Lag Spikes/Stutter issues

Aldaz108

Aldaz you have effectivly cut your video cards ability to quickly load texures in half, yes the 650 ti has a stronger GPU (ie more Cuda cores)

but half the lanes going from the GPU to the 2 gb of memory, think og iy this way, you went from a four lane high way to a 2 lane road

Aldaz you have effectivly cut your video cards ability to quickly load texures in half, yes the 650 ti has a stronger GPU (ie more Cuda cores)

but half the lanes going from the GPU to the 2 gb of memory, think og iy this way, you went from a four lane high way to a 2 lane road

I looked it up, and someone said it wasn't always the case that it makes the Gfx card worse. But, anyways. How can I fix this lag problem? Is it possible? or have I somewhat downgraded instead of upgrade? :/ (I hope not, as I got this last october for my Birthday. Cost me £120 )

You can limit your FPS.

Using the previous analogy, speed limits are higher on a 4 lane road than 2 lane roads for safety reasons. What's happening is that the number of cars is just right for a 4 lane road, but too much for a 2 lane road, so they slow down and get bottlenecked. Limiting your FPS will work the same way as decreasing the cars on the road.

Try limiting it to 40FPS.

You can limit your FPS.

Using the previous analogy, speed limits are higher on a 4 lane road than 2 lane roads for safety reasons. What's happening is that the number of cars is just right for a 4 lane road, but too much for a 2 lane road, so they slow down and get bottlenecked. Limiting your FPS will work the same way as decreasing the cars on the road.

Try limiting it to 40FPS.

How do I do that?

How is these are the system specs, and I am way above what is recommended? My system should not be doing this.

Recommended
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

all dependant on the mods you're using, how many scripts you have firing off etc

Having a beast of a machine 'may' help but more often that not it won't make a difference seeing as the Skyrim engine poops itself if too much is happening.

Do as ChanChan suggested and cap your fps to 40 - 45, alleviate some of the stress the game engine and your system has to render frames and give some resources to scripts etc

You can use Nvidia inspector or AMD equivalent to cap frames.

How is these are the system specs, and I am way above what is recommended? My system should not be doing this.

Recommended
  • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

The lag and stuttering should /NOT/ be happening though. I am above the requirements, also I'll try that fps limiter.

For one thing, recommended specs get thrown out of the window once you start modding. The additional textures, scripts etc put additional strain on the hardware, basically increasing the requirements to run. For example, my rig is above the required specs to run Skyrim, but because of my mods, if I try installing the Hi-Res pack from Beth, my game will lag and even CTD. However if I use no mods and just the Beth Hi-Res pack, I can run the game at over 50FPS.

Lag and stuttering could also be due to scripts. Your hardware can handle the game running at 60FPS, but do the mods you have have the ability to fire their scripts that fast too? Or maybe you have too many mods and can't fit into the script firing time your FPS is giving you? 60FPS gives your scripts only 15milliseconds to fire. 35 FPS gives them 30ms. The lower the FPS, the more time they are given to fire. If the scripts don't all fire within the alloted time, it can cause microstutters, similar to what you are receiving.

For one thing, recommended specs get thrown out of the window once you start modding. The additional textures, scripts etc put additional strain on the hardware, basically increasing the requirements to run. For example, my rig is above the required specs to run Skyrim, but because of my mods, if I try installing the Hi-Res pack from Beth, my game will lag and even CTD. However if I use no mods and just the Beth Hi-Res pack, I can run the game at over 50FPS.

Lag and stuttering could also be due to scripts. Your hardware can handle the game running at 60FPS, but do the mods you have have the ability to fire their scripts that fast too? Or maybe you have too many mods and can't fit into the script firing time your FPS is giving you? 60FPS gives your scripts only 15milliseconds to fire. 35 FPS gives them 30ms. The lower the FPS, the more time they are given to fire. If the scripts don't all fire within the alloted time, it can cause microstutters, similar to what you are receiving.

I am sure I mentioned before that I have tried the game with no mods, and it still happens. (If I havn't mentioned that, my bad.)