HELP! Can't talk to followers!

wuruochong

Today after playing a few hours of skyrim, I discovered that I can't talk to Serana anymore. I can talk to anyone else just fine, including my other followers Jenassa and Aranea. The same thing happened before with Jenassa, and reloading to a save before it happened fixes it. But this time the save that works is pretty old and i don't want to redo the quests that i have done.
Here are some things that i have tried:
Restarting Skyrim
Disable/Enable Serana

Fast traveling
Waiting/Resting

ResetAI on Serana
Uninstalling recently installed mods (Quite a few of them)
None of these worked. The only fix it seems is to reload a save, but as I said that last save that is working is pretty old, and i would like to find out what is causing it in the first place and fixing it permanently. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a similar issue then realised BOSS incorrectly placed the followers in my load order, if you use any follower overhaul mods, UFO for example, you want to put all followers mods after it in the load order, there is also a patch of sorts that makes custom followers more compatible with custom follower overhaul mods. worth a shot.

Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem, I moved all UFO plugins to the very top right under the esms. I didn't try the patch because i'm not using custom followers. I also noticed that I am still able to command Serana to do something by holding down the talk button

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am having the same issue, where randomly I lose the ability to talk to a follower. There is no pattern, I have tried it several times, and I have lost the ability to talk to followers such as Jenassa, Serana, Vilja, etc. So it happens to either a vanilla follower not managed by a follower mod, which in my case is Amazing Follower Tweaks or one managed by it. This has started occuring fairly recently like around early March. Something is writing to the Save file which blocks the character from being talked to. The only thing to do is revert back to a save file. It is frustrating as I have to constantly talk to my followers after every step or travel, to see if the option is still there. I have a feeling it has something to do with a script but there is no pattern to reproduce it on demand. I cannot figure out what can be causing it, some mods which I have installed in the past few weeks that maybe can be causing this is Vilja and the Follower Commentary Overhaul mods which makes them speak out more lines. I've never seen this issue before and have been playing Skyrim with the same character for over a year.

If anyone has any idea or if the orginator of this thread found a solution, please let me know as it makes the game unplayable for me at the moment. Thanks.

Edited by mystolle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue. I can't access Serana's dialogue tree, but everyone else I talk to is perfectly fine. I have mods that modify her, but they've never caused this problem before and I've been using them for awhile. I don't use AFT or EFF, so they aren't causing the problem, nor do I have UFO. So I'm bumping this thread in hopes that someone will be able to come along and help with this issue. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I thinking this is the same problem im having. Im always losing the ability to talk to my followers Serana and Inigo when I select them I get a tick sound if I hold down select I can command them to move but cant open dilougue. At first this bug happend to me with objects,npcs then my followers. I reload whenever it happens to my folowers but so far in my save Ive lost the ability to talk to njada, a few characters from interesting npcs I cannot use the bed in ivarstead inn cannot use the bench in whiterun inn and cannot use one of the workbenches in falkreath house. Ive tried everything with this bug, I hope someone can figure out the problem. Its almost game breaking.

I also have Vilja and FCO interesting...

Im yet to remove some mods on my next playthrough I'll update if that stops the issue

Edited by Ash117

• 1 month later...

Bumpin' this s**t up. We need a valid solution for this other than, "Too bad! Go back to start!"

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with the Sofia follower mod. The only thing I can seem to note is that it happens when I tell her to do something (sit there, wait there, attack so-and-so, etc.). But I'm not even certain about that yet.

The primary suspect mods I find is Follower Commentary Overhaul, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Convenient Horses, and the mod that adds the follower. I haven't had the issue with vanilla NPCs yet.

We need to at least find out if there's a better solution than just reverting to an older save, and whether or not this is Bethesda's fault, or a mod maker's fault. And note I'm using the term "fault" very loosely right now as I am very, very agitated at the time of writing this.

Edited by IdealLogic

• 2 weeks later...

It happened to me and I did get it to work without restarting, but it's not a good fix. I use AFT and one of the options is to restart AFT which drops all your followers, reverts them to their vanilla state, and drops any custom armor. As I recall, it did keep their weapons, but they were all reset to a state as if I never met them. I didn't think to use the "summon all" feature of AFT first, round them all up and grab whatever I could before their scripts reset.

Anyway, that bomb worked for me to get control of Lydia again. Now I'm getting the same thing with one of the followers from "Anna NPC" mod. I don't know if I'm okay with Vaylen just walking behind me forever. I can hold the "E" key down and make her "Wait there" so maybe I'll just stuff her in an inn.

Also, I don't think it's the AFT mod either, because if I disable it and just load my save I can't interact with her either.