GTX 780 Ti: MSI TwinFrozr vs. ASUS DirectCU II.

Hey folks,

It's me again, but the question this time is a little different. I hope that you all are as helpful as you were previously, even though the feedback I gained wasn't really the one I was looking for. :tongue:

Anyhow, a while ago I made a topic about helping me pick which videocard to get and initially I planned to either get a R9 290 or a 780. I've changed my mind and through thorough research, I have decided to instead go with a 780Ti since I can afford it. Although I'm left with a debate: What manufacturer to choose? I've done some research myself and have decided to have my pick inbetween two choices: MSI or ASUS. More specifcally, MSI TwinFrozr vs. ASUS DirectCU II. The end goal is to pick the cooling that's more quiet.

All help is appreciated, please do stick to the question!
Readme:

Gigabyte: I'm not getting it, end of story.
EVGA: I've heard that this is the best cooler when it comes to the 780Ti. Although, it's not worth it. In my country (Estonia) it almost costs 100€ more than an MSI TwinFrozr. I could use that 100€ instead to buy an Accelero cooler (3rd party VGA coolers) that will beat any non-reference cooler in quite a large margin (including the EVGA ACX).

Edited by K3NERT

I strongly hope you reconsidered getting that msi, the gigabytes far more efficient and reliable, and not to mention super quiet. At 46% fan speed you don't even hear it. Idles around 46c.

video to prove its the fastest among the gtx780 ti line

:dance: :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.

I strongly hope you reconsidered getting that msi, the gigabytes far more efficient and reliable, and not to mention super quiet. At 46% fan speed you don't even hear it. Idles around 46c.

I'm not sure about the efficiency and relative power of the 780 TI in particular, but I know MSI makes the fastest 760 TI.

Edited by Rennn

and reliable

Now that's just fanboyish. You don't know how reliable each card is.

Originally I said something similar, but I edited that out to avoid starting a confrontation. But I agree with you.

Most of the parts are made by the same companies anyway, and ASUS, MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte cards all last for many years. They go out of date before they break 99% of the time.

video to prove its the fastest among the gtx780 ti line

:dance: :thumbsup:

Thanks, but no thanks. Also, that's the GHz Edition.

MSI is quieter.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Ti_Gaming/23.html

compare: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_780_Ti_Direct_Cu_II_OC/23.html

and reliable

Now that's just fanboyish. You don't know how reliable each card is.

Thanks.

Edited by K3NERT

I go by a make and i stick with it, just like your msi fanboyism :dance: I stick by my word 100%.

Nothing much different from the ghz edition and the oc edition. Except for the face plate.

I have the OC edition.

Edited by Thor.

I go by a make and i stick with it, just like your msi fanboyism :dance: I stick by my word 100%.

Nothing much different from the ghz edition and the oc edition. Except for the face plate.

I have the OC edition.

What gave you the impression either of us was an MSI fanboy? That's just ridiculous. MSI's Lightning cards are fastest, Gigabytes have great cooling and efficiency, EVGA has excellent customer service and long term support, Galaxy cuts VRAM in order to achieve the highest memory overclocks for a low cost, etc... Your fanboyism is misleading, Thor.

It's getting quite annoying when other people list benchmarks and you just sort of make up facts to support whichever technology you're currently using.

"Going by a make and sticking with it" isn't noble despite what you seem to think, it's lying.

Edited by Rennn

While msi may have faster ram, the clocks speeds are the quickest of the bunch.

If only there was a aftermarket cooler with both vram speeds similar to msi. Each manufacturer has their faults and good points about them. I just go with one that works for me.

Edited by Thor.

Provided a good power supply - all high-end custom boards offer these - clock rates depend far more on your luck with your particular chip than on everything else combined. Gigabyte has the highest stock clock, and while anyone in this price range should overclock manually, setting a higher floor is still good, everything else equal.

Everything else is not equal. MSI 780Ti Gaming is by a significant margin the quietest 780Ti card on the market right now. If you want numbers, MSI design is 9 dB better than reference, Gigabyte's 3 dB better than reference.

In my case it matters because it allows for SLI without the extra expense of waterblocks and voided warranty - this generation of cards will be short-lived and needs to be sold before long.

In OP's case, it matters because - quote - "The end goal is to pick the cooling that's more quiet".