to merge. Save. disable .esps you merged and enable the one you just created.

• 5 months later...
There is a limit of 255 data files, including Fallout3.esm, making for a maximum of 254 mods. This is due to the way in which the game engine generates FormIDs. The first two digits of a FormID represent the position in your load order of the data file that the form originates from, and "ff" is reserved for forms saved in the save game.

Red diamonds with exclamation marks in them signify a missing mesh, which almost always means you have installed a mod incorrectly.

[ My deepest apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I found it via google. ]

I don't think this information is entirely correct. First, we know that non-base IDs can take the form of "FF", so the limit would be at least 254 - Fallout3.esm. However, I think the limit is much lower.

I have a TON of mods, that I'm installing on a new install of Fallout 3. (High-end box, 1900x1200 rez, all options on max except blur, HDR on) I'm installing them in small groups, testing, and then removing the conflicting ones. I'm experienced in installing mods, I have NEVER gotten the missing mesh/textures issues [ with one caveat, see below: ]

However, I stumbled upon an issue where when I enabled over "8F" ( 143 ) mods, I was mysteriously unable to rest ( T ) or even hit Escape. I could activate things. Also, I noticed a graphical glitch when the issue first occurs ( meshes/textures disappear in the landscape ). Also, some meshes either go invisible or become exclaimation marks ( first time I saw that. )

I spent literally hours trying to "find that one mod" (or few, etc ) eventually I discovered that ANY of my disabled mods, if I enabled ONE, the issue would return if that enabled mod caused the last one in the FOMM load order to roll to "90"

I have not tried combining mods, I'm guessing this will fix this particular issue ( though I'm wary to do this, incase some other "must-have" mod in the future ends up conflicting with one mod in a merged .esp )

Yes, yes, I know that I have a plethora of mods. It's an addiction, I promise I'll stop downloading and installing mods. I can stop anytime, ... really.... :whistling: