CTD on load (sound related)

FadeToBlackk

So when I got home today I switched my audio output from my G930 headset to the monitor speakers to play with a friend. Instead, I was greeted with a crash on load, and after doing some research I've found that this is not an uncommon issue. Given that I've made no mod changes since last night (when the game played fine) I'm 99% sure this is the problem.

Unfortunately, switching back to headphones has not solved the problem. Most posts online have suggested changing to 44.1KHz/24 bit sound, but I don't see it in the audio device menu -- everything is 16 bit with different frequencies.

Stranger still, I'm pretty sure the headphones were doing 24 bit before - they certainly should be capable of it, as my system is pretty new and I have a 24 bit sound card (although the headphones go through USB).

Anyone know a fix for this? New games run fine - I just can't load saves.

Edited by FadeToBlackk

It's not so much the capability of the external sound equipment, it's how Skyrim tries to communicate with the internal sound drivers. My system (with integrated RealTek audio) is set to the 44.1KHz, 16bit, CD quality setting. Make sure you're on your sound card/device Control Panel, and not the basic Windows Sound settings. You might try a few different settings and see which works best. I believe, for no particular reason I can remember right now, that frequency is more important than resolution (bits).