Moar bullet casings

Bottletopman

I suck pretty badly with blender, as for the past 3 days I've been wondering how to split a single mesh into a separate one, in order to create a mod that addresses the issue of incorrect bullet casings assigned to the weapons of New Vegas. Right now, the AMR spits out 7.62 shells instead of the .50 MG cartridge it actually uses, and the K-9000 and FIDO both spit out assault rifle casings despite using PISTOL rounds.

The problem is that there are no casing models for the 12.7mm, .50MG and .22 LR rounds, the 9mm and 10mm weapons use the 45calshellcasing model which doesn't seem too bad, considering that 9mm and 10mm is very close in diameter to the .45 casing.

However, I was hoping somebody experienced with blender could separate the CRAFTING ITEM model that is the bullet casings, as they seem to have their own models for each of the bullets...

Yes! And if you're ok with it I want to upload it as a mod to the nexus, I'll credit you of course.

I was wondering if you also wanted to do the 9mm and 10mm rounds as they have crafting items with their own models (case, 9mm; case, 10mm etc.) so I was thinking that all that was needed was to use the model of the crafting items and separate one bullet and make that as its own model.

Yes! And if you're ok with it I want to upload it as a mod to the nexus, I'll credit you of course.

If you want me to help you out that's not a problem. If you want me to upload/publish the mod, not problem. There might be certain circumstances where someone uploads someone else's work, for instance if they can't get online, but obviously this isn't the situation. You have 249 posts, so your not new to nexus. So yeah, I'm puzzled why you would request that.

I was wondering if you also wanted to do the 9mm and 10mm rounds as they have crafting items with their own models (case, 9mm; case, 10mm etc.) so I was thinking that all that was needed was to use the model of the crafting items and separate one bullet and make that as its own model.

Sure

lol whoops, forgot to add that uploading it yourself would be great too, it's just that I was working on making more bullet casings but I couldn't for the life of anyone work out how to use Blender, and just once I'd like to upload a mod that gets a fair bit of downloads heh. I also have a lot of time on my hands having just graduated from high school so in case you were busy or something, I'd be happy to upload in your name.

Also, do you have the textures for these casing types?

I don't think the textures have editor IDs as I can't seem to find them in the GECK, but they are located in the textures2.bsa archive under projectiles, I think the non-shotgun shell textures actually use the same texture, as there's only 3 notable ones I could find:

shells_20ga.dds

shells.dds (this is the 12ga version)

357shell.dds (the thing is .357 casings are already in the game, along with .44 magnum)

Only the 12.7, .50MG and .22 LR along with 20 ga casings don't have their own casing model/texture, 9mm and 10mm would be nice but I think the differences would be too negligible.

Assuming you have FOMM's BSA browser, you can find the normals for these textures too, they have identical filenames but with a _n suffix.

the crafting case nifs are found under meshes\projectiles\shellcasingsphysics\

Edited by Bottletopman

I don't think the textures have editor IDs...the crafting case nifs are found under meshes\projectiles\shellcasingsphysics\

Ok I think we may have a misunderstanding here. The following nifs are in the shellcasingsphysics directory;

FILE 12gashells.nif

FILE 20gashells.nif

FILE 22lrcasings.nif

FILE 308casings.nif

FILE 357shellcasing.nif

FILE 44magnumcasing.nif

FILE 4570shellcasing.nif

FILE 45calshellcasing.nif

FILE 50calcasings.nif

FILE 556mmcasings.nif

FILE 762mmshellcasing.nif

FILE 9mmcasings.nif

FILE assaultrifleshellcasing.nif

FILE shotgunshell.nif

So I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how you want me to separate the casings from the bullet of the 12.7, .50mg and 22LR ammo, if we don't have the models.

Yeah, I was referring to the textures as you were asking me to point you to the editor IDs.

I tried to separate the casings by editing the meshes in Blender, apparently it's possible but not with my understanding of Blender.

EDIT: What I mean is that the model appears as multiple shell casings, so I want to take one, and make that as a separate model to use for when guns are ejecting brass

2ND EDIT: Alternatively, if it's simpler, you could create custom models then apply the (custom?) textures to them

Edited by Bottletopman