Skyrim's Radiant AI Downgraded?

LonesomeDrifter

Does anyone else feel that Skyrim's radiant AI is very watered down compared to Oblivion's?

I mean, you see most citizens have rather robotic, simple schedules. While in Oblivion, they were much more dynamic; NPC's went out hunting, guards pursued you way outside the city walls, and wanderers even could be found in dungeons.

Here in Skyrim, the world feels rather, empty. Guards don't often chase you past the city walls, and hunters don't dare venture out of the cities, and many people just don't even sleep or eat AT ALL.

Anyone else feel the same?

I'm not sure it's the Radiant AI system itself responsible here.

It should be a better version of the engine compared to Oblivion, and in Oblivion that people did all these things wasn't a matter of the Radiant AI, they had AI packages telling them to do all this, several of them.

I rather suspect in Skyrim the devs, as usual, took the easy way and reduced the amount of individual AI packages per NPC by quite an amount. Going by past experience that's pretty much to be expected.

If the NPCs don't do these things now, it's not because the Radiant AI is 'downgraded', but simply because there are no AI packages telling them to do this in this game. They were simply left out.

As a matter of fact, the AI in Oblivion actually can be called 'more' robotic than what they say about how things are supposed to be in Skyrim.

In Oblivion 'everything' was scheduled after all. And the NPCs were working down their schedules just like machines. It just felt more lively and dynamic to you, because the schedules were 'massive'!

Whereas in Skyrim, if your observations are correct, they seem to be tiny in comparison and seriously feature-lacking. And there's only so much a clever 'dynamic' AI can do to undo the damage done by the lacking.

I'm not sure it's the Radiant AI system itself responsible here.

It should be a better version of the engine compared to Oblivion, and in Oblivion that people did all these things wasn't a matter of the Radiant AI, they had AI packages telling them to do all this, several of them.

I rather suspect in Skyrim the devs, as usual, took the easy way and reduced the amount of individual AI packages per NPC by quite an amount. Going by past experience that's pretty much to be expected.

If the NPCs don't do these things now, it's not because the Radiant AI is 'downgraded', but simply because there are no AI packages telling them to do this in this game. They were simply left out.

As a matter of fact, the AI in Oblivion actually can be called 'more' robotic than what they say about how things are supposed to be in Skyrim.

In Oblivion 'everything' was scheduled after all. And the NPCs were working down their schedules just like machines. It just felt more lively and dynamic to you, because the schedules were 'massive'!

Whereas in Skyrim, if your observations are correct, they seem to be tiny in comparison and seriously feature-lacking. And there's only so much a clever 'dynamic' AI can do to undo the damage done by the lacking.

Hmm...good point.

I'm glad you brought it up. Yes, they reduced the AI packages of most NPC's here in Skyrim to simpler schedules. Then again, don't forget Oblivion originally had a much more complex Radiant AI, (that can be seen here:

) but had to be drastically changed because after a while, NPC's started killing each other to reach their goals. An AI like that is very complicated to program, especially for over hundreds of NPC's.

My point is, the reason I feel Skyrim NPC's feel more 'robotic' is because not all of them are scheduled as dynamically as some others. I mean, have you seen an innkeeper sleep at all in game? Most of the time they tend the inn 24 hours without any breaks whatsoever. I find it kind of immersion breaking that way, but that's just me.

Then again, I don't think anyone misses, or wants, another City-Swimmer incident...

That's...actually pretty awesome...it wasn't for the fact that she got killed over some bread lol!

But seriously, I never knew Oblivion's AI radiant AI was that good O_o.

I have a feeling that there were people in Bethesda who really worked hard on their specific roles in making the game...and others who just slacked off.

Oblivion created some issues with its Radiant AI. Frankly, i don't think that the programming framework was robust enough to handle this sort of thing, and they clearly pealed back on it for Skyrim. And with good reason. Oblivion had a tendency to be unexpected, but not in a realistic way.

Hopefully, with a new engine and more robust programming coming down the pipe, we'll start seeing more realization of the Radiant AI dream. Of course... Bethesda could drop the ball again, they seem to have butter fingers lately. First Oblivions' world-design, then Skyrim's horrible story execution, then letting Zenimax b&@*$-slap the poor Altmer... Tisk tisk.

Well you can add some mods that give them schedules. Expanded Winterhold Ruins and Immersive College of Winterhold for instance, as well as ImpeREAL Falkreath.

EWR and ImpeReal Falkreath don't seem to add new schedules to the NPC's. At least, the mod descriptions for both mods do not say that they add new AI packages.