• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Masurao

Masurao

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
When interacting with our fellow 'players' how far are we allowed to go? Shooting another's weapon from his hands would be considered 'inappropriate' in normal RPGs, if only because it would need some form of a contested roll.

Also, while I assume our characters have some history as adventurers, can our equipment be equivalent to daedric? I was under the assumption that our characters were placed in a role similar to ones we take in the game. I mean, wouldn't we have to (and want to) earn such equipment?

I know, I know, I assume a lot, but I just want have my stuff straight ;)

Dew_Loc

Dew_Loc

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

When interacting with our fellow 'players' how far are we allowed to go? Shooting another's weapon from his hands would be considered 'inappropriate' in normal RPGs, if only because it would need some form of a contested roll.

Also, while I assume our characters have some history as adventurers, can our equipment be equivalent to daedric? I was under the assumption that our characters were placed in a role similar to ones we take in the game. I mean, wouldn't we have to (and want to) earn such equipment?

I know, I know, I assume a lot, but I just want have my stuff straight ;)

Not that I'm in any position to dicate that, but I'd assume from reading the advice they gave that you might not want to start out with full Daedric. We're not superheroes, and Daedric armor is very rare. I'd go as far as one or two peices of glass armor, definately not a full set.

My character is completely unarmored, and the only clothes he's wearing is a pair of oversized shorts. His weapon is a peice of wood with rusty nails nailed into the end.

Peregrine

Peregrine

Bird from Hell

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Not that I'm in any position to dicate that, but I'd assume from reading the advice they gave that you might not want to start out with full Daedric. We're not superheroes, and Daedric armor is very rare. I'd go as far as one or two peices of glass armor, definately not a full set.

My character is completely unarmored, and the only clothes he's wearing is a pair of oversized shorts. His weapon is a peice of wood with rusty nails nailed into the end.

Well, the rules for the competition said absolutely nothing about starting wealth level. If you feel like roleplaying a poor and under-equipped character, that's your choice, but there's nothing that says we're starting as low-level characters.

Dew_Loc

Dew_Loc

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Well, the rules for the competition said absolutely nothing about starting wealth level. If you feel like roleplaying a poor and under-equipped character, that's your choice, but there's nothing that says we're starting as low-level characters.

Hey, I aint just roleplaying that my brother!

But yea, I was under the impression that having an entire set of Daedric armor was considered power-gaming.

Emperor Justin

Emperor Justin

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have a question related to starting equipment:

I noticed in the RP so far at least one character has started wioth a full suit of glass armor. Is that okay? what's the line, exactly?

The instructional post mentioned that in our first post, we should state some kind of heroic or impressive deed. Could this deed be something along the lines of say, getting a daedric weapon that we now possess, or a really cool amulet?? Mind you, nothing god like, i mean, a regular daedric weapon is powerful, but it's not godly, nor is a glass suit of armor.

I'm just trying to figure out the limits.

Masurao

Masurao

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
From the first post in the roleplaying thread: "You are a normal person with normal spells and abilities. No one person is greater than or the master of any other person."

While this says nothing of wealth (or equipment in particular), Daedric weaponry is not a sign of wealth, but rather of accomplishment. Most of you will know the Khajit merchant (perhaps even his name by head), who sells 'Daedric' weapons. 'Well, not exactly Daedric, but his weapons can be as sharp and deadly as Daedric when they need to be', to paraphrase him. This, to me, is a great example of how things are in Tamriel: everyone has heard of Daedric steel and wants to have it, but until they are capable of acquiring it, they will have to make do with other equipment that can simulate, but in no way match the quality (or weight!) of Daedric steel.

My character left his 'adventuring days' behind before he even was an adventurer, but he'll make do with whatever is at the camp. Like in Morrowind, you can scrounge up (barely) a set of heavy armor in Seyda Neen when you start, let alone Daedric. Perhaps I am running the gun here, but any weapon or armor even close to the level of Daedric steel should have an entire history in and of itself, let alone how the character acquired it. I do not recall, by head, a great number of characters seen wearing Daedric armor or brandishing Daedric weapons in Morrowind, but one that I do remember was a 4,000 year old Telvanni wizard.

As you said, we don't have to be poor, but if you are rich, you are probably a noble, a succesful merchant, or at least someone who can easily acquire money, but as it says above: you would be a normal person who has a lot of money. I am not just concerned about balance between players, but also about the simple credibility of our characters.

On another note, I just realized I made up a small village in my post. Teensy weensy by description, but not exactly canonical... Will this be a problem and should I need to edit my post?

In reply to Justin: while Glass Armor is not godly, you must remember it is the most powerful light armor in Morrowind, which should translate into the fact that is rare and hard to come by. Imagine you are a peasant seeing someone walk by in a suit of glass armor (or daedric for that matter), how close would you think that person to be to the gods. (Crude example, I know)

Edited by Masurao, 06 March 2006 - 02:49 AM.

Peregrine

Peregrine

Bird from Hell

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

But yea, I was under the impression that having an entire set of Daedric armor was considered power-gaming.

Power-gaming: UberSlayer is my level 9 warrior. He has steel armor and weapons. Oh, by the way, he just killed all the enemies while you were sitting there talking. What? Did you insult him? Well he kills you too. And you who just swung a sword at him, you miss and UberSlayer cuts your head off. Etc...

Not Power-gaming: My character is the wealthy son of a major merchant, who has joined the group out of boredom and desire to see the world. His family fortune has equipped him with the best armor and weapons, including full daedric armor (hunted down at great expense and many called-in favors), but he is inexperienced and has trouble actually killing stuff. Despite his wealth, he doesn't steal the spotlight entirely, and make himself take all the kills/glory/treasure/etc. In fact, he would prefer to bribe his way through a fight rather than draw his sword.

Not Power-gaming: Aleksi is a veteran mercenary with over ten years of experience. Over a lifetime of adventuring, he has saved enough money to buy good equipment, including daedric-equivalent weapons. Fortunately his player knows how to avoid god-roleplaying and will not focus the entire character around how his weapon does more damage than everyone else, and kill everything in one hit while everyone else struggles to even harm it.

Massive character wealth is merely a common symptom of power-gaming/god-roleplaying. But just because a character is well-equipped doesn't mean they're a problem, especially in a rules-less game like this one. As long as the character makes sense and provides a good story, who cares whether their sword does more damage or not.

Really, the deciding question is "does the character's wealth fit their description and background, or do they have the best equipment just because their player feels insecure in his manhood and has to show off to everyone?"

Masurao

Masurao

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
I would still refer you to my post above, as it just went in before yours by seconds.

My question would be: if a character would rather bribe an enemy, who would he carry a set of Daedric that make him stand out to be a great warrior? And besides, what would he give that is more valuable than the loot his soon-to-be-dead body is carrying?

Also, well-equiped is not the same as 'equiped with Daedric-equivalent weapons' in my book. I would ask for a better description than that. But, I know I am just one person with one view.

Peregrine

Peregrine

Bird from Hell

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

My question would be: if a character would rather bribe an enemy, who would he carry a set of Daedric that make him stand out to be a great warrior? And besides, what would he give that is more valuable than the loot his soon-to-be-dead body is carrying?

Because like I said in the description, that character is a wealthy merchant with more money than common sense, supposed to be played as the rich fool who stumbles around playing warrior games (and maybe eventually learns some skills and makes his mark in the story). Sure, he's bought all the nice toys, but that doesn't give him skills or change his behavior once practice is over and real danger shows up.

The point was, just because the character has money doesn't mean he's power-gamed and will dominate everything and harm the story.

Also, well-equiped is not the same as 'equiped with Daedric-equivalent weapons' in my book. I would ask for a better description than that. But, I know I am just one person with one view.

You would ask, and there is probably a story behind it, but would Aleksi tell you? I'm not exactly new at this roleplaying thing, the fact that my character likes to keep his secrets doesn't mean I don't have any. You're talking about a character who's spent ten years as a mercenary and adventurer, of course he's going to have stories, and has worked his way to get those weapons.

Emperor Justin

Emperor Justin

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
You both make good points, but I'd like an "official" opinion on the matter. Though now I'm probably going to re-write the whole daedric thing and glass armor bit.

Page loaded in: 0.974 seconds