Playing a super mutant. Does this exist? Is it possible?

Nagaoka

Hi guys, I'm new. I'm also curious. Is there a mod out there, finished or in progress, that deals with playing as a super mutant? I've been searching around and I just haven't found one. I thought it was a little strange since it seems like it would be something that a lot of people would like to see (here's hoping for New Vegas or Fallout 4 for it happening officially).

I can imagine it wouldn't be an easy task at all, even if you're going for the simple visual effect of a super mutant character (that is to say, ignoring that everyone would probably be hostile to you on sight, dialogue would be different, super mutants would be friendly and talk, radiation immunity, and other such gameplay effects). I believe all the viewmodels would have to be changed, something would have to be done about the pipboy, armor obviously no longer fits the model, and perhaps the biggest hurdle would be that the player character's rig/animations would all be off due to the different locations/proportions of the joints (at least, I assume this would be so). There's probably quite a few more things I'm forgetting.

So it's no easy task I'm sure, but I still gotta ask if someone's done it, or if the reason it hasn't been done is that it's just not possible. Some of the mods you guys make are nothing short of astounding...things you'd never dream were possible with the game, but I know there are limits.

So. Super mutant player character. Does it exist? Is it possible? Did I just completely miss any threads that would answer my question while searching?

If you searched for it, and you didn't find it, then it probly doesn't exist ;)

I thought it was a little strange since it seems like it would be something that a lot of people would like to see

...I havn't seen anyone express any desire to play a a super mutant untill right now

and if you are wanting to request the idea, then there is a request section for that

Thanks for the replies so far.

If you searched for it, and you didn't find it, then it probly doesn't exist ;)

You'd think that but it's all too easy to miss the obvious when searching. I was simply making sure.

...I havn't seen anyone express any desire to play a a super mutant untill right now

I tend to see it requested alongside the desire to play as a ghoul. I think searching the forums the idea only came up once and nothing was really said about it. The idea of your character getting dipped in the vats is a fun one though and some people have been wondering when you'll be officially able to play as a mutant or ghoul. It can happen in Fallout 1, but you can't play after that.

and if you are wanting to request the idea, then there is a request section for that

Well, I was just asking about it, so I posted it here. Ideally if it existed I would want something that does affect gameplay and story as well as pure visuals...and that's just a gargantuan task. I doubt it'd happen. I was simply curious as to whether it's been done before and to what extent. I might post it as a request at some point, but right now I'm just requesting info. It's also a project I might like to undertake myself, but it'd be quite a while before THAT happens.

Supermutants are creatures, not NPCs. The mesh is not like an NPC mesh. The only facial animations are opening and closing the mouth and moving the eyes. As already pointed out, they lack most all of the NPC body animations.

If someone were to rework an NPC mesh and skeleton to resemble a supermutant and then create a custom playable race with them I suppose then it could be possible to play as a supermutant.