Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

I think my workflow will be like this, first I make the initial high poly model, then I make a low poly out of it, along with textures.

Then for the damaged parts I modify the high poly model and adjust the low poly and textures accordingly :smile:

I think you have to, you can't (in any practical sense) go from a low poly model to high poly, or from a damaged to undamaged model.

In regard to the damaged armor pieces, I wouldn't worry about them now. We still need to decide on how many "levels" of damage and how many categories of armor pieces we can have. Since we should have total control over all the body slots (no one should be wearing anything from their previous equipment when the armor is fully equipped) we can have up to 18 or 19 separate pieces. I'm just going to name them as per plate armor for convience (gauntles, grieves, pauldrons etc). Those are the parts we can actively swap out as locations take damage.

But do we want, say just 3 models of each armor piece, with each progressively more damaged? Or do we want 10 models (or more) of each armor piece, each more progressively damaged until the 10th is actually just a stub (and a severed limb)? Do we want a model or two with some smoke effects or flames, or electrical or do we devote a whole body slot to each, or just swing and actor effect that covers the whole armor as opposed to targeting special effects for each piece.

Long story short, wait on the damaged model(s) and we'll piece them together afterwards.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you talked to fallout2am? I might know someone else who could help with the HUD. Guy who made the ultimate crysis nanosuit and I have been chatting.

I did, we've been PMing. Initially we discussed what the project entailed, so she could determine if she could help us, and we've continued to discuss topics related to teh mech thread. Primarily the scripts required for non human-oid mechs and mounts, but also some general info re: animation.

However I suspect she'd appreciate help if he has the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

are we abandoning this or what?

I'v been working on the mech's weapon systems in this thread (which will also spin off into it's own mod as well), Hand/Fist Guns as well as the displaying weapons thread and another spin off mod that shows weapon degradation and wear. So I'v been working on several angles, I'm not sure what your up to or would like to be working on.

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to work on both, I was just waiting for a powerfist/hand canon model that was the same scale as the mech, and for versions of the mech armor that show damage that I could swap out for as the armor gets damaged, or repaired.