A Plea to modders for DAModder Compatibility

jwvanderbeck

I see. My normal procedure is to name my readme file with the same name as the mod itself, so it's not confused with the readmes from other mods, but if it's in the mod's own separate folder, I suppose that may not be an issue.

So if it displays the readme in the same box, this means I should not duplicate the information from it into the DefaultText field, correct?

I see. My normal procedure is to name my readme file with the same name as the mod itself, so it's not confused with the readmes from other mods, but if it's in the mod's own separate folder, I suppose that may not be an issue.

So if it displays the readme in the same box, this means I should not duplicate the information from it into the DefaultText field, correct?

you can name the readme anything you want as long as "readme" is in the name. DAModder is smart :)

Readme and Description are two different things and displayed in two different spots. Its up to you. I think most people put only a subset of the readme into into the description. In a "standard" mod, the description is what you see in game when you are looking at your installed content.

Good to hear about the good parsing ability of the file name.

In that case, I will duplicate the readme information in full. When I used a subset of the readme as the description of my mod on the social network, people apparently assumed I never specified any redistribution permissions (which are written in the readme).

Copied from my Guide to make this thread more complete:

How to make a Mod compatible with DAModder

DAModder is designed to be as flexible as possible, but the most benefits come from using DAModder Compatible packages. This not only makes the installation easier, it allows you to take advantage of future features planned for DAModder such as the ability to configure compatible mods inside of DAModder. If your mod is not currently in a DAModder Compatible Package, i encourage you to make one. DAModder Compatible packages still work fine outside of DAModder so its the best of both worlds for the author and its much more user friendly for the the Mod-User.

There are two types of mods in general. Standard mods and Core Override mods:

- Standard Mods are those that are released in a .DAZIP file and can be installed with DAUpdater.

- Core Override Mods are mods that aren't technically a "module" by the game's standard, but instead simply drop files into the players "Core Override" directory to change the behavior of the game.

If your mod is a standard mod, that is currently installed by DAUpdater, then chances are pretty good its already compatible with DAModder. If you are just distributing the .DAZIP file, or you are ziping it up along with a Readme file, it will work fine with DAModder. The user can simply drag and drop the .DAZIP file or the .ZIP file into the application, and hit install. No problem. About the only way a standard mod would be incompatible right now is if you're doing something like zipping it up, but hiding the DAZIP in a subfolder.

Core Override mods are alittle more comlicated. By definition these are not "modules" by the game's standards, and as such there is no module data for DAModder to parse. In other words, DAModder has ZERO information on the mod. The instructions in the sample package below show some small changes you can make to how its packaged so DAModder can essentially be "told" the mod's details. This will make the end user experience for your mods much better, as users will be able to see details like Mod Name, author, version, URL, description, etc.

You can get the sample packages here: Sample mod packages for DAModder compatibility download

On this FAQ Site you can find the latest information on how to Create a DAModder Package for a Core Override mod.

On this FAQ Site you can find information on how to use DAMarkdown to make your Descriptions and Readmes better readable in DAModder.

If you have questions about how to make your Mod DAModder compatible, ask at the Support Page or here =)

I love 7zip as well. Its something I might be able to handle, and would like to, but I have to essentially write all the code for handling them because a library isn't (that I know of) available .

What kind of library are you needing? 7-Zip was written in C++. See this file listing to find the source code which is in the tar.bz2 file.

LHammonds

EDIT: I probably won't see a reply so if you need me to see something, please send a PM.