Solitude Roggvir Execution not playing

madcow12

so i started a new game today, using alternate start. began in sleeping giant, did the things in whiterun, then went straight to solitude. upon entering, everyone's where they should be for the roggvir execution

except no ones speaking, no dialogue is playing. even the man who sends his daughter home is just standing there staring at each other. i googled for some fix, tried waiting outside, which didn't work. so then i killed the four ppl on the stage then resurrected all but roggvir then waited for 30 minutes real time but the npcs still won't move. i even tried killing everyone and then resurrecting them but that doesn't work either. how do i fix this? the only trouble this might cause is no jaree-ra, and the winking skeever bard is just standing there in front of the door, but beirand and the other shopkeepers buy and sell normally and since i dont interact with the other npcs at all, can i just ignore and keep playing or is this a serious glitch that will bust my save long way down the road? i've read multiple posts and it seems killing the four only works when the man talks to his daughter, but in my case even he doesn't speak...

the only viable mods that i can think of are sexy solitude, maybe civil war overhaul. i have interesting npcs, more brains, populated cities as well and no open cities skyrim. i only noticed this problem after installing the lastest USKP patch. maybe that could be the reason? any ideas anyone if its not a serious glitch i'll happily walk away but some stuff i read really troubled me saying its a major serious glitch

It's Alternate Start. You did not start the Civil War quest (which starts when Ralof or Hadvar invites you). The execution needs that quest to be active AFAIK. If you would go to Castle Dour, you would notice that General Tullius isn't there as well because as far as the world is concerned, Helgen isn't destroyed YET. It's all timey wimey wibbly wobbly (LOL couldn't think of a better description), where people talk of dragons and civil war, but technically those events haven't started for parts of the world yet. The execution is basically in suspended animation AFAIK.

• 9 months later...

The quest that handles the exectuion is SolitudeOpening. I was able to fix this using the console and the following commands. Also I exited the console and waitied for a couple of seconds between each command:

bring up the console and select Roggvir

kill

setstage SolitudeOpening 10

setstage SolitudeOpening 20

setstage SolitudeOpening 30

setstage SolitudeOpening 35

setstage SolitudeOpening 40

Once complete you can check with 'getstage SolitudeOpening' and it should progress to 45 on its own.

After the last command you should see the crowd start to disperse normally.

Not actually true. LAL does not interfere with the execution scene in any way - and in fact works just fine even if you choose a start inside Solitude.

Going to Helgen is not a requirement either, nor does the execution scene require any data from Helgen. It's an independent event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The quest that handles the exectuion is SolitudeOpening. I was able to fix this using the console and the following commands. Also I exited the console and waitied for a couple of seconds between each command:

kill

Once complete you can check with 'getstage SolitudeOpening' and it should progress to 45 on its own.

Much appreciated. It moved to stage 45. Lets hope it continues it course properly.

• 3 months later...

kill

I spent so much time trying to find a solution that worked. This solution really worked!! Now everyone is acting like normal!! My problem was that they were all there but just standing there not talking, including the kid. I ignored it for hours and hours of playing time but it bothered me that Solitude was all messed up and no one was acting correctly. I tried the Kill variations but with no luck. Finally I saw this and was excited because in the past (not this play through) I've had Word Wall glitches where it wouldn't let me get the shout and I couldn't get any more from Arngeir. The solution was to advance the sequence where it showed as finished so Arngeir would give me another one to search for. I tried this, with pauses between each setstage. I actually waited until any npc's came or left and there was no more movement between each one. Finally after setstage 35, everyone walked away, even the executioner after sharpening his blade. I waited probably 2 minutes until everyone was out of site. I was tempted to not do 40, but I saved right before and did 40 anyway. I didn't notice any difference, so i saved and started exploring around where I saw all the normal activities, like the street vendors and customers, the kids playing in the street, etc. I didn't do the getstage part. Thank you SO much mattlock73 if you are still around over 2 years later!!