Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

Current Enclave model (will be in Beta 3) based on Enclave shock trooper armor;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/enclaveMechSmall_zpsbb22ce47.jpg Pic;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/enclaveMech_zps66f1b299.jpg

BETA 4 (current) requires NVSE (makes go model immovable)

BETA 3 Requires NVSE

Here is a quick beta #2 (unrar into data directory, select in launcher of choice). The mech is located at freeside's east gate, near the gun runners, it's 20' tall so it's kinda hard to miss. I have to script a change in the game settings for 3rd person camera, as right now it's too close to the head to see much. Also the world model I made needs a different col mesh or needs it's branch edited, as the model should be immovable.

Right now there is no exit key (won't be until I implement NVSE's hotkey function).

Edited by devinpatterson

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some free time tonight, Devin, so do you want me to start writing up dialogue, settings, etc.? I won't be able to put it in GECK yet, but I can get down written descriptions of some of the location ideas, basic ideas of quest stages and write out any necessary dialogue in the VR sim.

Sure I can always use good concepts/ideas, they appeal to me more than any other part of a mod. I'll probably be modding tonight and will focus on setting up the hotkey(s). But I'm also going to work on some protectrons for the HH ranger station, and some clothes/outfit for Ranger Chauncey the Super Mutant, so I may do some mech stuff in blender while I'm mucking around in it. Probably shoot for getting the crouching position and a staircase to go in the mech.

Awesome! You handle that stuff, I'll get the bones of the VR sim written out.

I'm also happy to help with voice-acting - I'm thinking that it might be good to have the mech's internal systems 'speak' to the player from time to time (y'know, "Main System - Engaging Combat Mode" when the player enters it, "Armour Levels Critical" when the player hits 20% HP, "Ammunition Depleted" when the player's weapons are empty, etc.).

To cover things now -

Are we running with Fallout 3 as a requirement or not? Eg, can we use Fallout 3 resources?

What kind of feel do you want to go for with the VR sim? A high-end mech shooter, or basically New Vegas with mechs?

How lore-friendly do we want this to be?

Should the VR sim be something the computer constructed of its own accord (very mechanical in nature), something constructed by a post-apocalyptic group (using the Mojave as a worldspace), or an Operation: Anchorage-style training simulator (the player's thrown into a battlefield used to train US Army soldiers)?

On the subject of concept, I have this awesome picture in my head of a blend between the two - basically, a Capital Wasteland-esque landscape (incredibly heavily destroyed, rubble everywhere, etc.) where all major factions are much more heavily-armed (Vertibirds everywhere, power armour is standard infantry issue, mechs are of moderate commonality, etc.). Possibly mentioned as being the US Military's post-apocalyptic VR sim if the nuclear war had happened in 2100 instead of 2077.

Awesome! You handle that stuff, I'll get the bones of the VR sim written out.

It would probably be best to hammer that out together since I don't want you to do a lot of work and then have it be wasted if we have divergent ideas. I think most mods benefit from a collaborative process in general.

I'm also happy to help with voice-acting - I'm thinking that it might be good to have the mech's internal systems 'speak' to the player from time to time (y'know, "Main System - Engaging Combat Mode" when the player enters it, "Armour Levels Critical" when the player hits 20% HP, "Ammunition Depleted" when the player's weapons are empty, etc.).

Yeah, that's was the topic I was alluding to in my post, re: being familiar with the stealth suit dialog quest and how it works. We will be using a similar method to create those "barks".

I have to jet for a few hours but I'll try and cover those points when I get back. One thing I should probably comment on though. The VR is essentially a cop out to allow the mod to be used with a minimum of work, but still stay lore friendly. But it doesn't have to be only that. Your quote below;

On the subject of concept, I have this awesome picture in my head of a blend between the two - basically, a Capital Wasteland-esque landscape (incredibly heavily destroyed, rubble everywhere, etc.) where all major factions are much more heavily-armed (Vertibirds everywhere, power armour is standard infantry issue, mechs are of moderate commonality, etc.). Possibly mentioned as being the US Military's post-apocalyptic VR sim if the nuclear war had happened in 2100 instead of 2077.

Illustrates how we can extend it to be as involved as we wish without having to break any lore. It's a good vision (the Capital wasteland) along with much more challenging opponents. I can't say how feasible it is until I can check some of the assets (especially the Veritbirds, and architectural elements in the FONV BSA. But it goes to show the flexibility of a VR environment.

Started work on an idea for the VR sim - will have it to you ASAP.

First things first, though, we need a name for the mecha. Armored Core has the eponymous mechs and NEXTs, Code Geass has Knightmare Frames, Neon Genesis Evangelion has the Evas, etc. I feel that these should have their own distinct name as well.

Started work on an idea for the VR sim - will have it to you ASAP.

Nellis has VR pods, and "The Nellis AFB mission of advanced combat training for composite strike forces is commonly conducted in conjunction with air and grounds units of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and allied forces." So maybe they might have simulations of mechs proposed as mechanized Calvary or one of the armored division (1st is Old ironsides, 3rd division is spearheads), or maybe a whole new mechanized division.

First things first, though, we need a name for the mecha. Armored Core has the eponymous mechs and NEXTs, Code Geass has Knightmare Frames, Neon Genesis Evangelion has the Evas, etc. I feel that these should have their own distinct name as well.

Hmmm I'm not too sure, I'll try to look through some fallout lore and see if they have anything we can adapt.

No, no - more like a universal term for all mecha. As I said, sort of like all mecha in the Armored Core series are referred to as Armored Cores (ACs more commonly), or in the Evangelion series are referred to as Evas. So on and so forth.

Although for that specific unit, I do quite like the sound of Enclave Prime Directive.