Color-Coded Quest Markers / Waypoints

Bizzquik

Hi all.

For a long time, my biggest frustration with quests in Skyrim is how to keep track of them all.

When the player's journal overflows with formal and Miscellaneous quests, the player has a choice to make:

* Toggle just a few quests to "Active" at a time so that the map isn't ridiculously cluttered

* Toggle many, many quests to "Active" so as to reduce backtracking later

What would be nice is if quests were color-coded on the map, compass, and journal.... This could be achieved by a mod in a couple ways, but perhaps the most straight-forward....

The mod cycles through a dozen colors randomly. When the player toggles a quest to "Active", the mod randomly assigns a color to that quest. Now in the player's journal the toggle arrow next to the active quest displays as pink, for instance. On the player's map, the quest location marker / waypoint is now pink, too. As the player approaches the quest area, the spot is pink in the player's compass.

Result: The player now knows exactly what quest they are advancing, can read their journal again to remember the quest's previous events, etc. This would be much more immersive than simply following one of many giant white Down Arrows on a map, and would make venturing out to complete several quests at once a little easier to plan & manage....

What do you think? How achievable is this? Would it be helpful and/or more immersive?

Seeing as we already have many colored map markers mods, this should be pretty doable.

I personally prefer to just pursue a few quests at a time, instead of getting a bajillion. This way you remain more focused, and more efficient in your Skyrim escapades.

Also, chanchan is right about disabling the HUD. You can get a very nice style of gameplay by disabling the HUD and using the map sparingly.

You can get a very nice style of gameplay by disabling the HUD and using the map sparingly.

Thanks for the reply.

I totally agree on disabling the HUD. That's actually what I do now; I love Gopher's iHUD mod.

Two things:

* I don't know about you, but I'm easily distracted in open-world games. So my momentum in quests can come to a grinding halt as I do something else, then completely lose track of where I'm going - and why I'm going there - as I try to pick up the pieces later. And this absentmindedness only gets worse when real life intervenes and I can't get back to the game for a few days. So it'd be nice to have several quests up on my map at once, each color-coded with my journal for easy reference as I try to get back on track in completing some quests. ("How did I end up here again? Nevermind! There are four open quests for me to choose from nearby here, so I'll just do one of them. Now what were they again? Right, the purple quest is that mage quest.")

* I guess part of the fun for me is in the planning. I can't help but thinking - were this real, and just the day before I had been chased by a bear, assaulted by a bandit, and burned by a dragon - I would probably try to figure out how I could get several quests done in the same day. But I would *still* want to keep track of what quest I was doing each minute. (Go to a dungeon & learn a shout to complete quest one, swing by a bandit camp to kill a bandit leader to advance quest two, and then speak to an NPC in the nearby small town to progress in quest three. etc etc) I could queue up several quests at once, zip from one to the next, and always know which quest I was going to tackle next, because each was clearly distinguishable on my map and journal. (No small feat when you have twenty formal quests available and thirty Miscellaneous quests available.)

You make a good point. This sounds like it could be useful. If you have experience making mods you could start by downloading a colored map marker mod and seeing if you can see how it functions. Or, I could try it. I'm pretty busy atm, but I could maybe get to it tomorrow or something.

You make a good point. This sounds like it could be useful. If you have experience making mods you could start by downloading a colored map marker mod and seeing if you can see how it functions. Or, I could try it. I'm pretty busy atm, but I could maybe get to it tomorrow or something.

Hey, if you wanted to spend time on it, that'd be great.

Thanks for showing interest.

• 11 months later...

Any update on this? I've been looking for a mod that only colors quest icons on the map/compass. Being able to scale the sizes would also be helpful!

Even something that lets us decide what colors to choose manually would be nice. For example, while one may like to have quest markers be a certain color, another might like to assign all their modded locations a specific color, etc. It would be cool if we could right click on any map icon, & assign it a new color, then each player could customize their own map to their liking.