3- OMOD and OBSE

4- Uninstalling Mods and Uninstalling Oblivion

5- Common Mod Questions / Answers

6- Oblivion Crash On Start Up

7- Making A Mod

8- Important Notes

9- Credits

0. Introduction

Hello and welcome to the world of mods, if you are reading this, you ethier did something wrong, and your whole game exploded, or you're just really bored. I will go over with you, the most common mod problems, and fixes for the problems.

I will also go into a step by step tutorial to installing a mod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Oblivion Files

As BossDweebe said, when you first look at the files, your brain turns to.. well.. Mush.

So im going to explain what the files are, so your brain won't turn to mush.

Click the files that I am typing in order to find the Oblivion Directory.

Computer

LocalDisk (C:)

Bethsda

Oblivion

Data

Thats where you need to copy the files into to get your mods to work. I think that is the non-steam version.

Here is the steam version.

Computer

LocalDisck (C:)

Program Files

Steam

SteamApps

Common

Oblivion

Data

If you did it right it should look like this.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide1.jpg

So let me help you with extracting the files, if you are using 7zip.

If you copy the files, lets say in the oblivion/Data/ Anything you copy will go in the data folder, so copy meshes/textures/.esps ect. Into Oblivion/Data/ and it should work properly.

2. Installing Your Mod

Warning: Before messing with any of your files, Copy your whole oblivion folder and make a back up, if you want something back that a mod changed and you can't, don't ask anyone to upload files, that is ILLEGAL.

You must think this is pretty complicated, but in fact, it isn't. It may seem confusing at first, but you will grow use to it, and it will be easy as tieing your shoes. ( Well, not for me, anytime I tie my shoes they end up falling apart in about one minute.)

Before you install your Mod, you will need a program that opens them first. Let me give you a link to a great program, called 7-Zip File Manger, it will open those files that the computer cannot usually open. Such as, zip, .rar, .7z, and many, many more!

The link is Here!

Once you have sucessfuly downloaded that, you will need to download a mod. I will give you a example, and it is my favirote mod of all time, and most people have problems installing it right.

Pj's Dico Spell v11

It is a fun little mod, that does what exactly as it says, it makes people around you dance, and plays the song; What Is Love? By HaddWay.

Now, click the link that says file on the page, Select the file in, Main File, and it should show you a list of servers, example, I live in missouri, so I pick Dallas, (It's in texas) for a faster download speed, It will pop up another website, wait for a few seconds, and look at the top of the web page. There should be some warning, click it, and let it download the mod. Some mods don't have this, they automatically download.

Save the file anywhere, I reccomend making a mod folder to keep track of all your Oblivion mods!

Now, open 7-Zip, you now have to find the mod you saved; to do this, select the arrow that is pointing down.

Find the file where you saved your mod at and click the file.

If done correctly your 7-zip Program should now have a file in it.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide.jpg

Now to install the mod, click the folder, until it shows Data, Right click it, Copy or Move to, your Oblivion Directory.

Sometimes Mods don't have a dont have a file called data, so here is a cool trick, make a file called data on your desktop, after that copy the folder that has meshes/textures, .esp, ect. Copy that into the data file in your desktop, after that copy it to your oblivion directory. so copy everything that is inside of it, and Copy or Move to your Oblivion/Data/ Directory!

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide2.jpg

You are almost done with your first Mod!

Now this is the easy part, launch Oblivion, but don't click play, instead go to data files, a list will pop up, look for PJ's Disco Spell, Double click it, and the box that was blank, should now have a x in it.

Click ok, and play the game, you don't have to make a new Character, just load any save, and the ring of disco will be added to your inventory, equip it and you have the disco spell.

Congratulations, you have installed the Mod!

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide3.jpg

3. OMOD and OBSE

Some mods require certain things, such as another mod to work with it.

Some mods require OMOD and OBSE. At first, I had no idea what any of these were, so I did my research and found out. I'll do OBSE first, becuase it is the easyiest to explain.

OBSE

OBSE stands for, Oblivion Script Extender, alot of mods need this, and it is very simple to install.

First of all, you need to install this at here.

But before you install this, there are two different files that you can download. One is the Regular File, The other is the Beta file.

For all of you that bought oblivion from the store, and installed it using a cd. Download the first file.

For all of you that bought oblivion from steam, download the beta file. The Regular File is Marked in Red, The Beta File is Marked in Black.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide4.jpg

Now to install it, all it is, is simply moving files into your directory as the readme says, but I will walk through it with you anyways.

Regular Version:

Open the file

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_0.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_loader.exe to your Oblivion directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder, and should contain files called "Oblivion.exe" and "OblivionLauncher.exe".

2. Run oblivion by running obse_loader.exe from the Oblivion directory.

3. So you can ethier make a shortcut for Obse_loader.exe or, just go into the oblivion directory and launch it from there.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide5.jpg

Beta Version:

This is like the other version, except for steam; it only has a few small file differences, and it is easier to launch.

Open The File

1. Copy obse1_2_416, Obse Editor0_1, Obse Editor0_2, and obse_steam loader to your oblivion Directory.

2. To launch it, just start up the game from steam.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide6.jpg

NOTE: When you launch the game, nothing will pop up, OBSE will run when you launch the game, so any mod that requires OBSE, just install like it was a normal mod.

OMMOD

This is more complicated then OBSE, I don't like it, but if a mod needs it, I will still do it.

You can download it here.

Download the self installer, it should be the first link on the page. Unlike OBSE, you actually need to install this.

Open it and install it as the program tells you to.

Now, im going to find a mod, that I can use a example for, lets use Colour Terrain OMOD to give the map a colorful look.

Before you download this, download it into your desktop, not into a mod folder.

Open the folder and Copy Colour Terrain Map into your desktop.

After that, Copy Coulour Terrain Map AGAIN, into your Oblivon/Data/ Directory. Why am I telling you this? Becuase when you launch OMOD, it can only detect OMOD files, so it's easier to have the files on your desktop.

Now, launch OMOD, and click load files, go to your desktop, and the Colour Terrain Omod should pop up, open it, and click activate, and you have installed your first OMOD file! To uninstall it, just click the mod, and deactivate it.

NOTE: This Omod file recolorers your ground and all the rocks I think, I will not give you another OMOD file to download, becuase this is a great way to go through the steps to find out how to remove a file.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide7.jpg

4. Uninstalling Mods and Uninstalling Oblivion

Well, if you don't like a mod, or it conflicts with another mod, here is what you do, all you do is untick it from the data files, and it should deactivate it, to remove a mod completly, you have to go into your Oblivion/data/ and delete the .esp file for it.

Now, if your using OMOD, it is alot easyier, just click the mod in OMOD and click deactivate, the mod will still be there if you want to activate it later, to uninstall it, just right click on the mod and click delete, it will delete all the files that the mod has given you, Ex, Texture files Meshes ect.

Uninstalling Oblivion

I have steam for oblivion, and it was a pain to uninstall it, you have to delete EVERYTHING for steam, and I mean everything all the files, ect. It sholdn't be to long or hard to do, maybe about 2-3 minutes. NOTE: Deleting Local Content won't work, you HAVE to remove ALL files for oblivion before installing it again.

For the disk version of oblivion, I think it automatically comes with a file that lets you uninstall it, so follow the instructions on that and it should uninstall.

5. Common Mod Questions And Answers

Here are frequently asked questions with answers.

Q: I just downloaded a mod and cast a spell, instead of any spell effect, there is just a big Yellow/Blue exclamation point, How do I fix this?

Q: I downloaded a mod, put everything in the right folders, and it still doesn't work?

A: Read the readme, some mods require other mods to work, and the Readme should tell you how to install it properly if needed.

Q: I downloaded a mod, and my eyes are black, what do I do?

A: This happens if you don't put the texture/meshes in right, OR if there is a update of it that fixes the problem.

A: This problem usually hapens when you install the Textures/Meshes wrong, put the correct folders in the right place and it should work.

Q: My mod doesn't have any textures or mesh files, Help!

A: Not all mods have textures or mesh files, most of the time it's just a .esp file and a readme, you don't need textures/meshes for all mods.

Q: I accidently deleted my oblivion sound files or a mod replaced them, can anyone upload them so I can download them?

A: No, that would be illegal, you will have to install oblivion all over again, UNLESS, you made a oblivion back up file, so copy the sound in the back up file, and paste it in the sound folder.

NOTE: Some mods change oblivion files, such as Eye Candy Body Replacer, this replaces the original file, so if you want the original file back, you need a back up.

6. Oblivion Crash On Start Up

This usually happens when it shows Bethesda at the beggining of the game.

There can be several problems.

Here is a example.

You downloaded a mod, and the game crashes on start up. This means the mod is bad, and will continue to crash the game until you remove it. I mean completly remove it, don't untick the .esp file.

Load Up

Sometimes mods can cause "Conflict" causing the game to crash in the beggining, or when you enter a specific area.

The conflict is usally two mods that are different that replace the same thing.

Example:

You download two new lightning effects for spells, you tick both of them in the data files, and when you cast a lightning spell, the game crashes.

OR I don't know how this happens, depending which way you have your mods in order, can also crash.

You need to pick which one you like most.

Here is another thing that can cause crashes:

Dezdimona made this guide listed below.

General Load-Order Guidelines

Here are the guidelines that I adhere to, personally.

~ Unofficial Oblivon Patch should always be first on the list. The fixes are great, but most aren't essential, so if a mod overwrites them its not a big deal, and the fixes have the potential for screwing up other mods if loaded later.

~ Offical Content (DLC's) should be loaded last, until you complete all quests associated with them (that includes buying all furniture for the houses and whatnot). Once they're complete, they can be safely moved up in the list. This is especially important for Knights of the Nine, which will have some fairly major problems unless loaded last (unless you get the UOP for KotN)

~ Major overhaul mods (OOO, Frans, MMM) should be loaded near the end. That gives you the most complete experience with any of those particular mods. It also lets you carefully choose which other mods to load afterwards... only move mods that you know will conflict and that you want the changes from. For example, I have Improved Soul Gems below OOO because I know that OOO changes the icons of some of the SG's, and ISG needs to be below to show through.

Some people will recommend putting larger mods first, but personally I disagree. There are a number of mods out there that make minor tweaks, and loading after a large mod will end up completely overwriting a chunk from one of the bigger mods because of the way conflicts work in Oblivion (even one minor change will take precedence over the entire record... for example, simply tweaking the speed of a weapon can cause every stat of that weapon to be retained to vanilla levels if loaded later).

So basically, it stacks up like this...

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Minor Mods / DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mod/Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

Note: If using Mayu's Overhaul Mod. I recommend loading it after OOO or MMM

Expanded Load-Order Guidelines

by dev_akm

I would extend this to include:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

<Weather/Environment/Sound Mods>

<Minor Mods/New Items/Houses/DLC's (Post-Completion)>

<Major Overhaul Mods>

<Mods that specifically conflict with overhauls and need to take precedence>

<DLC's (Pre-Completion)>

<Quests>

<Compatibility Patches/UOMP/Merged Leveled Lists>

And a special-case warning for Knights.esp (Knights of the Nine) -- you may not be able to move it earlier than some other mods (some people have had problems after moving it before OOO, for example).

General Load-Order Guidelines

Here are the guidelines that I adhere to, personally.

If none of those work, try this http://preventcrashesinoblivion.page.tl/ XJDHDR Made this guide.

7. Making A Mod

Making a mod can be a pain, but it can be fun as well.

You will need to download this first before you start making mods.

Download This

Here is a a easy mod to make for begginers, or someone new to making mods.

Tutorial

8. Notes

Here are some notes that I think would be important.

- Always make a back up file for oblivion.

-Read the read me, it will tell you if there is a special way to install it or uninstall it.

- Before posting in the mod problems forums, look for a thread that has your problem, if it does and it solves it, don't make a new thread, if not, make a new thread.

9. Credits

Cold101- (Me) For making this mod.

Dez-For letting me copy her Load Guide.

Bben- For letting me use his information.

BossDweebe- For making sure brains didn't turn into mush.

XJDHDR- For letting me use his link.

Don't be afraid to ask anyone for help, if you have a problem with installing a mod, PM me or post in this thread and I will try to help you the best as I can.

If there is anything that I have missed out on, or something you want to add on, I will add it, and put you in the credit section.

Change Log:

Changed some sentences to easyier understand it.

Fixed a few grammar errors.

Added more information.

Next Updates:

Acronyms

Good idea. A pictorial tutorial is needed, but when it gets pinned will anyone read it ?

From what I've seen - doubtful. Just ask bben.

We all live in hope though, and with that in mind I might put my two bob in...

You said some mods don't have a data file. This may be confusing as esp's

still need to be in the Data folder. (yes people are that thick).

While you say Oblivion\Data folder your ss has everything going in the unopened Oblivion folder,

so there is a good chance that, for some (thick), the mod will not end up with the esp in Data,

and the animation file in Meshes folder, but instead in the Oblivion folder. Oblivion\esp + Meshes

I think it would also be good to have an in depth explanation of

folder structure. People really need to know this for trouble shooting the mod

they just mis-installed. Screens of two windows side by side. One with the

game folder tree open and the other with the mod. A mod with several

folder types would be most instructive.

You tell people they may have error markers or pink textures because the mesh or textures

may be in the wrong place, but they have only been acquainted with the Oblivion folder, and

when confronted with an opened Data folder their eyes glaze over and their brain turns to mush.

I have an idea that misplaced folders often happen when people drag and drop files in the folder tree (XP)

instead of into an open window from one window to another. I've often had files wind up in an

adjacent folder when I d&d in the folder tree.

While many mods are only an esp. some people do not realise that replacer mods do not require

an esp.

Also, they should be instructed not to put read me's and ss's in the game.

It would also be best if people were instructed to use OBMM so they can set the load order and

run archive invalidation.

Installing mods - easy when you know how - hard to explain succinctly.

Eh, I'll fix it when I wake up, its 2:02 A.M. and I need to get to bed otherwise I will never wake up and be able to fix it.. At least for 8 hours... :P But before that I have to fix a mod, my eyes are gone I think I know the file that caused it so, hopefully it will be fixed otherwise I will be referring to my own guide :P

Looks good so far.

The pics are clear and show good definition.

One thing I found in my own tutorial was people having a problem with actually finding where to download.

A pic with an arrow pointing to the 'files' on the main screen, then another pic with an arrow pointing to the file to be clicked on when you get to the files.

If you need more ideas, my entire tutorial is located here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/TheStormRavenLibrary/forum/256092/

Please feel free to use anything you find with my name on it. Some of the neophytes need all the help they can get. And different tutorials presenting the information in different ways will help different people.

My little mod used for the tutorial is as simple as I could make it. It will work with any version of oblivion and requires no other resources. There are also no textures, meshes or sound files involved. If I were to remake it, I would put the dagger, or some other object, in the cell at the beginning.

Updated the guide.

Its good but where do i put the Music,Textures,And Meshes of the mod?Cause i do that but it only appears as a White light and it changes the lighting and causes them to dance lol to nothing

Well, if you copied the Data file that was in it, and copied it into the oblivion directory, you should have been fine.

You can use 7-zip, or do it manually, which ever you choose. Manual might be easy in this case.

Copy The Music/Textures/Meshes and copy them in the data file.

Play the game, and it should work. Sometimes you have to cast the spell 2-3 times before the music comes on. If you are being attacked, the music will stay as battle music, so kill the person who is attacking, and cast it again.

This picture shows where you should copy the files, ignore the yellow boxes, and just copy it all in the data file, don't click the textures/meshes/music file and copy it in there.

Copy.. In.. The... Data.. File. And if it ask you to overwrite anything, click yes.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/Cold101_bucket/OblivionModGuide1.jpg