MQ106 - Delphine's dialogue fails to trigger, MQ201 fails to start, console commands do nothing.

McLarenJAB

Hello all!

First of all, I attach my load order. Note that I've tried proceeding with the offending quests with all mods disabled, after 'cleaning' the save of the scripts they left behind, with no effect.

GameMode=Skyrim

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp=1
Better Dynamic Snow.esp=1
mintylightningmod.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Clutter and Clothes.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Dungeons.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Farmhouses.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Landscape.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Markarth.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Reflections.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Sky.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Solitude.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Water.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Whiterun.esp=1
Skyrim HD Full - Windhelm.esp=1
Cutting Room Floor.esp=1
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp=1
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp=1
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp=1
Dead Body Collision.esp=1
Moss Rocks.esp=1
Real Clouds.esp=1
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
BosmerArmorMATY743.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
1nivWICCloaks.esp=1
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Immersive Weapons.esp=1
Dr_Bandolier.esp=1
SkyRe_Main.esp=1
SkyRe_Combat.esp=1
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp=1
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp=1
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp=1
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp=1
Unique Uniques.esp=1
Unique Unique's_Skyre Patch.esp=1
Book Covers Skyrim.esp=1
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp=1
CZHCAD.esp=1
CZHCAD_DG.esp=1
CZHCAD_HF.esp=1
Immersive Darkwater crossing.esp=1
Immersive Dawnstar.esp=1
Immersive Dragon Bridge.esp=1
Immersive Falkreath.esp=1
Immersive Ivarstead.esp=1
Immersive Karthwasten.esp=1
Immersive Kynesgrove.esp=1
Immersive Morthal.esp=1
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp=1
Immersive Riverwood.esp=1
Immersive Rorikstead.esp=1
Immersive Shors stone.esp=1
Immersive Stonehills.esp=1
Immersive Whiterun.esp=1
OBIS.esp=1
OBISDB.esp=1
When Vampires Attack.esp=1
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp=1
Civil War Overhaul.esp=1
ESFCompanions.esp=1
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp=1
WhiterunAlivePiano.esp=1
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
inigo.esp=1
Skyrim Unbound.esp=1
Skyrim Unbound - Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
Skyrim Unbound - Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
SkyRe_Races.esp=1
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp=1
EEO patch.esp=1
RealShelter.esp=1
WATER.esp=1
WATER Plants.esp=1
Pre ReProccer WAFR IA7 IW UU Patch.esp=1
ReProccer.esp=1
CWIDawnDragonPatch.esp=1
BosmerHuntsman.esp=1
Post ReProccer Fixes IA7 IW UU Patch.esp=1
ImperialAgentArmour.esp=1
DragonPriestMasksHoodless.esp=1

These have all been checked for dirty edits, which have been removed where appropriate, and sorted by BOSS.

On to the issue itself:

In MQ106 (A Blade in the Dark), everything goes swimmingly right up to stage 160 (checked using the console). Stages 150-155 fire correctly - the dragon soul is absorbed, Delphine comments on it, and I'm able to talk to her again. However, she makes no comment about owing me answers, and has no new conversation options - I can ask who the Thalmor are, and I can ask why it's important that I'm the Dragonborn, but nothing that moves the quest along.

I've done a pretty thorough search for answers, and have seen various combinations of console commands recommended as kludges. None of these worked. The stage, as I mentioned, at which things go wrong is 160. Forcing stage 200 to complete the quest gives me the key, but Delphine's dialogue options remain the same. If I then attempt to force MQ201 (Diplomatic Immunity) to start - using 'setstage mq201 1', 'setstage mq201 5', 'setstage mq201 10', or by attempting to set any other stage of MQ201, nothing happens. The console confirms that nothing has happened: regardless of what command I use, 'getstage mq201' returns stage 0 - no active quest stage.

I also tried loading the quest in the Creation Kit, along with my entire load order (which took rather a while), to see if there were any telling alterations that could account for the failure of the quest to progress further. I can't claim to completely understand what I saw, but as far as I could tell, there was nothing at all different to when I loaded only Skyrim.esm and Update.esm - which, to my understanding, means the quest itself has not been changed. I also investigated MQ00, but did not compare it to a 'clean' load.

The likely culprit, it seems to me, is a certain mod, only available on the Steam Workshop for various reasons, which we'll call, say, Zkyrim Unpound. I noted an irregularity earlier in the main quest: I was able to complete MQ105, The Way of the Voice, but it remains in my quest log, the objective 'Demonstrate your "Whirlwind Sprint" shout' still showing. My intuition is that the alterations to the starting conditions prevented some or other variable from being set to 1, causing later problems - not, again, that I'm by any means an expert, hence my coming here.

I am some 30 hours into this character, and would prefer not to start a new game (or, more likely, not play for six months). This is by far the most stubborn bug I've encountered - the rest, I've been able to kludge with the console (though, I'd note, nothing that should interfere with the main quest). If anyone who knows more about these things than me can suggest a solution other than those mentioned above, I would be immensely grateful. I'm well enough versed in using the Creation Kit that I could, quite possibly, use it to cobble together a fix, if I only had the faintest idea what the problem was to begin with.

Thanks!

Edit: Apparently the forum's decided my load order should be all in pretty colours and I can't seem to do anything about it. Sorry!

Edited by McLarenJAB

• 9 months later...