Setting oil slicks on fire with torches

Rubicon83

Ok, I have searched and searched but i haven't found this function anywhere in any mod and i must say, i got a little disappointed.

I can't believe there isn't a mod out there yet which enables torches to set oil slicks on fire. o.O .. i mean, really? ..

Yes, I know we start out with the fire-magic Flames-spell, so you might ask "why would we need to?" .... well... realism?? I mean, come on..? Magic and cutting down a well-placed lantern that just happen to be there???.. Gee, how's that for realism.. i bet all those guards strolling around the cities at night just happened upon some misplaced firespell-tomes and thought "oh, great! just what i needed in this dark and dreary town where i cant see s*** where i'm going. Let me get out my torch so i can light this sucker magically." ... magic and dangerously neglected locations for lanterns should not be the exclusive criterias in regards to lighing oil slicks on fire!

Maybe you dont want to use magic at all?
For immersive purposes, lets say the character is a strict warrior type who you dont want to have messing around with magic at all (in this case, choosing to ignore the magic spell you start out with).

Fire-lit torches in combination with oil slicks should obey the proper laws of physics, damn it! ^^
I hereby petittion some skilled modder to do the dirty-work for me and make the oil slicks torch-reactive! :smile:

Is it difficult to script, is that it? Is the desired realism just too hard to achieve?

Who shall pick up my thrown glove?

(if you DO know a mod which already contains this function in any form, please.. be a pal and notify me)

The only mod I know of that lets you ignite them without magic is Sneak Tools, which adds fire arrows that ignite oil pools. It also adds oil arrows that create a pool wherever they land, allowing you to create traps on the fly.

As far as I know it doesn't increase the utility of torches though. This problem always bugged me, especially when it comes to some Thieves Guild quests. As a no-magic character I could just walk up to the beehives holding a torch and they would light, but I HAVE to use flames against the rival guild's banner or lose the additional reward? So disappointing.

The only mod I know of that lets you ignite them without magic is Sneak Tools, which adds fire arrows that ignite oil pools. It also adds oil arrows that create a pool wherever they land, allowing you to create traps on the fly.

As far as I know it doesn't increase the utility of torches though. This problem always bugged me, especially when it comes to some Thieves Guild quests. As a no-magic character I could just walk up to the beehives holding a torch and they would light, but I HAVE to use flames against the rival guild's banner or lose the additional reward? So disappointing.

Yeah, i've read about the fire-arrows as well. Granted, that's a step in the right direction... but... it just blows my mind... something so simple as a fire-wielding instrument like the torch, right? .. invented at the dawn of time, as we crawled out of the primordial soup and hunkered ourselves up onto two legs... it should really be quite simple, its the very first thing that came out of the invention of fire itself, the branch to manipulate it with.. no fancy pants magic spells, no effort to light arrows (which are for killing, not lighting fires), no breaking hanging pottery and hoping that something burning ends up in the pool of oil below....

Just simple, wooden, god-fearing, nature-given, man-crafted, guard-using, moth****cking .. TORCHES!

I cant believe Bethesda dropped the ball on something so simple and self-explanatory. :blink:

Edited by Rubicon83

Well, the torch burn effect is actually a "spell" according to the CK. So it would probably be possible to add another spell effect to torches that ignites oil during a bash the same as in-game spells do. Perhaps an invisible, short range 1 damage firebolt or something... idk.

Actually, I want to mess around in the CK and see if I can do this now...

Edited by Rennn

Well, the torch burn effect is actually a "spell" according to the CK. So it would probably be possible to add another spell effect to torches that ignites oil during a bash the same as in-game spells do. Perhaps an invisible, short range 1 damage firebolt or something... idk.

Actually, I want to mess around in the CK and see if I can do this now...

Lol, god i hope so. ^^

If you manage to do this and put it up for grabs on NMM in a mod, you'll be my hero. :D ... might sound a bit overly-thankful, but seriously.. this has bugged me since the game was released.

Please, keep me posted. :)

Hmm... So far I haven't managed to do it. I can make a custom spell with no visual effect that fits the requirements, but it's not showing up in the list of spells that can be applied to a torch... I'll keep messing with it. Maybe I need to put the spell in a form list or something.

Hmm... So far I haven't managed to do it. I can make a custom spell with no visual effect that fits the requirements, but it's not showing up in the list of spells that can be applied to a torch... I'll keep messing with it. Maybe I need to put the spell in a form list or something.

i got faith in you... you can DO THIS!! :D .... make me believe you're god!

The torches are already on the form list for activating the oil pools via OnHit event. However, torches can only be equipped in the left hand and when "swung" they only block. You can never hit an oil pool in that manner. If you add the torch to the form list for OnEnter event, you can drop a torch and it will ignite the oil pool. However, when dropped torches do not have any light so that blows realism out the window.

Anyway, the form list for the OnEnter event is: TrapGasOnEnter

The torches are already on the form list for activating the oil pools via OnHit event. However, torches can only be equipped in the left hand and when "swung" they only block. You can never hit an oil pool in that manner. If you add the torch to the form list for OnEnter event, you can drop a torch and it will ignite the oil pool. However, when dropped torches do not have any light so that blows realism out the window.

Anyway, the form list for the OnEnter event is: TrapGasOnEnter

Hmm... A torch bash won't work either?

Thank you for the form, anyway. I'll see if I can figure something out.

Edited by Rennn