Three problems that seem unrelated to eachother but happen at the same

Retribution

Party members stop attacking, they just sit there and get beaten up. I have to keep right clicking to attack, instead of auto-attacking. I also can't level up, when I press the + sign next to character portraits nothing happens. This has happened before, and I would like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them before.

Party members stop attacking, they just sit there and get beaten up. I have to keep right clicking to attack, instead of auto-attacking.

Have you maybe activated the "Hold Position" button under the character portraits on the left side of your screen?

I also can't level up, when I press the + sign next to character portraits nothing happens.

What happens when you open up the character screen and press there the Level Up button (its right, under the stats) ?

I had a similar problem when my dog leveled right at the defence of the gates in Denerim. All my characters just stopped and stood still! So I went into their tactics and reset them. Then clicked on a target with the dog selected and it started to attack again.

Notice in the tactics that none of them by mistake are set to "wait". Also notice that besides a userdefined setting in the tactics, you can choose multiple standard settings, ranging from defending to aggressive.