Cart Intro Flipping?

jedgej

This makes absolutely no sense.

It's like bashing your head against a wall and wondering why you have a splitting headache...

So i burst out laughing after reading this, i'm at work...

anyway, i had this on my VERY first play-thru no mods. i have now reinstalled Skyrim 3x because of things i have done; and avoid this entirely by doing one of 2 things, either i uncheck all but character design mods as has been advised here several times, or, Alternate Start -Live another Life, which i cannot endorse enough! i think i have done 20 starts because of that mod alone. [over 700 hours and i got this game in late july 2014... heh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled onto a very curious solution to the cart flipping problem in my setup. The key mod that makes the cart go spinning out of control for me if it's present when I start a new game is Immersive Armors.

It turns out that in the SKSE.ini file we are supposed to create for the memory patch, the cart-flipping disappeared when I commented out the line

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

Going to

;ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

fixed the issue. I imagine then I could leave it this way until I'm at an appropriate save point then re-enable the setting. I can't imagine this would hurt anything at start up. Isn't this flag supposed to help remove orphaned scripts? It seems that there shouldn't be any at the start of the new game.

Edited by afboak

Any mod that has scripts can cause problems with the intro. As many users don't know how to check if a mod has scripts or not, I recommend just not activating ANY mods until after the entire Helgen/intro/tutorial is complete - that is when you exit the cave. You really cannot do anything with those mods during the Helgen sequence anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

After going through the considerable effort of making Skyrim stable, modded, and conflict free, I learned I did too good a job because my new game had the spinning cart glitch. This happens because the Havok physics engine doesn't know what to do when Skyrim functions properly and, reasoning that this was not intended by the developers, improves the game by adding new glitches. That is to say, the carts go haywire because your FPS is too high.

Before I tell you how I solved it, let me tell you a story about the gremlins that live in your computer. Whenever Skyrim finds a missing variable (a part of code that it expects to find, but doesn't), it cleverly solves this by making something up, then permanently writing the glitch to your save game. This means that instead of crashing the first time it has a hiccup, it saves all of your crashes in a pile for later. This pile is normally small enough for Gerda to sweep under the rug when the Jarl's not looking, but it can grow to rival the Throat of the World if you change your load order mid-game. The bigger the pile, the more likely an avalanche will bury you under crashes. This is why the best practice for modders is to set up your load order before starting your adventure and never touch it on a save you care about. It also means that starting on a "clean save" instead of a new game can have unpredictable results, and mods that tell you to start them after such and such an event are best avoided.

The spinning cart glitch is caused by having high FPS and we can't solve it by loading our mods late, so what do we do? We must lower our FPS without doing anything the game will know about, like messing with mods. The solution is therefore specific to each player's graphics setup. One way or another you have to get your FPS low enough for Havok to relax. An easy solution for nVidia users is to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and set Vertical sync to "Adaptive (half refresh rate)", which is the closest thing it has to FPS limiting. You can change it back once you're off the cart.

Edited by Balognadiddler

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is no fix for this problem, this is a game loading problem scenary. Just restart a new game if the carriage become crazy, you lost nothing, this is the begining. I have 168 mods installed, I do not read stupid arguments to uncheck ALL and trying to find WHICH ONE may cause this, mods cause the bloat in a save, nothing else. Even ppl talking about refreshing rate of this 60hz is a stupid urban legend, a game can load without a screen guy, an OS can load without any screen, this is a DD loading, the screen do not affect such a thing on a game in all over the world, are you crazy??

I restarted a new game after seeing this crazy carriage scenary, and I let my f***in 168MODS installed and ALL CHECKED and IT WORKS, I test another time and it works, and sometime, the carriage become crazy, yeah, it's happend, same in real life if you drive your car, all is fine every days and ONE f***in day you have a car crash. The problem is a badluck problem, just restart untill it done.

• 2 months later...

Fresh install, only change was ENB and the mods for weather... Carts going everywhere, gmae was running 120fps... Used ALT+SHIFT+Enter for ENB menu, enabled fpslimiter and set it to 10 fps.

And it worked nicely. you can probably use higher fps like 30 or 40. Once the carts arrived, disabled limter and everything was fine.

@DMordred - what you did worked for you and that is good. :thumbsup: ( theory) I believe the reason it worked is by slowing everything down it gave any scripts enough time to run without being interrupted by other scripts. Many of the intro glitches I have seen happen after the cart ride, during the beheading sequence, dragon attack and getting through the caves. This is not some one mod causing problems, it is a combination of mods and timing of what happens when. Any mod with a script can screw up the timing of the cut scenes. Slowing things down in your case allowed the timing to work properly. :smile:

BTW, the game was designed to run at a constant 30FPS as that is what the consoles run it at. And the PC version is just ported from the consoles.

For those who just want to play the game and not spend hours troubleshooting the why and wherefore of the glitches, I still recommend just disabling ALL mods until you complete the entire Helgen sequence. The mods don't do anything during the Helgen sequence anyway, and can cause some of the wacky problems. Then when you exit, make a permanent save before adding any mods - this is your emergency fall back, A place where you know the game worked and you can use for troubleshooting when you have problems later.

• 1 month later...

Tried FPS limiter mod + V-Sync on with AMD CCC, didn't work.

Used "Radeonpro" ( http://www.radeonpro.info/download/ ) with V-Sync always ON + FPS limit to 58 (just in case) and worked like a charm.

ps: dunno why but default language is Italian with "Radeonpro", change it in Settings (3rd icon from left - top / middle menu > Advanced (don't remember Italian name but its the 3rd option from bottom) > Save > Reload program > click Global (all menus are now unclocked) > Tweak > V-Sync control: always ON > enable Dynamic Framerate Control > Set to something<60 fps because of stupid Bethesda physic that can't handle high FPS...