How to make Skyrim fun again?

LordSn0w

This may be obvious and may already be your style, but have you turned compass and quest markers off? (and music)

After hitting my first lull in fun, I found it to be a completely different experience. I discovered far more interesting and beautiful places when I was no longer chasing screen arrows and red dots.

Many of the mods mentioned above certainly add to the experience. May I add to the list: Skyrim Immersive Creatures. It is configurable, but it adds some encounters that make victory not a done deal. I have often found myself running away- then subsequently lost.

I think one of the greatest strengths of Skyrim is exploration, and adding mods to complement that can only make the experience more enjoyable.

One thing that has kept me interested in this game is finding mods which make playing on adept level challenging. Realisim type mods help. I not a fan of just setting the difficulty level to max and hoping that would fix everything and make it more interesting. With this approach I have been able to make playing on adept very challenging. Try using the animations mod. I use this mod only for its drinking animation. Why, because mid combat you can't just spam health potions if you do you will die. these really Try limiting your carry weight, play with no crosshair or HUD.Tweaks such as make you re-think your approach. I have found trying to balance Realisim type mods and still make the game enjoyable very rewarding.

• 1 year later...

after 2 years of not having it on my computer, i decided to install it again, but this time on an upgraded system. Once installed, i modded it to my preference and i'm playing it like i just started from 2 years ago, its so unbelievably good bec. now i know what and what not to do. I Enchant more, smith more, train as i can afford it and so many other things to improve my hero. I am content to say the least.

Play a class you never have before, roleplay a character to the fullest and get mods to fit and expand your playstyle. Also mods like Falskaar or Moonpath to Elsweyr provide new lands and content, therefore new fun !

One thing I like to do is really try to 'get inside the character's head'. Refuse to do quests that the character wouldn't do, do them in a natural order from the character's point of view, and so on. It's also great fun to play a character that refuses to do certain things, thereby making life far more difficult when they try to accomplish something in an alternate way.

One of the most fun characters I ever played did nothing but use shouts. He *did* punch things until he got his first shout, but that's it. He also never wore any gear outside of jewelry, and never ever used sneak. He was basically a crazy person running around screaming at the top of his lungs. It was quite the challenge facing two dragons and a dragon priest at the same time. Also, despite his seeming insanity, he was one of the cleverest characters I've ever played. He had a fascination for traps and he used them creatively.

I know this sounds like I myself and insane (guilty as charged) but it's a good example of 'climbing into your character's head'.

One of the most fun characters I ever played did nothing but use shouts. He *did* punch things until he got his first shout, but that's it. He also never wore any gear outside of jewelry, and never ever used sneak. He was basically a crazy person running around screaming at the top of his lungs. It was quite the challenge facing two dragons and a dragon priest at the same time. Also, despite his seeming insanity, he was one of the cleverest characters I've ever played. He had a fascination for traps and he used them creatively.

i love doing things like this too, roleplaying is the way to go for good fun, although i admit i havent done something as extreme.

Edited by Wraithofdoom

A wanted criminal. One who commits crimes in daylight. Want to do a quest in a town? You better sit out your jail sentence or be prepared to fight off all the guards. Of course when leaving the city you have to at least pick pocket someone wealthy and stab a beggar. Also install frostfall and hunterborn. No smithing, enchanting or alchemy. No guilds, you aren't discreet or tactfull. Use a mod to allow killing essentials, screw main quests, anyone is fair game to your crimes.

Victory is achieved when: You reach 50.000 gold, have a wanted level in every major hold and killed off at least ten essential characters.

After victory you will atone for your past sins with a monk/priest character, restoration, destruction rune traps and one handed blunt weapons only. No shield.

Victory when you have zero bounty, donated money to every beggar and charity in skyrim, destroyed the thieves guild and dark brotherhood (either by quest or by killing essentials) Becoming Meridia's champion and defeating the vampires is optional.

Edited by Noortje