Do you feel sorry for Harold?

TwoThirdsMajority

I loved Harold too much in the other games, and couldn't bring my self to let him suffer, so I used the poison on him. Yes I did feel sorry for him. I can't believe that they actually let you burn him alive. *shudder*

Edit: Also @ Chemix I completely agree with you. but he wouldn't be fully human. Remember he is a ghoul.

I choose to end his pain every time I play. After all, the guy has traveled across the entire continent enduring hardship and ridicule. I think he deserves a break and if he wants to end it all, I don't mind accommodating him. Plus, Barkskin is a nice perk.

Actually, he's not a ghoul, he's just another form of FEV created mutant.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Harold

• 9 years later...

Old thread but just got around playing the game today contemplating the same... Here are my two cents...

Lets consider a few things. We dont need harold to fix the wasteland's nature. You are on a mission to get this G E C K which is a terraforming tool. Further more project purity removes radiation from water to make it safe to drink. In Dr Li's lab, fresh vegetables are present which means that at the present time there is the possibility to revive the wasteland even IF the main quest for any reason failed.

Why go through all this BS when we could just mutate Harold? Because the right thing is never the smartest decision nor the easiest.

If this were a real scenario it would be our fault this crap happened and made the wasteland. Should we blame the government? The enclave? The communist? Are we above such people? I know a thing or two about human nature. The feeling of superiority always causes conflict. Whether it is because we believe we are stronger or simply better in any aspect to someone else or a group of people. Its how this all started.

Everyone knew what was happening before the great war.

End Harold's life, stop blaming people, stop rationalizing reasons to "use" this opportunity for good, opportunity makes man a thief and in this case you are going to what? Steal his choice with pretty words or against his will for the "greater good"? Good n evil is a childish notion. I am sure he is aware of the impact he would have on the wasteland. Yet he wants to die. Dont guilt trip him, dont burn the poor bastard, lets be responsible adults and fix our mistakes. We are all accountable in my mind.

• 3 years later...

As a stone cold killer with dozen of raiders' heads, my Lone Wanderer doesnt need to listen to anybody on anything.

Harold asking to die by my hand? Let me THINK about it. If he ask and I follow, what does that make me? A chum~

The basic nature of harold's request is that he tired of living "I know they mean well... and for awhile it was nice to be needed. But I'm not sure I want to be a giant tree anymore." so he want to die. period!

Pain? no pain. Hurt? no hurt. Being ignored? Nope, the kid and the oldsters still visit regularly, rambling on and running around. he's the very pillar of community and everyone including him know it. The very f*#@ing miracle of the waste! Yet still want to die? you see the problem here yet?

Die by other hands'? Not on my watch. Luckily there's a linement deal with this mental problem right then and there.

Edited by laclongquan