Website + NMM Extremely Slow Download Speeds

Deleted5042840User

I've just recently come back to the Nexus Mods site (reinstalled Skyrim after seeing new great mods). I'm keen to test out a lot of the mods available but there's only one thing that's really stopping me; download speeds.

Last time I was active on the Nexus I remember the download speeds within NMM or via the site were approxiamately 250 KB/s (Kilobytes not Kilobits) with a low of about ~75 KB/s and a high of ~400 KB/s; which was great as I'm not geographically close to the file server.

Now I when I queue a couple items in NMM and the download speed per item is on average ~65 KB/s (pretty much dial-up speeds). One small mod with a size of approximately 2,500 KB will take a very long time and once I've waited that very long time an error will occur when I attempt to extract and install it (File corrupt; CRC check failed).

I've noticed there are only 2 file servers available now compared to the previous 3-5. I'm assuming the Nexus has cut down on its infrastructure. My question is: Is there anyway to increase the download speed to at least ~128 KB/s?

(I know that the public file servers are capped at 1 Mb/s (Megabit) which is 128 KB/s)

i believe the most recent nmm update is faulty i have been having problems with it the last two days.

I don't think NMM is downloading the files properly or the servers are just really slow causing packets to be lost during download.

Slow download speed + File corruption is just a horrid experience.

A few people have reported this issue. The inherent problem is that I simply cannot replicate it (see image below). I believe you, but I cannot fix an issue I cannot replicate.

I've set my download location to U.S.A. and I'm in the UK, so I'm hitting the 1MB/sec limit across the Atlantic.

If you want to troubleshoot this further for me so I can at least get some more valid data then this is what I would suggest:

• Open the following mod pages: Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3, Mod 4, Mod 5 in separate tabs in your browser. These are mods I've identified as large enough for a decent download test that all have the easy to use "Download (NMM)" button on the file page.
  • Open NMM
  • Change your "Server location" in your preferences to "U.S.A."
  • Click the "Download (NMM)" button on Mod 1.
  • Wait 10 seconds
  • Click the "Download (NMM)" button on Mod 2.
  • Wait 10 seconds
  • If Mod 2 is downloading from the same file server location as Mod 1 then pause the download, and then cancel it. Press the "Download (NMM)" button again on the file page. Repeat this step until you get given a different file server to Mod 1.
  • Repeat until all 5 mods are downloading from different file servers.
  • Take a screenshot of your NMM like the one I've posted above and add it here for me to see.
  • Once you're satisfied the test is complete, If possible, cancel and clear all the downloads before they complete.
  • Change your "Sever location" in your preferences to "European Union"
  • Repeat steps 4-10 again
This information will enable me to get a more complete picture of what's happening for you. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a faulty line connection some where between your ISP and the data centre that is housing the servers in the USA. The European Union test will check that theory, though the supplier is the same so it could be something in their hardware rather than the line. Either way, it will be valuable information to have in troubleshooting any potential issues.

A few people have reported this issue. The inherent problem is that I simply cannot replicate it (see image below). I believe you, but I cannot fix an issue I cannot replicate.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/underground/attachicon.gifnmmdownloadpeeds.png

I've set my download location to U.S.A. and I'm in the UK, so I'm hitting the 1MB/sec limit across the Atlantic.

If you want to troubleshoot this further for me so I can at least get some more valid data then this is what I would suggest:

1. Open the following mod pages: Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3, Mod 4, Mod 5 in separate tabs in your browser. These are mods I've identified as large enough for a decent download test that all have the easy to use "Download (NMM)" button on the file page.
  2. Open NMM
  3. Change your "Server location" in your preferences to "U.S.A."
  4. Click the "Download (NMM)" button on Mod 1.
  5. Wait 10 seconds
  6. Click the "Download (NMM)" button on Mod 2.
  7. Wait 10 seconds
  8. If Mod 2 is downloading from the same file server location as Mod 1 then pause the download, and then cancel it. Press the "Download (NMM)" button again on the file page. Repeat this step until you get given a different file server to Mod 1.
  9. Repeat until all 5 mods are downloading from different file servers.
  10. Take a screenshot of your NMM like the one I've posted above and add it here for me to see.
  11. Once you're satisfied the test is complete, If possible, cancel and clear all the downloads before they complete.
  12. Change your "Sever location" in your preferences to "European Union"
  13. Repeat steps 4-10 again

This information will enable me to get a more complete picture of what's happening for you. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a faulty line connection some where between your ISP and the data centre that is housing the servers in the USA. The European Union test will check that theory, though the supplier is the same so it could be something in their hardware rather than the line. Either way, it will be valuable information to have in troubleshooting any potential issues.

The Mod 5 you have given is currently hidden.

Hmm, on my end I'm now guessing ISP or something. I'm currently out in the country for vacation, but not too far away from the city (like 70km away from the city and I'm already in the mountains with woods). Yesterday afternoon I reported a speed of 6KB/s here, but this morning I'm getting 95KB/s. Service must not be as good here as in the city.

Hmm, on my end I'm now guessing ISP or something. I'm currently out in the country for vacation, but not too far away from the city (like 70km away from the city and I'm already in the mountains with woods). Yesterday afternoon I reported a speed of 6KB/s here, but this morning I'm getting 95KB/s. Service must not be as good here as in the city.

I don't think it's my ISP since I'm on a Fiber Optic plan and am living in the city.

EDIT: I've narrowed down the problem to my Router/Modem. The Router/Modem had a website filtering feature enabled which exponentially reduced the speed of all incoming and outgoing connections due to its extensive scanning protocols. I've disabled it and am now achieving an excellent ~500 KB/s.

However, I have not conducted tests in relation to the File Corrupt: CRC Check Failed error message. I'm going to test that with a number of large mod files to check that the file maintains its integrity.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...