Regarding general gameplay/mechanic modding

OpenSaucer

EDIT: FromSoftware has temporarily disabled VAC. It is not known if it will be enabled again.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259718155271/

Although VAC is now disabled, there are still no tools for mesh modding/recoding.

To everyone asking if it is possible to do this and that;

the game has been VAC-enabled. This means that it uses Valve's Anti-Cheat system. Basically this system checks if you have modified "locked" game files, and if you have any programs hooking to the game, performing illegal operations. Some examples of things that are 100% surely not possible because of VAC:

• changing weapon/monster/armor etc. balancing.
  • new mechanics/changed mechanics, like adding a permanent lantern instead of having to carry a torch.

These things are not possible because they would require you to modify the game files, and this is an always-online game. Some examples of things that will potentially get you VAC-banned:

• texture/mesh replacements
  • other visual mods like GeDoSaTo or ENB Series

These are mods that intercept with the game's way of rendering, and from the automatic anti-cheat's point of view are the same as for example a wallhack. I'm not saying this WILL get you VAC-banned, VAC is a pretty smart system, and it super-extremely-rarely makes unfair bans.

The game is not officialy moddable, so technically all mods are "hacks". You should use anything at your own risk.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Namco Bandai, Valve, or From Software; I simply wanted to have a post to point people to when they request mods that are not allowed by VAC.

Edited by OpenSaucer

Guest MIAyazaki

If one has paid for the game, it's perfectly within their rights to seek out a way in which to play the game without the Steam client active (i.e., a crack / fix).

Sure, you won't be able to play online. But that's the choice FromSoft has forced people to make -- online vanilla game or offline modded one. The choice is up to the individual. One can also have a save / game install specifically for mod use and one 'official' version for vanilla play...

If one has paid for the game, it's perfectly within their rights to seek out a way in which to play the game without the Steam client active (i.e., a crack / fix).

Sure, you won't be able to play online. But that's the choice FromSoft has forced people to make -- online vanilla game or offline modded one. The choice is up to the individual. One can also have a save / game install specifically for mod use and one 'official' version for vanilla play...

Thus,

The game is not officialy moddable, so technically all mods are "hacks". You should use anything at your own risk.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to add new weapon move sets to the game? I would love to see several weapons have more unique move sets, especially the boss weapons. I think its kind of a shame that so many weapons have the exact same move set. In Dark Souls a lot of otherwise under powered weapons would still be used because they had good/unique moves. Even the returning weapons like Dragonslayer Spear and all of the Black Knight weapons had their move sets changed, so that they are now just like all the other weapons.

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if it gets you banned, it would be worth it to spice up the gameplay variety.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...