BSOD in FO3

nfckitten

I keep getting a B.S.O.D. every time I play FO3, I have Uninstalled, re-installed and updated the game to the latest patch, originally I thought it was Fook2 but after I redid the Un/Reinstall of the game it kept happening, I tried dropping the AA and AF settings... Now I have searched every where, I have tried everything... well... not everything I guess... or I wouldn't have the problem... But anywho... yeah, Fallout 3 is the ONLY game that BSODs, and I play quite a few games... The only thing I can think of now is it could be my nVidia drivers, which were the latest as of a couple of days ago... but I don't hear anyone else suffering from this problem...

The problems actually started after I installed Fook2 (Which meant I had to install FOSE) but I run a completely clean of any mod copy now...

My System Specs...

Intel Core2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz

Asus nVidia EN9800GT

Creative ExtremeAudio X-Fi sound

3.50GB Ram (it should be 4gig... but, well, you get that...)

I have Fallout 3 + all 5 DLC's

Any help would be appreciated...

And thank you in advance...

What is the error/driver/stopcode that shows up on your BSOD?

I really wish I knew... it restarts before I even have a chance to blink... Gotta love XP - Home (Of which I forgot to mention...)

You might try the 181.22 or the 185.85 and see if one of those works better.

I really was hoping not to do it, but I will downgrade now... and if they don't work, just found out that they released an updated driver yesterday...

Thanks... now lets dive in... >.<

After digging around in my event viewer I found this error under Applications...

Faulting application fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, faulting module fallout3.exe, version 1.7.0.3, fault address 0x0074de75.

It SEEMS to say there is something wrong with fallout... but... I am not that well informed on error messages...

I will dig a little deeper... maybe force it to crash so I can get the error reports from a time that I know it was a BSOD...

*EDIT*

Oh yeah... the BSOD error I guess is...

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bd16cc47, parameter3 b3940a90, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Well, that's the error report anyways...

*/EDIT*

Try this so you can see the stopcode and possibly what file is causing the problem:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System

2. Go to Advanced

3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...

4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Yeah... got that from another forum about general BCCodes... start up FO3... no crash... no BS... I was like... wtf??? Oh come on... I played for about 20-30 minutes... Gave up... started reading forums here and am now copying all my mods back in so I can see if I can force it to BS again...

YAYAYAYAYAYAY...

Never thought I would be happy for a BS...

Buuuuuuhhhhhttttt....

My little BSOD came up with this...

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBD16CC47, 0xB3970A90, 0x00000000)

(And here is a little indication that it DOES have something to do with my Video Card... God Damn it...)

NV4_disp.dll - Address BD16CC47 base at BD045000, Date stamp 4A5CE1B1

YAYAYAYAYAYAY...

Never thought I would be happy for a BS...

Buuuuuuhhhhhttttt....

My little BSOD came up with this...

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBD16CC47, 0xB3970A90, 0x00000000)

(And here is a little indication that it DOES have something to do with my Video Card... God Damn it...)

NV4_disp.dll - Address BD16CC47 base at BD045000, Date stamp 4A5CE1B1

Sadly the messages are almost useful without the complete background (that dump) and even it is beyond the understanding of mere mortals. but at least they show the address each device was at the instant.

Are you overclocking the system in any way? This kind of BSOD is related with hardware issues or what the OS think to be. Or things that corrupts the OS functioning in such a way that continuing could corrupt the whole system and data.

Try deleting the fallout3.ini file, even if you did uninstall the game to install again, Both, it and the /data folder are preserved (what leads to you deleting or renaming the Fallout 3 installation folder before reinstall, better yet, do it for the one in the documents structure too). There is a directive for Oblivion that says you should uninstall using the setup on DVD instead the Control Panel, it may be the same for Fallout 3. Remove (after backup) the early savegames too, once you have the system working again you can return them, one at a time ...and testing before bringing the next.

If afterward the issue persists you should watch your hardware environment, looking mainly for heat issues but not limited to it (better yet, do it first).

PS: Something that can be extremely useful to trace down the trouble is you trying to identify the circumstances/events/actions just before the BSOD.

BUT BY ALL MEANS make sure to delete the fallout3.ini, since it may have harmful (video or otherwise) configurations.

*CUT FOR PROSPERITY*

BUT BY ALL MEANS make sure to delete the fallout3.ini, since it may have harmful video configurations.

Well, I got rid of every trace I could find of FO3 when I uninstalled it at the advise if another person...

But I can tell you, the heat was fine, actually it was below normal for most game play sitting at around 45 degrees Cel (113 Deg Far) seeing as the game would crash and BS within minutes of starting play...

No overclocking... yet... I wanna but that's another story... >.<

But it mostly happens while leaving the Vault for the first time... after the recheck of what stats you want and your name and all that crap...

But it is random, sometimes I can get into the wastes and run around for a few minutes, sometime, like before I dumped all those mods in just before, I ran around for a good 20 to 30 minutes with no crash...

The thing that gets me is that it all started happening when I started to introduce mods back after installing Fook2 Beta... cos I played just FOOK2 for a while, I got up to the Citadel...

But I did get a couple when I upped my AA and AF... but I got that back into working order... after a little work... 2x and 15x I can handle (Respectively, if anyone has an EN9800GT and are wondering)

but yeah... it's now back at default so I don't think it's that... (from a default Fallout3.ini)

I thought it maybe overheating but my computer is basically new... it is only a month old... and all other games work, like TD:U, CS:S, UT3, The Sims 3, X3:TC and C&C3 (Yeah... I think I like the number 3 too much as well... >.<) and all of these games have max settings basically... well from memory... and are all running at 1920x1080... just like Fallout3... hell I run SC:FA with both monitors... Which brings me to the reason I am here at the Nexus... I personally think it's Fallout 3... it's the only game that does it...

I hope this is enough info to get a general picture of what I am doing... And what I can do...