Games youd play for Story alone

Miriped

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Fallout 3.......

is no way in hell gonna be that game for me. Maybe New Vegas, Maybe. The only one I'd put here for sure is Fallout 2. Only because I'd rather think about the story than the mechanics age.

But to actually answer the topic at hand, My Choice is Valkyria Chronicles. VC I and II are some of my favorite games of all time. SO much so that I can even handle the second being a PSP Exclusive and having to emulate it. Thankfully the first one was released on steam around this time last year.

As I've said elsewhere.

To describe this game i'd say......Anime Not!Europe had World war II, now a few years after it Switzerland if it had an ass load of oil (In this case magic blue rocks that heal, make nerve gasses,Power s#*!, and are great explosives) have Not! American Civil war over fantastic racism against people called Darcsens (People with dark purple blueish hair who are thought to have whipped out the Valkyur which I won't even get into here.)

All This and you play as characters in F**king High school (well it;s actually a military academy but Japan.)

Did I mention I love this game? even with all the quirks and the Visual Novel-ish style this is still the third person turn-based strategy game I love from the first one, just with less cell-shading and more anime cut-scenes.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I really liked the story of Saints Row 2. Regardless of its weird and flawed driving mechanics and hard-to-use shooting mechanics. In my opinion the rest of the Saints Row games are purely garbage, and can simply be played through in a matter of a few hours.

• 4 months later...

Games with a great story: Deus Ex, Link´s Awakening and VtM:B. I´d also like to throw in the first two Bioshock games as they both had a great effect on me, especially in the end.

I play the Metal Gear Solid games primarily for the story. The gameplay has always taken 2nd place for me with those games. Probably some of the finest storytelling I've ever seen in a video game is in the original 4 Metal Gear Solid games.

Another one would be GTA San Andreas. Kind of an off choice I suppose, but I just really enjoyed playing through that game over and over. I even played the optional Zero missions, even though they all sucked, because I wanted the "full story".

I can't believe no ones mentioned skyrim yet?????

A lot of people play Skyrim (and Bethesda games in general) because they enjoy exploring the open world, not because of the main story. I for instance put 100 hours into Fallout 3 and Skyrim before I even finished the main quest. That is probably why it has gone unmentioned.

Agree with above poster. I have 2400 hours in Oblivion, 634 in Fallout 3 and a few hundred in Morrowind and I have not touched the MQ in any game. Exploration and doing what I want is key here :)

The entire Ezio Trilogy of Assassins Creed. Sure Revelations is no revelation at all when it comes to gameplay compared to AC2 and AC:B (pun inteded) but it is a good finish to one of most well written and told stories of modern videogame history. (Come at me haters)

Btw here an opinion on all AC franchise Heroes and Heroines:

Altair: Solid Character for a debut of a franchise but somehow "colourless"

Ezio: You winess his entire life within 3 games, if thats no reason to get attached i dont know whats wrong with you...

Connor: Just boring and naive in an uncharming way, *SPOILER ALERT* liked his father more and he was a Templar

Edward: Pirate

The AC Rogue dude: I cant even remember his name, nuff said, the game wasn't bad though

Arno: Typical french gentleman and the first real (and not too bad, but clichee) lovestory in an AC game

Aveline: not as bad a Connor but not as good as Edward

Adewale: Same as Aveline

Evie Frye: Almost as cool as Elise (Elise is a Character from AC Unity)

Jacob Frye: Wierd mix between young Ezio, Arno and Edward

Edited by Thaneize