Can't kill Loghain!

coineineagh

Loghain won't die in the duel. Whether I face him directly, or after I do the whole group battle first, he still stands there with 0 HP.

This is seriously game-impeding. I tried searching for solutions online to no avail. I'm surprised it's an uncommon occurrence.

I do have a number of mods installed, But I don't know how to bring up an easy list of them. I'm not even sure if a mod is responsible.

The closest thing to a solution, was somebody saying to use a pre-landsmeet save. I ised the one I have just before informing the Arl about slavery, but it's probably not early enough.

It seemed to work out for somebody who had this issue when he reloaded a mid-alienage quest save, but since that person also has no idea what change caused Loghain to later become killable in his duel, I'm a bit hesitant to replay so much. My only relevant save is from before even entering the Alienage!

Can someone please let me know if this issue has an easy solution? I have the DAO toolset, but don't know anything about how to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any time I have ever run into a problem with an immortal opponent I just went to a save before confronting them. I had run into the problem with Loghain only once, I went to the auto-save that occurs when you reach the door to the Landsmeet Chamber. After that it worked fine. If you went to a previous save and it still is persisting, make sure not to rush through the cut-scene before the confrontation, sometimes Esc keying through scenes can cause bugs.

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it doesn't help. I replayed the scene more times than I can count, with different allies, different equipment and active spells; it didn't matter. I tried everything short of reloading before entering the Alienage. I let dialogues run their course without ESC-keying, too.

The problem is not really the fact that the "zero character" is there. The game creates that npc before moving to the cutscene that follows his death. So the problem is that your game is not moving on past the moment that you kill him.

you can TRY this, tho I doubt that it will work.

If you have not already done so, enable your console. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Console_%28Origins%29

once you have the console running, and after you have killed him and the zero figure appears, try running the console script runscript killallhostiles or runscript zz_killallhostiles

Tho I think that the problem is that your game is lagging out, the cutscene is damaged, or something is interfering with the flags that cause it to run.

I would recommend:

1) Before the fight, turn off any mods that cause the game to lag. Like impoved texture mods like improved atmosphere, combat mods that increase game lag, turn your game graphics to a lower setting, and not run some of the background programs with can eat up RAM. (I've been out of the game for quite some time, so I dont remember which mods can increase game lag, so very sorry).

2) If disabling unneeded mods, turning down the graphics, and freeing up available RAM fails to solve the problem, it might be that the game files are corrupted. In which case you may need to resort to having to reinstall the game.

Back when I played this game, I enjoyed killing Loghain many, many, many times. And when my game was running slow, I can remember seeing that "ghost" that you were talking about, right before it moved to the next step. The game IS supposed to create him/them. However, its supposed to go on and move past that event.

PS- sorry if I do not respond back in a timely manner. I'm afraid I don't have the chance to visit the forums very often.

Edit- thought of one other thing. If you are using any mods that change his appearance with high texture graphics (such as high resolution textures in his face morphs, or hi-rez textures in his armor) you might try removing/disabling those and creating a clean save, that has a slim chance of causing the problem with the cutscene if your game is lagging out.

Edited by WolfenWarden

The Command Console works in every (PC) install of DAO. Every. Install.

So when you say you've "followed all instructions", I tell you that you haven't. You've made a mistake somewhere.

Give more details about your install and what (you think) you've tried and we might be able to help.

I followed the dragonage.wikia page on Consle commands to the letter. It's clear that I'm one of the people experiencing difficulties using the tilde key, though their workarounds still didn't help me. I use US English keyboard on my Toshiba laptop.

Following the instructions allowed me to select a key other than the tilde as the key that would open the Console. Because, yes, I had an issue using the tilde key as well. So - follow all the directions again and select a key other than the tilde.

It has been years since I wanted to use a console command so I can not lead you through it step by step