Oblivion instantly crashes on launch?

I had an itch to play some oblivion and rekindle an old machinima idea I had back in the day but never had the hardware to produce, I used to be able to play oblivion on my rig no problem but due to some mods clashing and save files corrupting I uninstalled it. Since last time I had it installed I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 780 and got 8 more gigs of ram. With no mods, no unofficial patches, or OBSE, It crashes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times today, tried every fix I can find and nothing. Apparently I read it had something to do with newer graphic cards on the steam version on the game, which doesnt make sense cause my old card ( 7870 GHZ ) ran it perfectly fine. Is there a work around? Or do I need to get another version? I already bought the game 3 times (once on 360, twice on pc(I lost my original disk and steam is easy)) And dont really want to go for a fourth.

When you change graphics cards you need to regenerate the ini files. DO NOT just copy an Oblivion.ini from another computer as the ini is based off of the actual hardware in your specific machine.

Go to the ini located in your users\Your user name\ documents\games\Oblivion - find the Oblivion.ini and rename it ( that saves it in case there is a problem) a possible rename could be something like Oblivionini.old DO NOT create a new one at this time.

DO NOT either delete or make any changes to the Oblivion.ini located in the game folder as that one is not to be changed. If you have made any changes to that one :pinch: you may need to reinstall the game to fix the damage.

Here is my uninstall/reinstall procedure http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4308533/1/#new

Start the game - it will begin by checking your graphics and telling you that it set your graphics to low, medium, high etc - This is when it creates a new ini based on your new card. Be sure to actually start the game and make a save to lock the new one in before making any changes. THEN, Make a backup of the new vanilla ini. if you have any custom stuff in your ini, you can put it back in but do not make any changes in that new backup copy as that is for emergency use only.