• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8184 replies to this topic

casnimot

casnimot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

By the way, panic isn't that big a deal for me, unless countries are guaranteed to leave the council at the end of the month at 100 panic.  And I actually want to see a few leave the council because I'm playing the Liberators SW switch, I just don't want to get to January and find out that the aliens are going to win no matter what I do.  I figure that if they can guarantee a council departure, then I can take a country back just to inevitably lose it again.  That could get less fun.

casnimot

casnimot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

No, changing the UFO_LIMIT value definitely had an effect.  Maybe the other one is baked in, but apparently not UFO_LIMIT.  [ETA: actually, both have to be editable.  Otherwise I would not have been able to keep South Africa orange.]

Edited by casnimot, 05 April 2014 - 04:48 AM.

Amineri

Amineri

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,927 posts
Just an FYI, I came across some interesting to-hit chance behavior (and this is completely vanilla behavior... not anything we've changed).

If shooting at close range at a unit with very high defense (maybe is hunkered down or in a dense smoke grenade behind cover), the short-range to-hit bonus is apparently applied in a somewhat strange manner, after aim + defense is clamped to be no less than 0.

For example, a unit with 60 aim shooting at close range (+25) at a unit hunkered down in full cover :
Total to-hit : 25%
Aim : 60%
Range : 25%
Full Cover : -45%
Hunkered Down : -45%

This should add up to -5%, which should be clamped to 1%, but instead it appears that the aim + cover + hunker is being added first (60 - 45 - 45) = -30, and is then clamped to 0, and THEN the +25 range bonus is applied. As I moved the shooting unit around the total to-hit always remained equal to the range bonus.

I think this explains why so many players comment on the 2k forums about being shot while hunkered down, leading to the suspicion that the AI is somehow cheating. This isn't the case -- it's simply that the to-hit chances at close range aren't what players expect. Since the AI rarely hunkers down, this isn't exposed to the player. I didn't know about it until my recent testing, and I've never seen it reported anywhere.

I'm not sure whether to classify this as a poorly documented (and displayed) feature or a bug...

xwynns

xwynns

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
In response to post #13543100. #13561838, #13562218, #13565468 are all replies on the same post.

Does the alien fusion lance really have 50 pen? In vanilla it has 25.
If it is 50 then you have it right.
Other minor factors would be Armored Fighters Foundry project (not sure how much it is) and if the battleship is actually an assault carrier which is armor 18.

Aledeth

Aledeth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
In response to post #13570373. #13571155, #13571395, #13572027, #13572850 are all replies on the same post.

That's awesome. Much rather have the ability to protect myself, at least somewhat from flanking attacks VS guaranteed immunity.

Beaglerush

Beaglerush

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Just an FYI, I came across some interesting to-hit chance behavior (and this is completely vanilla behavior... not anything we've changed).

If shooting at close range at a unit with very high defense (maybe is hunkered down or in a dense smoke grenade behind cover), the short-range to-hit bonus is apparently applied in a somewhat strange manner, after aim + defense is clamped to be no less than 0.

For example, a unit with 60 aim shooting at close range (+25) at a unit hunkered down in full cover :
Total to-hit : 25%
Aim : 60%
Range : 25%
Full Cover : -45%
Hunkered Down : -45%

This should add up to -5%, which should be clamped to 1%, but instead it appears that the aim + cover + hunker is being added first (60 - 45 - 45) = -30, and is then clamped to 0, and THEN the +25 range bonus is applied. As I moved the shooting unit around the total to-hit always remained equal to the range bonus.

I think this explains why so many players comment on the 2k forums about being shot while hunkered down, leading to the suspicion that the AI is somehow cheating. This isn't the case -- it's simply that the to-hit chances at close range aren't what players expect. Since the AI rarely hunkers down, this isn't exposed to the player. I didn't know about it until my recent testing, and I've never seen it reported anywhere.

I'm not sure whether to classify this as a poorly documented (and displayed) feature or a bug...

That's... fascinating. That explains so many strange moments that left me confused/blaming bad luck. Thank you!

skrzaciksc

skrzaciksc

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
In response to post #13567318. #13568328, #13568373, #13568408 are all replies on the same post.

Thanks for help
I found screen with research upgrades - its really true that to get skeleton key u need to interrogate nearly all aliens?
How long it take?
What about attacking alien base in lost country? do i need a skeleton key anyway? or only for main alien base?
Im asking because i would like to take back some countries asap i will loose them
Thanks for help

johnnylump

johnnylump

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,424 posts
In response to post #13573225. #13573500 is also a reply to the same post.

I'll dig into the mechanism. Note the UFOs on the missions also generate panic (+3 if you didn't damage them)

Insufferable Smartypants

Insufferable Smartypants

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
In response to post #13571631. #13572815 is also a reply to the same post.

Fixed the railgun, thank you for that. I must have fatfingered it while I was looking at the settings. isuppression was =302d Amazing how one little mistake can change so much sometimes.

As for the auto-unequipped items, I mean that they're literally taking off assigned gear, setting it down on the armory floor, and walking away from it. Every time I go to the armory I count the items available and think: Why are there so many of these rifles? I assigned most of these to soldiers! Why is there a surplus of arc-throwers? They should be ready for an immediate deployment, but they're sitting here in crates in my armory. What's going on here? How are we going to defend the base if the soldiers can't keep track of their gear?

I was really hoping that this wasn't by design.

This issue is far and above the most frustrating part of Long War to me. Once I've set somebody's look and their gear in the barracks, it would be really great for it to stay that way - I really hate having to go person by person through everybody's inventory - every mission - just to make sure nobody's forgotten to bring something critical that I set way back when they first returned from their very first mission and got promoted to squaddie.

EW put in a "make items available" button specifically to address freeing up items for other soldiers. Would it be possible to add an optional lock-inventory toggle? Maybe out of the "Make items available" button if that's happening by default?

TerminusPrime

TerminusPrime

Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Continuation of the Lightning Reflexes discussion:

As the discussion, stands there are two options being discussed for Lightning Reflexes:

#1: Keep Lightning Reflexes as is, with the chance to hit the Scout with Overwatch being multiplied by 0.25 after all modifiers.

#2: Change Lightning Reflexes so that the Scout takes 75% less damage from Overwatch (rounded down). This reduction is multiplied by 0.5^(X-1), where X is the number of for Overwatches triggered during the same movement/action (75% damage reduction for the 1st Overwatch during an action/move, 37.5% for the 2nd, 18.75% for the 3rd, etc...).

So far as the narrative on this version of Lightning Reflexes goes, the idea is that your trooper turns the Overwatch attack into a glancing hit; dodging is not as effective vs multiple shots coming from a variety of angles and distances for obvious reasons.

Some people seem to like the tension of having your Scout having about a 1 in 10 chance of dying for performing one of his primary tactical functions; I don't, and I think it's wrong to require players to pray to the RNG gods every single time you want to make use of Lightning Reflexes lest they drop one of your soldiers or put them in the hospital for a long time. It just feels like bulls***; it feels like I'm being arbitrarily punished for employing a class' role _without making any tactical errors whatsoever_. This element of essentially arbitrary punishment and disaster is the same reason chain panic is so unpopular. Yes, you can eventually get DR and adequate armour hit points to absorb the damage, but as a point of fact, that's just not happening for quite awhile.

By contrast, a damage resistance implementation allows you to make informed decisions and take calculated risks; this version makes its use come at some cost and punishes blind, indiscriminate employment of the perk, or over-reliance on it. It also prevents aliens with the perk (particularly Chryssalid leaders) from tanking massed OW fire.

Page loaded in: 0.888 seconds