Worldspace Creation Questions

Awevalan

From everything I have read about the subject Cyrodiil is made up of a total of ~12 quads (each quad being 32 cells by 32 cells) The worldspace (called Tamriel in the CS) is 14,528 cells (17,024 square if you take into account the giant black space that completes it).

So, if the above is right, then a world with dimensions 156 cells x 140 cells would be comprised of ~14 quads, correct? The world in question is not going to fill the entire space but may actually fill an oval shape to simulate an actual planetary layout within the given coordinates.

156 / 32 = 4.875

140 / 32 = 4.375

Since you can't have a partial quad, both sides of your rectangle would have to be rounded up to 5, so therefore your worldspace would need at least 5 quads x 5 quads, or 25 quads in total. The quads don't need to be entirely filled with content though.

Okay now given that the worldspace would be 25 quads would there be any limitation in the CS (with or without CSE as well) that I would need to worry about? I already have the worldspace itself in an un-mastered .esm so that I don't suffer the RAM usage from loading up Oblivion.esm for no reason. Any recommendations on this front? I am also subdividing the land into a manageable grid so that, once land is actually sketched out, I can plan the content better and go from there. Not every single cell will have content obviously as even Cyrodiil in all her glory didn't but I do want to have a more sizable influence from the sea as well.

The main limitiation is RAM... once a file gets to about 40-50 MB, the CS starts getting rather unstable. It will probably help if you can apply some sort of 4GB patch to the CS (I've never tried it though). Also, if you don't have Oblivion.esm as a master, you're going to have to create a base object for every single tree, rock and flower... not recommended unless you're making a total conversion like Nehrim.

I have performed the 4GB patch which has been working wonders for me. http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

The next question relates to Heightmap Editing. Whenever I have attempted to work on a world space I have usually just used land textures that the Region Editor's objects tab generated to outline the islands so I know what to raise and lower initially with the Landscape Editor. After getting an island either outlined or completely just above sea-level I then would go into the Heightmap Editor and use the "Cake Method" to build up the elevations before softening it all out. I have read that a way around these extra steps is to overlay 1024x1024 pixel pictures into the Editor but I can't get it to work. When I go to the CS Wiki it states that the overlay function is no longer supported...so...is there a way around this? Or do I have to basically eyeball the drawn out image and try and make it look the same in the Region Editor?

Also is there a way to perhaps superimpose my map image so that I can create the world from it or would I literally have to eyeball it as stated above?

This is the map I created from my hand-drawn example. I was hoping to make the heightmap using this or at the very least overlay the squares so that I can actually just draw over it using the Heightmap Editor. If someone knows how to make one method or the other work that would be great!

Can't help you with heightmaps unfortunately - other than dabbling with them a little and abandoning them, I don't have any experience with them. But you appear to be a resourceful modder, able to find solutions without someone holding your hand. :smile:

Our resourcefulness is our bread and butter...granted I haven't released a mod yet that has had nearly as much exposure as I might have hoped but one doesn't post a mod simply for the fame...they post it to share their passion.

At present I have figured out TES4Gecko (with which I very nearly broke my .esm...but then with which I also fixed my foobar...). The islands are all at least just above sea-level and now I will be moving into using the Heightmap Editor to rough out and then smooth the landmasses before moving into smaller detail post-object gen. My plan is to introduce noise into the actual planet (yes planet...the reason the map looks like it does is because the main region is shaped almost exactly like those long ovoid-ish maps of our very own Earth) so that the underwater realm is not as boring as I have seen it come out.