Adding Havok to Clutter Object

Saerileth

I'm looking for a good tutorial about adding collision/havok to a brand new clutter item, preferably one that takes baby steps because I'm new to this. I did quite an extensive search before posting but didn't find much, most threads I found are either people trying to do something entirely different (mostly importing meshes from Morrowind/Oblivion) or start out with "Set your mesh up for collision with Blender/Max" - that's the point, I don't know how to do that!

Anyways, here's what I'm trying to do: I made this shiny new Onyx mesh in blender. This is a completely new mesh, not a conversion or edit of an existing one. I exported it using NifScripts, added all the textures, environment maps etc and it looks nice in the inventory screen. But now I need it to havok like any other clutter object, preferably I'd like the two stones to fall seperately (like the three parts of the Mora Tapinella ingredient).

I've set my mesh up the exact same way as moratapinellabits01.nif (Screen) in Nifskope and then tried copying over the bhkCollisionObjects. But then of course the rigid bodies did not match my mesh, so strange things happened. Next I tried right-clicking each of my NiTriShapes and selecting Havok -> Create Convex Shape. This creates a rigid body that matches my stones smugly, but isn't that much too large? All other meshes I've seen so far have tiny rigid bodies, much smaller than the actual mesh. Anyways it's not working, the stones go completely nuts when running CK havok sim, the larger one falls through the floor while the other floats in mid air.

I read somewhere that you can export the meshes as clutter objects directly from Blender, and that the resulting nif is supposed to already have a BSXFlags node and a bkhCollisionObject. This is not true for me, regardless of what options I choose in the export dialogue I never get these nodes in the exported mesh.

Any insights on how to make this work would be very welcome. I've tried fiddling with all kinds of settings to no avail, and I'm about ready to tableflip and damn it all.

Holy jeez... I was hoping it would be easier.

I tried to do this for a few items and with Nikskope I copied all the values from a havok mesh that was similar to the static mesh. It works... ok. It's not perfect but I feel it's good enough.

Well, this is frustrating. I followed the tutorial and finally managed to get a convex collision shape that looks about right (at least compared to other Skyrim clutter items I've seen). Wasn't easy, took a while to get all the centers right and the transformations applied where they should, especially since Blender 2.49 seems to be missing an "Apply Location" button.

The result is a mesh that crashes both the CK and my game instantly. Copying all the bkhRigidBody settings (not the actual shape, just inertia, all the flags and unknown floats and stuff) solved that problem, but now havok behaves exactly as it did before, one stone goes through the floor and the other floats in midair. So basically I'm back to square one.

Has no one gotten this to work? I really don't know what else I'm supposed to try.

Tamira has been kind enough to help me out with this. Turns out it wasn't my collision shape that was the problem, just the transformations didn't match. She also linked me to this tutorial, which looks much simpler than the other one (haven't tried it yet, though).

Edited by Saerileth

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am now interested in info about this topic and I can find NOTHING online about how to had physics to custom MISC items. I have tried to copy all the settings from various vanilla assets and put them into nifscope, but nothing works once the items are in game. They just float. Also the link you put about a tutorial in the thread above just goes to the Creation Kit homepage and I've looked at every tutorial there and can't find one about adding physics to static objects. I you guys are still alive, I'd love to have some help on this! Cheers!!