Skyrim: I can load the game, but can't save.

DarkSonicMaster

Well, i've put a lot of effort into this game, and then, this suddenly happens. First , skyrim was not detecting my save files, so i searched for a solution on google. The solution was to go to Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Saves and rename autosave1/2/3.ess.bak, to autosave1/2/3.ess. And then, the problem was fixed, i can now load my save files and do missions normally.

But then i realized that the autosave function was not working, it doesn't matter if i fast-travel, if i enter Dragonsearch or any other place , the game won't autosave. So i tought, o.k. I'll stick with the manual save function, but it doesn't work too. And when i tried to manually save the game by overwriting one of the autosaves, it simply deleted my autosave, instead of overwriting it.

I've been looking around for a solution everywhere, but everyone says "I Can't load the game, when i try to do it , the game crashes, or keeps loading forever" This isn't my case, i can load the game from the last autosave, and play it normally, but i can't save it.

I also tried to delete the skyrim saves folder ( i made a backup before that ) and starting a new game, so it would create a new empty save folder. But the new folder doesn't appear, and i still can't save the game. I think there is still hope , because i can load the game, but i can't save it. It's so frustrating, can anyone help me?

I can't upload the save files here, but i can send it to anyone who is willing to take a look on it, or see if it works.

Please help me D:

Edited by DarkSonicMaster

It sounds like a registry (tells Skyrim where to put stuff) issue or a file permissions (Skyrim can't create the Saves folder) problem.

Try this:

0. Backup and delete or rename any Saves folder you are using, like you did before.

1. Go into your Skyrim GAME directory (Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim)

2. Find TESV.exe, right-click on it, Properties-->Compatibility-->Privilege Level--> Tick "Run this program as an administrator", Apply, OK.

3. Do the same for SkyrimLauncher.exe.

Run Skyrim from Steam (even if you usually use SKSE or another shortcut) and click PLAY on the launcher screen. Just QUIT at the load screen. Check to see if Skyrim created a new Saves folder. If so, you can just copy your savegames over from the backup or restore your old Saves folder and things should be okay.

Edited by Lord Garon

• 6 years later...