360 epic fail rate

JimboUK

if anyones going to buy a 360, just make sure it has the "falcon" chip set, its smaller + less prone to RRoD then the original. all new systems should have it but make sure your game store doesnt have out-dated stock.

also look out for the benq drive dvd drive, ( possibly elite only not sure yet )

together they make ur system run alot smoother, use alot less power ( the main prob with the original is overheating of the chip was melting soldering, hence RRoD so frequently ) and the dvd drive is SO SO SO much quieter.

but yeah, my advise for op, hang out there with ur ps3 if you liek your rgs, theres some killer titles comming, and this makes it worth while IMO =

thats the ps3 only version, its pretty much FF7.

then thats the version comming out on the 360 and ps3, which looks alot like FF8 lol.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a YouTube video on the cause of the RROD and will post here if I find it again.

The problem apparently is overheating. And it is not the fault of the CPU or GPU being too powerful. They were too cheap to use proper metal heat dissapators and used 3 pieces of foam instead. Geesh...if you think you might get the RROD, you can avoid it by replacing the pieces of foam with a few pennies completely wrapped in electric tape.

If you already have the RROD, you will still need to replace the foam but you will need to do a "towel" trick to get rid of the Red Ring error.

I did not find a "clean" towel trick on YouTube so I won't be linking to any of them here but the gist of it is that if the red rings do not go away after you fix the overheat issue, you can wrap your XBOX with multiple towels to cause it to overheat (a different error code apparently) and then let it cool down for 30 minutes or so and power it back on. It has been suggested that you disconnect the hard drive and remove any game DVD in the drive before attempting this.

LHammonds

I have a 360. I traded from a PS3 and I half wish I hadn't. I got it for Forza III (Awesome game) and Fallout 3, you know, when Beth said there wouldn't be any DLC for PS3 and then magically changed their minds. I was also annoyed to find out that M$'s recent EcksBocks update affects the bootloader thingy and that there is a 1 in 1000 chance your console will be bricked. Approx. 31M sales worldwide. Thats a lot of bricks.

i dont understand that, so u get RRoD from overheating, why doesnt it go away after system has cooled down? i was always told it was something to do with overheating loosing soldering?
The RROD error may not reset itself depending on the condition of the error. The towel trick is to done to force a different error code that causes the RROD and when the system is cooled down, it realizes the problem has been corrected and resets the RROD error. Whatever the exact error with the foam thingies does not seem to be the same error when you use the towel trick.

I'm not sure since I do not know the exact error codes or the mechanisms of how/why/when the codes are re-checked to see if they need to be reset. I just know that if you replace the foam with pennies and still cannot get the system to boot, the towel trick is the next thing to try...but you'd best disconnect the hard drive and remove any DVD to make sure they are not damaged in the process.

If I thought that I might get the RROD on mine, I'd do the penny trick BEFORE I get the RROD so I'd avoid the towel trick altogether. But I've had my 360 for quite some time and never had a problem with it (** knocked on wood **). When I got it, I also purchased the add-on cooling pack that goes on the back to help keep it cool...although it is quite noisy, it seems to have been doing the job.

LHammonds

its anoying, im dying for natal to come out, yet im worried my 360 wont work by then ( 3 year warrently almost up >< )

i lvoe my 360 to bits, except for the fast it RROD 4 times already.

Actually you don't have to worry about your 3 year worrenty no matter what microsoft will fix your 360 for free, so don't worry.

Also everyone who keeps getting RROD's just stop playing it after 6 hours. I mean any system you play for longer than that is prone to breaking. The 1st and only time this ever happened to me was when I played my 360 for literally 12 hours straight. Eventhough you can play it for that long you should usually only play it for 6-8 hours. 6 if you want to play it safe.

By the way it is true that the PS3 is lees prone to breaking, but a friend of mine used to have a PS3 and he accindentally left it on all day. The next day it was broken, so he called Sony and asked him if he could send it in to get it fixed and they wouldn't do it. Of course his warranty was gone, but still at least Microsoft will fix it for free if it breaks whether you have a warranty or not.

Of course all you PS3 fanboys will say other wise, and tell me to stop loving the 360 so much,but I can't help it. Especially since 95% of our games are better than the PS3's or the Wii's so... SUCK ON THAT! :whistling: :thumbsup: :thanks:

I tried every trick in the book without getting it repard by some pc shop that repairs them for you at the end of it all, its the fact that the xbox 360 doesn't have heatsink on top to of the ati chipset, and the sadar is of low quality to. It doesn't matter what you do it'll still over heat, trust me, that's why i gave mine away.

poor quality, thats all it is.

Also if you ever overheat it to much before you get it repard, the sadar will melt and impede on the motherbaord and it'll stop running, or constant red ring of death all the time. "Thats when its to late".. Its a design flaw.