• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

x0pht

x0pht

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Resolved.  Please see post #6 for details.

If I uninstall NMM, then re-install it under another folder, will I lose all the categories? In particular, the ones that are automatically assigned when I add a mod.  I don't really care about the user-defined ones though.

The reason I'm asking this is because last time when I had to reinstall my OS (i kept NMM on my game drive), I lost all the categories. I assume the category info is stored either in appdata\local\Black_Tree_Gaming or registry, but I'm unable to locate it.

It'd be really appreciated if someone could shed some light.

Thanks.

Edited by x0pht, 22 February 2014 - 06:41 AM.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,078 posts

Every NMM mods-related stuff is saved inside the Mods and Install Info folders you set during the first run of each game mode.

x0pht

x0pht

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Every NMM mods-related stuff is saved inside the Mods and Install Info folders you set during the first run of each game mode.

Thank you very much Dusk.  I completely forgot about the Install Info folder.  I'll check it out when I'm home, and back it up before uninstalling.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: I went through installlog.xml in the Install Info folder.  I do see the info of all the mods, but i failed to find any category info.  I remember when I lost all the categories last time, i did not wipe out the install info or the mods folder.  I simply pointed NMM to the same folders, yet all the categories were still reset to "unassigned".

Edited by x0pht, 21 February 2014 - 11:16 PM.

PillowBitingSpider

PillowBitingSpider

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

would be nice if NMM stored what mods you downloaded to your account, like how Steam stores the games you purchased in your account and allows you to re-download them upon re-installing.  That would eliminate the hassle remembering the mods you had and searching for them again... granted if you were just reinstalling NMM to a new directory all you would have to do is point the mods folder directory to the former, or new directory they are in, but if you had performed a system restore or re installed windows then this account bound library of mods downloaded would be of great use.  Luckily i made a list of all mods with links before my HDD failed and i had to install on a new HDD, but now my list is almost doubled.

However, in the options, i'm more than certain that you can redirect the NMM to the old directory, go to [Settings] then click (for me it's Skyrim) the [Skyrim] tab and the first directory option is "Mods Directory" hope that helps! :D

x0pht

x0pht

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

would be nice if NMM stored what mods you downloaded to your account, like how Steam stores the games you purchased in your account and allows you to re-download them upon re-installing.  That would eliminate the hassle remembering the mods you had and searching for them again... granted if you were just reinstalling NMM to a new directory all you would have to do is point the mods folder directory to the former, or new directory they are in, but if you had performed a system restore or re installed windows then this account bound library of mods downloaded would be of great use.  Luckily i made a list of all mods with links before my HDD failed and i had to install on a new HDD, but now my list is almost doubled.

However, in the options, i'm more than certain that you can redirect the NMM to the old directory, go to [Settings] then click (for me it's Skyrim) the [Skyrim] tab and the first directory option is "Mods Directory" hope that helps! :D

Thank you pillow for the reply.   :smile:

yeah that's what I did before. actually I had to wipe out the system, but I still had NMM as I had installed it on a separate drive.  so I didn't have to reinstall it at that time, but i did need to redirect NMM back to the original "mods" and "install info" folder.  then I was able to get all the installed mods back, but the problem was all the assigned categories were gone, i.e. all mods were under "unassigned" categories.

So this time, I want to make a backup of all the assigned categories before I move NMM to another folder, just to be safe.

P.S. Personally I dont have a problem with remembering the mods I've downloaded, cuz I always manually download the mods and keep them in a separate folder.  Linking all the mods you've downloaded to your account is a good idea, but besides that, in the meantime, i would say an import/export function for category assignment will help a lot.  

EDIT: forgot to mention, I tried "reset to nexus site default" when i lost the categories, but it only worked for some of the mods, not all of them.

Edited by x0pht, 22 February 2014 - 06:21 AM.

x0pht

x0pht

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

OK, I eventually found where all the categories are stored, in case someone else is also wondering.

1. mods\categories\Categories.xml stores all the category names, including all the custom categories, and a unique ID is assigned to each category

2. mods\cache contains cacheinfo for each individual mods.  In each corresponding zip archive, there's a xml file named info.xml located under Data\fomod folder.  This info.xml has the display name of the mod, status of endorsement, AND category ID!

:laugh:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, nmm, re-install, category

Page loaded in: 0.833 seconds