Breakable shields

HumiIiation

After starting another play through of Skyrim I noticed two things that I think could work pretty well together. Nr 1; Whenever I try to annihilate whiterun the guards have a tendency to block 90% of my attacks. Nr 2; The breakable stockade barricade is pretty damn awesome, and its about the only thing in skyrim that is breakable (If you want to see it in action you can go to Fort Graymoor near Whiterun).

Naturally my thought was "I wonder if you could use the same scripts etc to create breakable shields"?

This would make shield and sword combat a whole lot more interesting and it would prevent constant staggering from blocking enemies. As far as modeling goes creating a shield is no problem what so ever, however the scripting and the havok work is something I have not mastered. If anybody here have the skills to help me out or just explane how the barricade works please contact me! Creating a shield that physically breaks over time would in my eyes be really cool and pretty game changing/immersive.

If anybody wants to check this out the barricade it is located @Meshes\clutter\stockade\stockadebarricade

Edited by HumiIiation

In a classic Viking duel used to resolve a dispute between two warriors, each combatant was allowed just three shields, and after the last was destroyed, you have to fight with just your axe or sword, and from there things got allot more deadly.

In many contests, the process of exchanging blows never went beyond the breaking of the shields, as both combatants realized with the shield gone, someone was likely to die. So, the first person to destroy the other guy's last shield effectively "Won" the non-lethal contest.

There is a very historically accurate portrayal of this in the movie "The 13th Warrior".

Here is an article that discusses the Historical known features of the : Hólmgang and Einvigi

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/holmgang.shtml

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/graphics/pagecontent/holmring.jpg

These were the roles for the hólmgang: a cloak five ells square was to be laid down, with loops in the corners. Pegs with heads were to be rammed in there which were called tiösnur. He who attended to this was to approach the tiösnur in such fashion that he looked up between his legs while holding onto his earlaps and speaking the spell which later was used in the sacrifice which is called tiösnublót. Three borders (or furrows), each a foot in breadth, were to be around the cloak, and at the edge of these borders must be four posts which are called höslur (hazels). And when all this had been done the spot was called "hazelled" (völlr haslaðr). Each contestant was to have three shields, and when they were destroyed then he must step on the cloak again if he had left it before, and defend himself with his weapons thereafter. He who had been challenged was to have the first blow. If one of the two was wounded so that blood flowed on the cloak, then no further fighting was to be done. If either one stepped outside the höslur with one foot, then that is called "he yields ground"; but "he flees," if with both. Each contestant was to have someone to hold his shield for him. He who was wounded hardest was to pay hólm-ransom (hólmlausn) -- three marks of silver (Hollander, Kormáks saga, 33-4).

Edited by VanKrill

In a classic Viking duel used to resolve a dispute between two warriors, each combatant was allowed just three shields, and after the last was destroyed, you have to fight with just your axe or sword, and from there things got allot more deadly.

In many contests, the process of exchanging blows never went beyond the breaking of the shields, as both combatants realized with the shield gone, someone was likely to die. So, the first person to destroy the other guy's last shield effectively "Won" the non-lethal contest.

There is a very historically accurate portrayal of this in the movie "The 13th Warrior".

Here is an article that discusses the Historical known features of the : Hólmgang and Einvigi

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/holmgang.shtml

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/graphics/pagecontent/holmring.jpg

These were the roles for the hólmgang: a cloak five ells square was to be laid down, with loops in the corners. Pegs with heads were to be rammed in there which were called tiösnur. He who attended to this was to approach the tiösnur in such fashion that he looked up between his legs while holding onto his earlaps and speaking the spell which later was used in the sacrifice which is called tiösnublót. Three borders (or furrows), each a foot in breadth, were to be around the cloak, and at the edge of these borders must be four posts which are called höslur (hazels). And when all this had been done the spot was called "hazelled" (völlr haslaðr). Each contestant was to have three shields, and when they were destroyed then he must step on the cloak again if he had left it before, and defend himself with his weapons thereafter. He who had been challenged was to have the first blow. If one of the two was wounded so that blood flowed on the cloak, then no further fighting was to be done. If either one stepped outside the höslur with one foot, then that is called "he yields ground"; but "he flees," if with both. Each contestant was to have someone to hold his shield for him. He who was wounded hardest was to pay hólm-ransom (hólmlausn) -- three marks of silver (Hollander, Kormáks saga, 33-4).

Absolutely agree, interesting reading :)

In the Hunter Born and FrostFall mods there are Axes which degrade over use, and have to be repaired. The scripting mechanism is basically a usage swap out on random roll failure made on each use.

This could be used to degrade a given shield, changing to a new mesh model, or just a re-textured mesh showing damage. Each successive downgrade would then also have a lowered Armor bonus, until the shield was basically junk.

A mod made to provide such could also have public squares in the major towns where such duels take place, and even NPCs who get into brawls in the Inn, and set a Publicly declared Duel for the next day at noon.

High Noon, Viking Style.

It would be easy enough to make a swap out to a alternate shield when any given hits destroyed level, and when the inventory is empty of shields, switch to just the weapon.

The hard part would be making the Player have to stick to just three shields for the duel.

For the moment, I cannot think of how you could prevent the player from just having an inventory full of shields. Perhaps have a duel shield counter external script, and if more than three were attempted, the guards and everyone watching would simo attack the player.

-

If you're into real viking history and culture, this video is both authentic in sound, but also in language and theme.

Einherjar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfzy0Kmucw

This is the caption to the Video

In Norse mythology, the einherjar (Old Norse "single (or once) fighters" are those that have died in battle and are brought to Valhalla by valkyries.
In Valhalla, the einherjar eat their fill of the nightly-resurrecting beast Sæhrímnir, and are brought their fill of mead (from the udder of the goat Heiðrún) by valkyries. The einherjar prepare daily for the events of Ragnarök, when they will advance for an immense battle at the field of Vígríðr; the battle which the "ein" (here meaning single-time) refers to.

The video uses clips from the History channel Vikings series with added content to tell the story of an old Viking ulfhedinn

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/berserke.shtml

or wolf shape shifting warrior to fights a final real world battle and is killed, and taken by the Valkyries to Valhalla to daily resurrect, eat red meat, drink mead, and join in a glorious battle to the death before the throne of Odin.

It is interesting that the Nordic Idea of Heaven was perpetual War, not harps and pearly gates.

-

Edited by VanKrill

I will hop into the creation kit and see if I can find a solution for creating this. I want the shields to break in real time whitch can be quite hard. Im not sure if frostfall does that with the axes...Oh epic viking music, this gets me creative!

I've been working the idea of real time Shield Hit - Test for Breakage Scripting, and found this discussion with some really cool ways to look at implementing your breakable shields.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/900628-impossible-things-to-do-in-the-creation-kit/

The idea is to use Perks to link a magic effect which carries a script with the desired breakage test, including item disable and swap to broken item replacement.

I've also been looking at placing a script on the (or ALL) shields which looks for wielder being "OnHit" and runs the breakage tests on each strike.

The Armor Item has a script slot, but such a script would need to self-disable when the actor / player was out of combat or the loading would crash the game.

Imagine every NPC with a shield in the game having a script constantly testing for a hit event all of the time.

It might be possible to go about it from the other direction. When combatants enter a Dueling Ring, place a global quest script which watches those actors/player for scoring hits, and then check the target for shield wielding, if so, test and break as needed.

This is from another discussion I found:

U can call the "onhit" event in a Papyrus script on whatever object u wish to reference. This will return the references to the character doing the hitting (akAgressor), the weapon used for the hitting (akSource), the projectile that hit (akProjectile), whether the hit was caused by a power attack (abPowerAttack), whether it was a sneak attack (abSneakAttack), whether it was a bash attack (abBashAttack), or if the hit was blocked (abHitBlocked).

For example a script run on a specific chair. If the chair was struck with a sword by sammy while sammy was in sneak mode would produce:

Event Onhit()
Debug.MessageBox("Ouch! I was hit with a " + akSource + "by " + akAggressor ". Was he sneaking? + abSneakAttack)
EndEvent

The preceding script would cause a message box to appear when the chair was struck giving the message: "Ouch" I was hit with a sword by sammy. Was he sneaking? True"
akAgressor == sammy, akSource == sword, abSneakAttack == true

http://www.creationkit.com/OnHit_-_ObjectReference

-

Edited by VanKrill

Thanks for the help! This is interesting indeed, somebody told me about this mod and I got the same author to do the scripting for my shield, Once he is finished with that I can just duplicate the same process and add all shields in skyrim. They have to be remodeled but that is something I really enjoy doing :) Reading what you sent me however made me want to expand my modding to make arrows break if they hit, say, a stone wall. Perhaps even bringing back Oblivions weapon wear and tear system and implement it with the current smiting system. But that's in the far future, just throwing out ideas. One thing I do know is that I want a more destructible environment in skyrim. Just imagine being able to bash your way through a door in some cave, would make the world of skyrim much more interesting!

Are you good with scripts, VanKrill?