A Question About Construction Set

ElaraFox

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I had recently made an eye texture using GIMP that I converted into .dds format, but whenever I try to actually create the eye in the constructing set, it crashes or says (pretty much) that it doesn't exist. I am notorious for doing things wrong when it comes to computers, but I'm trying to learn, that's why I'm trying to do this. Could anyone tell me how to use the .dds eye in the construction set?

Don't panic, take a deep breath and relax, we can help you with this.

But first we need to know how did you create the eye texture, the format, the compression, et al.

Then tell us which steps did you on the CS to use the texture.

Meanwhile, I'll check that the procedure I remember is exactly the one I used to create and implement custom eye textures.

Cheers!

Edited by IkeCoast

Thank you, and hello again!

I used GIMP to make the eye, saved it as a GIMP image, exported it to a .png, then I opened it in paint.NET to convert it into a .dds. Something popped up as I went to save it as a .dds file asking me the specifics, but I just went for the defaults.

My steps on CS were as follows:

-create new eye thing

-"add image file"

-click my new .dds

-crash CS

Hey, Elara!

I see you don't got the dds plugin for The GIMP. I strongly recommend you to grab and install it, will make your texturing life an Heaven in Earth, especially if you also grab and install the normalmap plugin.

The specifics for exporting a texture file as dds for eyes (and in general), or at least the settings I use, are dtx-5 compression, and Generate Mipmaps.

I don't know about PaintNET, but in GIMP, the defaults are No compression and No mipmaps, and Oblivion engine doesn't like that at all.

The image must be perfectly square, by the way.

Hope this will help.

Cheers!

It says I can't get the GIMP plugin because I don't have a certain .dll file? Also are the dimensions of the picture specific?

Oh! It loaded the picture and didn't crash this time! Now all I need to do is figure out how to get it to work in-game!

Edited by ElaraFox

It says I can't get the GIMP plugin because I don't have a certain .dll file? Also are the dimensions of the picture specific?

I've run into that same issue. In my case, it actually broke GIMP so bad that I had to revert my PC to a previous restore point. I haven't tried that since. Paint.Net is a good free program, but has lots of limitations. Adobe Photoshop CS2 is great with the free NVidia DDS plugin. Fortunately, Adobe has made CS2 available for free from their website; the catch is that you need to set up a user account (which is no big deal).

As for getting the texture to work in-game, that depends on how you want it to work. Do you want it to replace an existing texture, or do you want it in addition to those already available?

I've run into that same issue. In my case, it actually broke GIMP so bad that I had to revert my PC to a previous restore point. I haven't tried that since. Paint.Net is a good free program, but has lots of limitations. Adobe Photoshop CS2 is great with the free NVidia DDS plugin. Fortunately, Adobe has made CS2 available for free from their website; the catch is that you need to set up a user account (which is no big deal).

As for getting the texture to work in-game, that depends on how you want it to work. Do you want it to replace an existing texture, or do you want it in addition to those already available?

Were did you download the plugin from, and which version? Most likely you're running a 64-bit OS. The version in the official GIMP Plug-ins Registry is only for 32-bit OS. Be sure you download it from Code Google.

The normalmap plugin is also available at Code Google.

Cheers!

Were did you download the plugin from, and which version? Most likely you're running a 64-bit OS. The version in the official GIMP Plug-ins Registry is only for 32-bit OS. Be sure you download it from Code Google.

The normalmap plugin is also available at Code Google.

Cheers!

It's been a while, so I don't recall where I got the plugin. I'm pretty sure I followed a link from the Gimp.org website, though. I was using Windows XP (32-bit) at the time, so I don't think my OS was the issue (although that's a very good point to bring up). In any case, I have a working setup now so I'm happy. :D