How will removing/renaming scripts from my mod affect subscribers?

EasierRider

Hey guys

I've been doing a lot of research on scripting lately while working on a new patch for my mod (The Midden: Expanded), and am seriously contemplating trimming down the number of scripts that it uses. Since this was the first mod that I made, there are a lot of duplicate and redundant scripts in it from the days before I learned about script/save bloat.

So my question is this:

If I delete some of these old scripts, and consolidate/rename others, how will this affect the subscribers to my mod?

I've found a lot of threads discussing how to remove old and broken scripts from the subscriber's perspective, but none (so far) that deal with these issues from the author's perspective.

Any advice, or referals to relevant threads, would be greatly appreciated! To avoid screwing up my mod, I'm putting off any scripting alterations until after I thoroughly understand what might happen.

Thanks!

[EDIT: fixed tags]

Edited by EasierRider

Subscribers? As in Steam Workshop? Faik people who use steam for mods are already kind of out of luck. Steam updates as it sees fit and doesn't actually remove old references so anyone who is subscribed to a mod that has updated on steam must be aware of it's limitations, the scope of the update and how to manually clean their data folders of extraneous bits.

Scripts are usually the biggest cause of broken saves so from a subscriber perspective I suppose all you could do is post an update warning and a description for people using the older version on how to update properly - or perhaps remove the old mod entirely and put up a new one to avoid breaking saves.

The mod is posted on Steam Workshop, but it's also on Nexus. I refered to them as subscribers mostly for a lack of a better term, and I think you're right: the workshop folks are probably going to lose out here.

Do you think that people using NMM, BOSS, Wrye Bash, or other 3rd party sfotware will have similar issues?

You would have to answer that for us...lol

IF you upgrade the mod in YOUR game does it break?

Do you have to Stop certain scripts...do a clean save, then update?

Does the user have to use the "Script cleaner mod" on their save then update?

only person that should be able to answer that is the Author..lol. See if you break your own saves first.

:)

I would say, test this method first on your own game:

1. "clean" save. Well it's not really clean anyway, but what you do is uninstall the mod, open the game, go into a closed small cell (breezehome perhaps? But any emply player home should do) and save.

2. Use the Save Cleaner Tool to clean out messed/orphaned scripts: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

3. Reinstall the mod.