Lag Spikes/Stutter issues

Aldaz108

I used to have a GTX 560 non ti 1gb, I could play on skyrim ultra no lag at all. I had my PC upgraded to the following...

AMD Quad Core 4Ghz

GTX 650ti Evega Super Super Clocked Edition 2Gb

8gig DDR3 ram

1080p Monitor

Win7 64bit

I ran fraps and I am getting between 50-60 fps, as soon as I hit combat or certain areas the fps drops to 20-30 fps. Causing huge stutter and lag. I do have mods, but I had mods before and it ran perfect.

Anyone know why this is happening? I was looking forward for some smooth gameplay while using Epic Gameplay Overhaul.

well besides the 2gb of vram it wanst really a upgrade... your card would have around the same performance if you installed some mods thinking you could play them with your new card thats the reason

Edited by Miguelr23

well besides the 2gb of vram it wanst really a upgrade... your card would have around the same performance if you installed some mods thinking you could play them with your new card thats the reason

It's a whole 1gb extra, when before I only had 1gb. The extra 1gb would help with loading up textures ect... Yet I still get these stutters/lag. :/

Well, when you have battles, with everybody having better textures, the 2GB card may not be enough. I have a 2GB card and I don't use textures better than 1k simply because it will cause stutters in large battles since I have mods that increase NPCs and enemies.

Well, when you have battles, with everybody having better textures, the 2GB card may not be enough. I have a 2GB card and I don't use textures better than 1k simply because it will cause stutters in large battles since I have mods that increase NPCs and enemies.

I am not lagging in battles, it's just in certain areas or random times I'll get a slight stutter or lag.

Same principle applies though, as some areas are heavier on the GPU than others. The from Helgen to Riverwood, Lake Ilinalta's southern shore, the crossroads above Meridia's shrine, the walk up to Solitude's gates... If you are using HD texture mods plus NPC mods, you may get FPS drops in these kinds of places. It depends on your mod list. Try dropping some of the "mods to make skyrim look prettier" and see if stuttering decreases.

Same principle applies though, as some areas are heavier on the GPU than others. The from Helgen to Riverwood, Lake Ilinalta's southern shore, the crossroads above Meridia's shrine, the walk up to Solitude's gates... If you are using HD texture mods plus NPC mods, you may get FPS drops in these kinds of places. It depends on your mod list. Try dropping some of the "mods to make skyrim look prettier" and see if stuttering decreases.

I dont think I mentioned, but I ran skyrim before when I installed it again (No mods). I still got the same lag spikes. I compared it to my past GPU as Skyrim ran fine on that on ultra, and the gfx card I have now is slightly better with more features. I just don't see how this is happening. :/

well looking around i find one reason that could cause stutters: your new card has lower bandwidth 86.4GB/sec vs 128.1GB/sec from the 560

This is the direction i was going in, OP your new card as the newer chip but it has less memory bandwidth.

GTX 560 with 256 bit memory interface

GTX 650Ti with 128 bit memory interface

This will have a large impact on how fast the graphics can update in memory

Edited by wolff956

well looking around i find one reason that could cause stutters: your new card has lower bandwidth 86.4GB/sec vs 128.1GB/sec from the 560

This is the direction i was going in, OP your new card as the newer chip but it has less memory bandwidth.

GTX 560 with 256 bit memory interface

GTX 650Ti with 128 bit memory interface

This will have a large impact on how fast the graphics can update in memory

Alright, but I tried putting the game on low. The exact same stutter and lag happens.

Edited by Aldaz108