Why do people believe katanas are the best swords?

AfroGamerNinja

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how modern made katanas would be with far better quality metals and improved techniques, technologies, to make them. Perhaps then they would be far more like those in the legends. Then one could use a katana that is not so fragile and which does more damage, is more versatile in its uses.

Perhaps one day there will be something like carbon fibre katanas.

PS: Some cyberpunk type stories have used advanced versions of katanas such as being lighter, with amazing strength and cutting ability.

I would probably not be the same thing. With a traditional katana, the curve of the blade comes from a differing tension between the front and back of the blade when it is forged and cooled. With modern materials, the curve has to be manually formed allowing for a greater likelihood of flaws developing that would ultimately weaken the blade, or more inferior materials would have to be used. The curve is, in essence, what makes the katana stand out as a weapon and is a factor when it comes to the style of fighting allowing for more fluid strikes. Western swords are not limited by this aspect, allowing them to be made without as much difficulty or tendency for flaws while also maintaining it flexibility and style of use. The method of use is important since quick fluid strikes still wouldn't be very effective against chain or plate armor, no matter what the weapon was made out of, meanwhile a sword designed for piercing or delivering solid blows would have little trouble.

Since people who do these sorts of comparisons generally try to factor in armor, or the lack of, forcing the argument one way or another, taking skill out of the equation.

In terms of a lightly armored engagement, I would actually favor a scimitar over a katana since they tended to be balanced better and much easier to used both in close and at medium range while still having enough weight behind it to stagger a blocking or armored opponent. There is a reason why Muslums were a difficult contender against the more heavily armored Crusaders of the later middle ages.

Vagrant0, I have been considering your fine feedback but have two differing comments to make in response.

When it comes to working with metals we are constantly experimenting with new ways to work with such. Metals are improving also. One day we will have found other ways of working with metal, other than current uses of intense heat, that will gain new results.

Another response is that katanas might be made of other than metal thus obtaining a new version of the old.

I agree that the 'new katanas' would not be the same as the traditional ones but would preserve much of the traditions of the old. The use of such would allow historical katanas to be carefully preserved in museums.

If I was making a 21st century Katana I'd start with a Carbon Nanfibre core. Nanofibre is mostly used in the latest-generation of jet aircraft; it's a structural substance with an excellent resistance to high stress loads. It's ideal for a core due to it's rigidity, strength, and ability to flex slightly on impact without damage.

For the blade I'd use Rhodium. Rhodium is a rare metal from the same group as Platinum; it's mostly used for high-end surgical and scientific equipment, owing to it's remarkable strength and resistance to corrosion and radiation. It's known to hold an edge very well, has top-tier structural rigidity and would look beautiful as a blade. It's got a velvety gunmetal colour and is(rarely) made into jewellery.

A polished rhodium, onyx and diamond ring. I chose Rhodium because of it's enormous strength and endurance, but I must admit it would make a beautiful weapon.

http://s.sitepackage.com/site/files/1/0000/0070/products/42/dejr1010brd_pic3.jpg

I don't really consider katanas to be "superior" to other swords. It's subjective, really, and the performance of each sword depends on the circumstances and the fighting style of the wielder. I don't think there can be a definitive "winner" amongst the sword types - it comes down to the situation and personal preference.

For instance, I generally prefer bastard swords to other types of swords, but that doesn't make them the best.

@Vindekarr: Have you heard of www.angelsword.com? They use really high quality steel to make their weapons and they talk about it here: http://www.angelsword.com/steel_toughness.php

Sounds similar to what you're describing.

Also, this is the store if anyone wants to browse their swords: http://www.angelswordstore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=92. Some of them look fantastic and I want to have one, one day. They're expensive though! Some of them cost more than $10,000, and I've even seen one that was $25,000!

Edited by billyro

Yeah, I've heard of them. I don't think you could make a Rhodium sword in real life; certainly not practically. It's one of the most expensive metals on earth per gram, and the trace-elements(about three grains of rice worth) are valued at about $3500 AUD. I chose it over steel because, cost irrelevant, it would give you a very strong, absolutely gorgeous blade. Particularly Black Rhodium like that ring I linked.

The air of the myth I suppose. It's the reason why people believe that ninjas were black robes and spartian soldiers are bada*** in battle who fought for freedom, because people make them worth a million bucks than what they really are in reality.

I wonder how modern made katanas would be with far better quality metals and improved techniques, technologies, to make them. Perhaps then they would be far more like those in the legends. Then one could use a katana that is not so fragile and which does more damage, is more versatile in its uses.

PS: Some cyberpunk type stories have used advanced versions of katanas such as being lighter, with amazing strength and cutting ability.

I would probably not be the same thing. With a traditional katana, the curve of the blade comes from a differing tension between the front and back of the blade when it is forged and cooled. With modern materials, the curve has to be manually formed allowing for a greater likelihood of flaws developing that would ultimately weaken the blade, or more inferior materials would have to be used. The curve is, in essence, what makes the katana stand out as a weapon and is a factor when it comes to the style of fighting allowing for more fluid strikes. Western swords are not limited by this aspect, allowing them to be made without as much difficulty or tendency for flaws while also maintaining it flexibility and style of use. The method of use is important since quick fluid strikes still wouldn't be very effective against chain or plate armor, no matter what the weapon was made out of, meanwhile a sword designed for piercing or delivering solid blows would have little trouble.

Since people who do these sorts of comparisons generally try to factor in armor, or the lack of, forcing the argument one way or another, taking skill out of the equation.

In terms of a lightly armored engagement, I would actually favor a scimitar over a katana since they tended to be balanced better and much easier to used both in close and at medium range while still having enough weight behind it to stagger a blocking or armored opponent. There is a reason why Muslums were a difficult contender against the more heavily armored Crusaders of the later middle ages.

Vagrant0, I have been considering your fine feedback but have two differing comments to make in response.

When it comes to working with metals we are constantly experimenting with new ways to work with such. Metals are improving also. One day we will have found other ways of working with metal, other than current uses of intense heat, that will gain new results.

Another response is that katanas might be made of other than metal thus obtaining a new version of the old.

I agree that the 'new katanas' would not be the same as the traditional ones but would preserve much of the traditions of the old. The use of such would allow historical katanas to be carefully preserved in museums.

The standpoint of "best" is still largely determined by what exactly you are using it for. In singular combat against an opponent in light armor, where the deciding factor of the fight is probably more on speed and mobility, a katana would probably still be a decent weapon, even if it was made with some super-high-tech materials... But against a heavily armored opponent where you are either striking to stagger or cleave, a weapon designed for swift strikes loses much of its benefits. When you consider things that are in the realm of sci-fi, contained plasma, light, or monofiliment weapons would likely have a straight cutting surfaces just because these would be better suited to the mechanics of these materials.

But ultimately it depends on what exactly you are trying to cut and in what sort of situation.

The standpoint of "best" is still largely determined by what exactly you are using it for. In singular combat against an opponent in light armor, where the deciding factor of the fight is probably more on speed and mobility, a katana would probably still be a decent weapon, even if it was made with some super-high-tech materials... But against a heavily armored opponent where you are either striking to stagger or cleave, a weapon designed for swift strikes loses much of its benefits. When you consider things that are in the realm of sci-fi, contained plasma, light, or monofiliment weapons would likely have a straight cutting surfaces just because these would be better suited to the mechanics of these materials.

But ultimately it depends on what exactly you are trying to cut and in what sort of situation.

In the long term, you wanna favor weapons that deal crushing damage, such as axes or maces, since progress in armor made plate armor cutting weapon-proof. Let's face it, reality will smack you hard in the face if you happen to take the Blades' katana or any sword or dagger against someone clad in a full suit of Ebony armor. Yes, the Estoc sword is a thing, but still...

Edited by AfroGamerNinja

The air of the myth I suppose. It's the reason why people believe that ninjas were black robes and spartian soldiers are bada*** in battle who fought for freedom, because people make them worth a million bucks than what they really are in reality.

Ninjas did not wear black robes but did wear black tunics, including head gear, that was easily put on or removed, which hid them in the dark and which could easily be hidden. Such garments were fairly cheap also. Ninja outfits were based on practicality but it did help that black figures suddenly appearing at night could use 'shock and awe' as tactics. Modern Ninjas (real Ninjas) use modern gear such as cat burgler outifts and modern weapons such as silenced .22LR pistols when carrying out contracts though they might use old gear in traditional training and ceremonies. Successful assassins blend into the population, into the background, unlike such as Assassin Creed's main character.

Ninjas did not wear black robes but did wear black tunics, including head gear, that was easily put on or removed, which hid them in the dark and which could easily be hidden. Such garments were fairly cheap also. Ninja outfits were based on practicality but it did help that black figures suddenly appearing at night could use 'shock and awe' as tactics. Modern Ninjas (real Ninjas) use modern gear such as cat burgler outifts and modern weapons such as silenced .22LR pistols when carrying out contracts though they might use old gear in traditional training and ceremonies. Successful assassins blend into the population, into the background, unlike such as Assassin Creed's main character.

Can we all agree that the most known assassins are the worst ones?