How do I install mods?

redhorizon09

No that's not necessary. It worked. Thank you. :blush: I may have some other questions though. I just downloaded the Phoenix armory mod ( really, beautiful armor). I think I installed it properly. It's not showing up in my inventory...yet. Is it because I am playing Leliana's song. Do I need to start the main game? Could I install more than one mod? I've read the game tends to glitch if you do. I really want to try out the Ser Gillman mod. That one looks pretty fun.

@Looneygalprowls;

The "Phoenix Armoury" (and most other "item" mods) don't work in LS because that DLC has a very tightly controlled environment. The way the adventure is structured, Leliana's telling you the story of something that had already happened. So there's very little opportunity for you (the player) to modify anything at all.

But in general, (and unlike some other games) DAO doesn't really have much in the way of "mod conflicts" that cause the game not to work. While only a single version of anything used by the game can be implemented at a time, you (the player) are unlikely to want to have multiple mods that do the same thing anyway. And when by accident you do, all that happens is one works and the other doesn't. I currently have approximately 2.1GB of mods installed in my game covering everything from spell attributes, to custom robes, to hair textures!

The one exception is that you have to be very careful about installing mods that expand your ability to customize your Warden's appearance at the beginning of the game using the Character Creator. Editing the CharGenMorphcfg.xml file by-hand can get tedious. (Which is why I use Terra_Ex's "CharGenMorph Compiler" utility myself.)

(You have read: Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies, haven't you?)

Two mods that are known not to work well with others are "Improved Atmosphere", and "Dragon Age Re-Designed". The latter only because it's so comprehensive that it's difficult to install properly, and it touches a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect.

Have Fun! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

my mods won't show up, the only one that works is Angel console fix fonts er-1110, these are the mods i have (I'm pretty sure none of them are conflicting)

Angel console fix fonts Dahlialynns

Alistair epilouges - the royal wedding

Funeral kiss

ser gilmore npc

the last night

the proposal

vibrant colours and more hairstyles compatalility fix

white teeth

what should I do they are all correctly downloaded and i got them to work once but they dont work anymore

Edited by AzrazeloAlistair

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this old topic but I find myself in the same position as rehorizon.

Thank you for the responds and help. Yea every mod should have a readme, but the problem is: some don't... or some of the readmes have file paths that I don't recognize such as these for example, which both are for the same mod:

-directory at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override

and/or

-directory at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\modules\Single Player\override

I have Dragon Age installed on my C drive in the program folder. The first path that leads to \packages\core\override I can find no problem, but the 2nd path, I saw no folder named \modules in my dragon age folder. In such a case, what would you do? Create the folder?

I've just decided to start over DAO and I decided to use fan-made fixes to correct most of the DAO bugs. While searching for those fixes, I stumbled upon a mod whose files had to be put in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\modules\Single Player\override according to its author. This mod is Golem Registry and Shapers Life Reward Fix ( http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/335/? ).

This mod seems safe I discovered it thanks to this page http://biowarefans.com/2011/01/dragon-age-fan-fixes/ , yet most of you said to be very careful with these kinds of mods so I'm not sure I should install it...

what do you guys think?

Another mod which uses a similar path: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3858/?

Edited by Guest

@Yorimashi;

(You probably should have started a new topic for your question, since it's about a very different issue than the OP's. But here's my answer...)

It's a bit confusing because the various different ways one can install DAO result in a slightly different set of folders being created in slightly different locations and some authors don't make their installation instructions clear enough to account for those differences.

The folder mod authors usually mean when they say "your \override folder..." is something like this:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override

(Whether the folder is "\Documents", or "\My Documents" depends on your version of Windows.)

Then there's a folder found in your game's PROGRAM INSTALLATION location. Since i'm using a 64-bit flavour of Windows and I installed (my current version of) the game using EA/Origin, the path is this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age\modules\single player

(Notice that (unless you create it) there's no "\override" sub-folder in that one.)

And finally there's another folder in your game's PROGRAM INSTALLATION location that may be the one you're referring to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age\packages\core\override

So, which one to use?

I'd try the more commonly used "\<username>\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" one first, then the "\<Program Files>\\Dragon Age\modules\single player" one, and the "\<Program Files>\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" last.

You should also be aware that the game looks through ALL the folders in a vey specific order and uses the LAST file it finds with a given name. So if you have any other mods that contain files with the exact same names, the one located in:

will be used, not one found elsewhere!

As for being "safe", I've never heard of any Dragon Age mods that aren't. At least, not from a "contains a trojan or a virus" perspective. Some mods are known to cause incompatibilities when used with others (I'm lookin' at you, "Improved Atmosphere".)

Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry I didn't start a new thread, redhorizon's post was spot-on with my question, that's why I didn't :/

I'm also on a 64bbits version of windows and I own the ultimate version of DAO (with the box, cd etc, not the origins version) so I've put the vast majority of my mods in

And when the author didn't specify where to put the files that's wherre I put them.

The reason I'm a bit confused is that the author of the mod I'm taliing about said ytto pu the files in:

..Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\modules\single player\override

which isn't one of the 3 locations you mentioned. Plus there are no modules\single player\override folder at that location I had to create them, that's why I wanted to double check with experiment players :/

You did mention one located in the installation folder which sorta looks like it, you think the author just made a typo and I should just try to drop them in my "Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override" folder ?

And by "safe" , I meant something that wouldnt crash my game or corrupt my saves when I reach a part of the game affected by this mode :tongue:

Well, anyway thanks a lot, I don't want to bother you any further I'll figure it out myself! Thanks for your time :smile:

Edited by Guest

Very, very few mods will behave so poorly as to crash the game. Certainly not ones with hundreds of endorsements, like the one you're trying to use.

And if one does, even fewer will cause problems (besides having to use "Force Load") after you uninstall/delete it.

(Again, "Improved Atmosphere" is one of the very, very few that can cause previous saves to be unusable!)

• 11 months later...

For me everything worked fine, for years I've been using my installed mods (including dazip mods) but yesterday all of a sudden i couldn't load my games anymore, it says UNABLE TO LOAD MODULE. And i have no idea why cuz i haven't installed new mods in a long time so why now? o_O

Now, i've read a lot about this problem and also about how to fix it. But all the advice is about modules and singleplayer.cif in the Bioware/Dragon age/modules folder, however I have NO modules folder there...

I honestly don't know what to do and im really desperate... could anybody please tell me:

1. what the problem might be

2. why there's no modules folder there

3. so how to fix it in this case? :(

Thanks a lot...:(