Thanks god obsidian dosn't make an other fallout :)

3AMt

Games should allow you to fail.

This isn't a bad thing, but Bethesda seems to be deathly afraid of it.

You're not going to be able to see 100% of the content of the game in one playthrough. That's what making a choice should mean to the player.

If you don't want to have to replay the game again, then tough. Your experience will have been what it was. How is that a bad thing? You get to make choices and affect the outcome of the game as you want to play it :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i exaggerated, and your point about replay value is what I was talking about specifically. I don't want to replay it. I want a persistant world where my decisions mean something to it. For you replay and making different decisions may be fun. We both are fans of the game but we want different things. That's what i was saying.

A specific example other than Gannon would be Veronica and vault 22. If you did the quest foe Ncr, even with Veronica with you, her personal quest is never resolved down that avenue. Even if (spoiler) she was three feet away when I deleted the data(/spoiler)

Another since I just finished it, is Honest hearts. You are forced down an irrevocable path, which is fine, but then at the last scene with Joshua you are forced into a dialogue check, which you were totally unprepared for and will likely fail unless you knew enough from a wiki or previous playthrough to plan ahead for.

There are similar situations in OWB and most especially Dead Money. Going to the Sierra Madre at lv 15, you would have had to consciously put points into medicine from nearly the start of the game, certainly well before the DlC in order to be able to pass the check to save dog/god. Many times the skill checks are moderately appropriate, but for a gunslinging treasure hunter/gambler to have medicine at 75 or 80 by level 20 is unrealistic for a blind playthrough. On a side quest sure, but if you stick it in a main quest and make it your *only* dialogue option it leaves me unsatisfied that the game chose my answer, not me.

My response was more in regard to the earlier posts. I dont mind the graphics but the world doesn't seem finished. Most of the vegas outskirts are fully built places with nothing of note. I woukd rather walk through a huge area of nothing to find one neat secret that have an area like the housing part of primm, which serves no purpose storywise and has inly generic NPCs that dont even interact with the rest of the town.

Fallout 3 like Bethesdas other games doesn't actually have any decisions for the player to make, not any decisions with any meaning, the story and side quests are on rails. Bethesdas games have an illusion of freedom, not actual freedom, like the GTA games you can wander about freely but as soon as you start a mission/quest you're expected to stick to what the developers have decided you will do, those developers not having included any choices. However GTA games will fail you for not doing what you're told, Bethesdas games go further by not letting you fail.

I recently thought I'd try a play through of NV where you kill everybody, I wondered if the game would actually let me do that, it did and I was still able to complete it, I can't do that with any post Morrowind Bethesda games, instead of giving you alternate paths Bethesdas games come with indestructible NPCs who ensure you stay on the path they want you to stay on. Imagine if Bethesda had made New Vegas, we'd had have been forced down one path, the NCR one probably. Bethesda make great game worlds but phone everything else in, they're great sandboxes but awful RPGs. That said, Fallout 3 is nowhere near as awful as Skyrim, it remains to be seen what they do with Fallout 4, my fear is they'll see the success of Skyrim and dumb it right down.

Don't get me wrong Niv, I love New Vegas. Givw me a few guns and an old abandoned anything and I will spend the next hour digging through to find all the terminals and secrets with a smile on my face.

You are right in that I am missing a big part of what appears to be the appeal for longtime fans. I don't however think that I'm the only one who picked the game up as "oblivion with guns" and find enjoyment based on that stance. IMO Obsidian gave a good experience for both types of players, perhaps unintentionally, but now we're hooked too and Bethesda has two fanbases to please and will have to strike a similar balance.

For me, stick in all the medicine checks you want just let me keep playing after the ending

There's a mod for that. A couple.

You can change probably 90% of how the game plays and what it looks like with mods.

If you play on a PC and complain about low-resolution textures, poor animation or even bad level design then you only have yourself to blame.

if your only complaint is the graphics I think that says a lot. honestly New Vegas was by far the superior game. I can understand why a lot of the fans of the classic titlesw ere so bitter ab out Fallout 3 now. Mind you I still enjoy ed Fallout 3 but i was more immersed in the world, conflict, chracters, and conficts of New Vegas I found myselfmuch more able to roleplay in th is game then i did in Fallout 3 in general.

After reading through this whole thing I do have to agree on one point. I hated that you couldn't play after the ending. it just made me feel cheated because honestly it seemed like the Battle of Hoover Dam may as well have never happened. Sure the ending slides are nice and pretty well done bu t they just seem like cold comfort compared to an actual in-game reward that I can use after the Battle.

But yes. If anyone has a suggestion for which play after the end mod is the best I would really appropriate it I just have no idea which one I should use.

Edited by tnu

After reading through this whole thing I do have to agree on one point. I hated that you couldn't play after the ending. it just made me feel cheated because honestly it seemed like the Battle of Hoover Dam may as well have never happened. Sure the ending slides are nice and pretty well done bu t they just seem like cold comfort compared to an actual in-game reward that I can use after the Battle.

But yes. If anyone has a suggestion for which play after the end mod is the best I would really appropriate it I just have no idea which one I should use.

tnu, search CAGE on the nexus, I believe it's also like the third most popular mod. I haven't tried it myself because after over a year I still haven't brought myself to actually finish a playthrough, I heard it's quite nice.

I don't want to replay it. I want a persistant world where my decisions mean something to it.

Go outside?

No way. My Intelligence and Endurance stats are ok but I took way too many points out of Luck and Charisma. Don't even ask about Strength and Agility.

I really hate to do this, but I kind of agree with the OP. But that's entirely due to Chris Avellone wanting to nuke the NCR into the Stone Age. I've followed Fallout through every increasingly and depressingly wacky update*, to see the world through into a full recovery, and Avellone's every involvement in the series has been an utter betrayal of that. Bethesda often does fetch quests, and while annoying, it's nothing compared to making the gold bars in Dead Money weigh 30 pounds in the name of theme when they say on the frickin bars they weigh a pound each.

*Fallout's always been kinky about this, but in the original, most of the wackiness were non-canon random encounters (the kuju footprint, the Tardis). What was canonically wacky was due to the hubris and psychosis of other characters (Locksley's put on English accent).

Avellone f*#@s up the Fallout universe. He's wanted to take a series about rebuilding, a World Half Full despite all it's problems, and turn it into a Crapsack World that will never be allowed to escape the Apocalypse of 2077. For service to the brand. And I hate his guts for it. I also really dislike him because he's indirectly said the real world US doesn't deserve to exist because every single problem the NCR have been chronic, and chronically battled, issues of American history.

Not sure if anyone knows a solution to this or if there even is one. It's a minor bug, but it just drives me insane whenever it happens. Sometimes, when you reload, your thirst is off the charts, even though it was fine before you quit. This is particularly excruciating when the game crashes; you're already enraged by the progress lost, so when re-entering the game you get this nice little slap in the face to go with it. I've actually re-started entire games just because of the sheer stupidity of this situation, I just can't deal with it.