CTD when loading savegames

JimmySmash

Now I remember why I stopped playing Oblivion before. I couldn't get it to stop crashing every 5 minutes.

I had a CTD while running around the wilderness, which happens frequently enough, but now this time when I rebooted the game I found that ALL of my recent saves will crash the game upon loading. When I say all, I mean all my streamsaves and one quicksave. The one save that works was done manually from the menu. The weird thing is, I can't think of anything to attribute this to. The only thing I did today was apply the hotfix to Deadly Reflex in order to fix the glitch that freezes the game when you cast a spell. It worked just fine for hours after that. So why now? The manual save that works is from before I updated the Deadly Reflex .esm, if that means anything.

Here's my mod load order. Anybody have any ideas?

Oblivion.esm

Jog_X_mod.esm

armoryLab.esm

OOO.esm

MMM.esm

HorseCombat.esm

TNR All Races.esp (all .esp from here)

nVidiaBlackScreenFix

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

UOP vampire aging fix

Loadingscreens.esp

Chase Camera mod

Alchemists Reference

RAEVWD Cities

RAEVWD Imperial City

Living Economy

Living Economy items

Map Marker Overhaul

Expanded Hotkeys and Spell Delete

MaleBodyReplacerV4

1AlexScorpionSneakingSuit

Armory of the Silver Dragon

AW Wings

Capes and Cloaks

Growlfs Hot Clothes

Persuasion Overhaul

ShaiyaOutfit

JB Catsuit Variants/Weapons

Colourwheels Sexy Armor Replacer

Exnem Runeskulls

OOO.esp

Marts Monster Mod for OOO

MMM Crafting

MMM Looting NPCS

MMM more wilderness life

Persuasion over haul OOO

Naughty Joana

Imperial City Thievery

Toggleable Quantity Prompt

Unlimited Rings/Amulets

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae

Midas Spells

Enhanced Grabbing

Deadly Reflex 5 Timed Block and 150% damage

Deadly Reflex 5 - Combat Moves

Toasters Legendary Skills/Stats/Mastery

S.P.A.M. 100+

Ren Beauty Pack

No Persistent Enchantment Glow

Streamline 3.1

Crashes are a part of the Oblivion experience. It's the game's way of telling you that you need to take a break. :whistling:

There will always be some crashes, all we can do is minimize them.

Save often, it will keep the frustration level down. :wallbash:

Anything running in the background can cause a crash. Especially a program that likes to call home, such as an antivirus program that updates without warning, or an instant messaging program trying to connect. :down:

Start by disabling everything that accesses the internet when you play. that includes the Vonage, Skype, IM, xfire and anything that calls in or out.

You might even disable internet access altogether.

Many programs use an auto update feature - such as HP printers (how often does your printer driver need updating?)

MS auto update can cause crashes. Some of these will even try to connect when the internet is disabled, and keep trying every ten minutes or so. If you can, disable the autoupdate function, at least while playing. :(

Then look for programs that run in the background, they are stealing time from the game and if they don't give control back quick enough - crash. MS indexing service, antivirus progs that scan everything in the background, Auto defrag programs, Scheduling programs all steal cycles from the game. Any of these can cause crashes. >:(

After you have cut down the crashes caused by external stuff, start looking at your mods. Some mods just don't play well with others. And for some the

load order is very important. BOSS works for most load order problems, but it can't set them all. There are over 15,000 mods on Tesnexus alone.

Another often overlooked source of crashes is removing a mod. If you remove a mod that affects game play, it can cause a crash when something from the missing mod is referenced in game. The most common is the unable to enter Bruma crash. This is caused when you complete a part of the main quest with one character, make a new character, load an old save and try to enter Bruma with the new character. There is something (spoiler) in Bruma that references your old character - which is no longer in the game.

Then there are the Nvidia black screen crashes. A quick way around them is to disable both AA and HDR in your video settings. Then after you are passed the point where the black screen occurs, re-enable whichever you use. There are many posts telling what has worked for some, and not worked for others, along with several mods that help.

Try this, Windom Earle_s Oblivion Crash Prevention System :thumbsup:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22282

It completely eliminated my crash on exit as well as some others (but not all)

Note, it is not a mod and doesn't install like a mod, so be sure to read the instructions. :closedeyes:

New info. A lot of unused .exe files left in the /data folder can cause problems. It seems that Oblivion likes to look through all of the unused files and even the extra folders in the /oblivion folder. new recommendation, make a new folder - OUTSIDE of /oblivion to keep this unused stuff. such as Bethesda/Oblivion_Mods. Note that Later versions of Wrye bash already do this with the ghosting feature. If you have a folder for unused mods in your /Oblivion folder, move it into the new/Oblivion_Mods folder. :rolleyes:

Essentially, clean up your Oblivio/data folder and move everything not needed in /Oblivion and /Data to a new folder outside of /Oblivion.

If you are keeping your original or copies of zipped downloads inside of the /Oblivion folder, move them out too.

Also, if you can, empty the windows prefetch folder it may be keeping info on older now unused mods, and Oblivion will look for them if it sees that they are supposed to be there.

You probably won't be able to get rid of all of them, but you can minimize them. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, everyone. Some stuff I knew about, (anti-crash mods - I got em) and some I didn't (corrupting autosaves).

So Stream Saves have a reputation for being corrupted as well? My one true 'autosave' was exiting a building, and the stream and quicksaves were all just walking around in the wilderness, so quick traveling and resting are not issues in this case. I have a feeling that Deadly Reflex is the culprit here, as I also got an error message when I loaded my one good save; one of the problems I thought I fixed with the new .esm. :wallbash:

Oh well. Thanks again for the help; I suppose I'll just play from my one good save and see what happens. I can always quit later and go back to school work like I should be doing anyway. :confused:

• 9 years later...