Still Shiny Textures

ClayCant

Once again there is another post about people having shiny textures I know you will be annoyed but this isn't an average noob trying to figure out something with doing any research and acting like its the end of the world. But trust me I've done my research. I seen multiple posts on this exact topic and even as its helped multiple people no matter what strategy ive used (which is pretty much everything) no works. Ive done stuff with the normal map alpha channel, diffuse map brightness, the transparency of the normal map itself, change the nif properties and so on and so forth. Could someone please help me out here, I will post some screenshots of my situation later on down the track when I get more posts but I would like to see some simpler solution before I start posting stuff. If any interest to you the object im trying to retexture is a 'rockl' or large rock, and would like to make it instead of a grey colour to a whitish/ creamy colour. As the post suggests when I try this the texture is shiny and I have tried alto to stop it which I have been battling with for about a year and made me stop modding multiple times. Please go someone with any knowledge about how to fix this, your help would be much appreciated. Thank

Ps: sorry for writing alot

An object shinyness is decided by the specularity map.

The alpha channel is a grayscaled image. A simple way to make it is to take the difuse map, grayscale it and play with values. Black means it will not shine, white means it will shine.

Copy that map over to the alpha channel, and save the texture as a DX5 .dds texture.

If you put a flat color in the alpha channel, it will look funny, since it will all whine equaly.

If you have no alpha, or save it without alpha channel, it will have a full white alpha channel, making it shine a lot and look like plastic.

Other things:
1) Cubemaps. IF the texture set uses a shiny cube map, it gets shinier.

2) Reflection map/Environment. If the texture uses a reflection map (Texture_m/em) it needs to it the model. Black means no reflection, white means full reflection. The reflection is built upon the specularity.

3) .nif setting. In the BSLightingShaderProperty. The Specular Strength, Specular Color and Glossiness decide how much the engine will use your texture maps.

Without seeing the texture, I can not really help you any more.

Best of luck!
Matth

basically what Matt said, though you can also convert the normal map to a height map and adjust the brightness, it often gives a much better starting point for creating a specular map that working from the diffuse, IMHO and all that.

If you still have issues with it, you could share/PM me your nif files and textures (ideally a reduced version of them), and I'll take a look.