[REQ] THAT BLADE'S A LITTLE DULL (NPC Smith Upgrade)

eddyg86

Mod Request: "That Blade's a Little Dull.."
It's always bothered me, since I bought Skyrim for xbox360 on it's Australian release date and fondly got into Blacksmithing, that I was the ONLY Soul in the entire of Tamriel actually using the Grindstone for any damn reason.
Here's my point. The first smith you find, generally, will initate a quest where he gets you to make a dagger and helmet for him, then let's you keep it, saying "That blade is a little dull, how about you get a bit of metal and sharpen it up!?".
Well, they'd know about dull blades, as NOTHING, anywhere, in all of Skyrim, is upgraded - it's all 'pre/no-upgrade' and ready for you to somehow get some grind-stone magic and, poof, +8 damage to your iron longsword, that not even the ones at Jurgen Greymanes store can match.

hy is everybody else, but the magical Dovarkiin, completely nerf'd when it comes to actually getting some benefit from those grindstones they sit on all day long? (lore wise).

Why is the later game Artifact bows, or a Thalmor elven archer's bow for that matter, of lower damage, 'unupgraded', compared to my characters !uniquely! upgraded longbow (and why am i the only one who thought to add an extra piece of firewood to my bow, or that extra leather strip to my hunting bow lol? Why aren't there 'hunting bow (fine)'s everybloodywhere if all it takes is one leather strip to get that extra killing power?)
That's my point, and what's needed.
* The items for sale, and in the hands of the people of Skyrim, and available for loot, should be of Various upgrade qualities (fine or whatever the lowest possible for players to upgrade to, all the way through to 'heroic' or 'legendary' items, occasionally, particularly on relics and special weapons and armor) - way before the Dovarkiin gets his magical-grindstone-ing gloves on them, and even in the hands of his/her enemies.

* It doesn't make sense that even a steel sword created by Jurgen Greymane isn't up to scratch compared to one taken by a level 15 blacksmith player-character to the grindstone. The ones of the particularly special smiths, such as Skyforge steel, should be, for a time, way too upgraded by default for anything but perhaps a level 60-80 smith to be able to Upgrade, they should come at a pre-grindstoned/workbenched level, that suprasses the ability of any but the more talented of player characters.
* deadric artifacts ought to come perhaps at levels that you ought to be at least a level 80-100 smith to be able to carry on upgrading them. They are currently underpowered at all levels, as it is, and it is depressing that the first thing that I, and presumably anybody (in their right mind, regardless of their level of smithing) does, is take a new artifact or purchased item to the work area, to start the hack grind-stoning and workbenching.
*perhaps, alongside selling pre-upgraded gear, some smiths of the world could even upgrade the players item for them, at Their skill level, which may be better than the players by a lot, for a appropriate fee. (for example again, mr Greymane, who's SUPPOSED to be the best of the best, but who sucks compared to my level 20 smithing khajjit, regarding damage. in fact, all his blades come 'dull', according to the first blacksmithing quest, lol)

Is it viable to apply random and occasionally pre-set Blacksmithing Upgrade conditions to the items of the world of Skyrim?

Even if they all came out random, and never higher than what a level 100 or 100 + best smithing potion PC could upgrade an item to, it'd still be far better for immersion overall - and have the side benefit of adding a bit of damage and protection value to the various NPCs of the world.

It'd also as be making on-field/looted use of items more viable in the later levels of the game, (which i find i never do, all items go through the now mundane process of 'upgrading' at the workbench and grinder, and obviously, all found items are crap compared to yours until you take them to the smith - even an ebony sword found on a NPC can be laughable until taken to the smithing area compared to a iron dagger you upgraded via the grindstone and smithing skill potions. Why is it the dovarkiin is the only smith in the world of Skyrim to be able to do that? Actually sharpen anything?).

It'd add to the excitement of actually finding some items Pre-upgraded/sharpened/hardened even better than what you can currently upgrade to with your current skill level.

(Another cool element to this, could be that fighting, as all parties would have upgrade levels generally, could come with a chance to wear down armor and weapons - forcing you to repair your armor and shield, and resharpen your axe and blade, regularly, if you do alot of hacking. it'd simulate the sharpening even further, and almost simulate a repair system, and force you to kill enemies more wisely if you wanted to sell the gear for a profit based on decent upgrade levels, as your attacks might of worn the enemies armor 'to a shred' of no-upgrade, lol, or only fine from exquisite.
Imagine if both you and your enemy had Upgrade levels available from self smithed (or in the case of the NPCs, generated)/store bought/looted gear - and fighting could slowly wear down your upgrades, actually forcing you to sharpen your weapons regularly, and lessening the quality of loot if you don't kill your foe swiftly and cleanly (and with thoughtful power attacks as opposed to spamming attacks, which would wear down the enemies armor quickly, lessening loot profit, and damaging your weapon more).
imagine if armor had to be re-fit and repaired at the workbench after a bunch of combat, and your enemies armor had default upgrade levels which would wear down with damage even?)? I personally wonder if this game (or the previous one, Oblivion) could of used another 100 brains and 12 more months, or 24 even, as some of these things just make sense, as does frosty breath and foot-steps in the snow, and true first person, imho..

I don't know why nobody else seems to care about this ;p and is happy with being the only one in the virtual world with a 90 damage iron dagger. honestly, it confounds logic, that people want to constantly mod the players damage up, and then complain that the difficulty is too easy - so they switch the difficulty slider from the default, 'true, same, equal damage to all parties', 1x/1x damage difficulty of 'adept' - and make themselves feel good for having half damage and half armor - lol. you might as well just play on adept and not upgrade on the grindstone for the same effect.. I personally want to see other NPCs and storekeepers having access to 'grindstoned' weapons and improved armor, so when i play on 1x/1x damage, adept, normal difficulty, i won't always be at an advantage, having the ability to upgrade even an iron sword to the damage of an unimproved ebony warhammer, and therefore also rendering a non-smithing roleplaying character unable to ever see a 'sharpened' weapon in the world, ever...

*sighs*. i would make this mod myself but its beyond my ability - i know roughly where the events for adding the effect to a single item is, but to add that to the rest of the world is beyond me entirely - i would imagine it would be an invisible quest activation or something if it's at all possible... and even then making it randomised across all loot and world-items is another thing, and making it good in some places and not too good in other areas could be too much of an ask too.
Edited by eddyg86