The media and the mods

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Deepwatcher

Deepwatcher

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 38 posts
I agree. Mods are the reason people are still playing these games. I think it is fair to say that Bethesda owns the games longevity to the modding community.

CowsGoMeow

CowsGoMeow

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
actually on the upcoming game: Dragon Age:Origins, it has been planned to have some feature in the mod development kit that lets you post mods for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 ;)

Macromicro

Macromicro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
you know, personally, If i Owned a gaming company, i would stalk the modding community, and also offer good modders jobs!
not only that, but make modding SUPER easy, and include a Sort of Mod manager with load order adjuster to be part of the factory copy, and make it available to --wait for it-- CONSOLES!! it would add to the longetivity soo much, that it could possibly be around for 10 years! maybe for the moddding community a mod of the month, like ours, but strengthened, and include it for the official mods, plus, the levels and modification could be like spore creatures, plentiful and easy to download, so yea. thats my dream. also, not to put lawyers in my company! just buisnessmen! yea, dont want another morroblivion banning to happen..

alividlife

alividlife

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 490 posts
Good stuff.

Altho bethseda patches make my head hurt at times, their willful and trusting attitude towards the "thinking forward" movement of MODIFICATIONS in general. What they do is ten times worth any sense of protection in liability.

The fact that, I, me.. just a single dude with a computer can completely transform their little product is a gesture that is quite the compliment to be honest.
I can't mod for the life of me! lol

Still, they are a great company, and make a great product, and I commend you, and the whole community.
I can have half-naked warriors, or I can have immense graphical realism. I can have as much content or as little possible.
I still can't have guns in Oblivion ;) lol

Good stuff man.

@everyone --sorry for saying exactly what you did.

Edited by alividlife, 25 October 2009 - 08:28 AM.

Viperslayer

Viperslayer

Herpaderpin

• Premium Member
  • 792 posts
That's so true.

Game Mod Mag.
I like the sound of it.

3rdtryguy

3rdtryguy

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
".....you know, personally, If i Owned a gaming company, i would stalk the modding community, and also offer good modders jobs!..."

I think they pretty much did this past time with Fallout. If you noticed, a lot of really popular Oblivion mods' features became standard equipment in Fallout 3.
Deadly reflex, for example, is largely now incorporated into fallout, and other things too, like being able to tell when a Punga plant has already been harvested.
Personally, I think that maybe they're waiting to see what the Fallout modders come up with before starting to make Elder Scrolls 5. I appreciate that, actually; it should make for a much better game right out of the box.

MRCONER

MRCONER

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
indeed if mods were on the 360 it would be great as my 360 is probably a lot more powerful than my PC and communication is better on xbox i think

Puddintaine

Puddintaine

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Indeed modders are in the minority, probably largely due to the limitations/monopolising of Microsoft and Sony in trying to keep their online services as air tight and controlled as possible. Think what the modding community would be like if you could add plug-ins for Oblivion on the Xbox 360/PS3. The user base would double, probably triple. Alas, it cannot be at this time.

Don't get all up in arms here but.. I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. I never bought into the absurdly overpriced 'next-gen' consoles. Of course I have played them, all my friends bought them and were stupefied at the fact that I never did. Back in the day, and even earlier, games were a bit more creative. A very funny man, by the name of Yattzee, said: "..games could be about french chefs riding giant stick insects while wielding a gun that shoots velociraptors."

Nowadays it seems that the biggest name console titles, or at least the titles that sell most, are boiler plate and generic. Sure, these games may look pretty but most of them are completely devoid of good content. Take a Pinto; not a very stylish car, not too much to offer in reliability and performance. Give that Pinto a flashy and sparkling rice-rocket paint job, diamond encrusted 24' alloy rims and a snazzy two-tone leather interior. It may be appealing to look at but, when you start the thing up and drive it down the street it's no less likely to breakdown and explode in a massive ball of flames and death.

Now, take Max Payne. Albeit, it may be too early to make any solid opinions on the third installment, the latest rendition following the life of a distrait and gun-happy noir detective looks like it very well may hit way off target. A great and unique game looks like it may be mangled into yet another Gears of War, Uncharted, cinematic wanna-be, Arnold Schwarzenegger, terrorist shoot-em-up with your usual sepia tone overlay. Funny thing is, that was pretty much the O.G. Max Payne minus the sepia tone, GoW and Uncharted. There is one undeniable difference, however. The old games were a new and unique spin on old ideas, not old ideas with a played out twist. The humorous and comedic cliche setting inspired some great mods, like Kung-Fu. These games were completely satirical, unlike the third which looks like it may already be developing ulcers due to it's stone-faced and utterly serious design.

Keep the consoles away from PC originated content, like player based modding. Consoles are releasing into the market a whole new collection of overpriced coasters for your coffee table. I'm sure no one wants that to bleed over into the PC world, although it seems like that is already happening. Now you might say; 'Wait a minute, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were released on console..' There are always going to be exceptions. Unfortunately, the dull and over-hyped titles outnumber the good ones.

To sum this up, and tie this into modding; do we really want 'underground' gems like this site to go mainstream? Do we really want the modding communities exposed to consoles? There is only one foreseeable outcome emerging from that route, less open content, more copyright restrictions, and more pay-to-play DLC. Bottom line; I love the Nexus sites and I'm just afraid that mass publicity and console modding will lead to more DRM (digital rights media) and less open source for the fans to tinker with. More media hype will lead to the console mindset of locking out the third party modders and keeping DLC production strictly in-house in order to make more money with pay-to-play content. I hope that if modding does become more accessible to consoles that it will still be based on community content versus corporate content.

Edited by Puddintaine, 27 October 2009 - 07:48 PM.

Birrii

Birrii

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
The reason why mods don't get that much attention is because they don't want to get sued for illegal advertising.
:P

psychophat

psychophat

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Indeed, modding should be featured somehow if it really boosts the game.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.141 seconds