Graphics card problems

combinemaster

Sense I instilled my new Graphics card (nividia GeForce GTX260) I have been having some weird issues with oblivion, my screen keep flickering and after it's done it goes to desktop and it says "Graphics something stopped working and has recovered" this happens every 5 or so minutes... and everybody I know, does not know whats the cause of this!

My specs (if needed):

Ocz 600W power supply

nividia GeForce GTX 260 Graphics card

Asus M2N-E motherboard

2 gig ram (kingmax, sadly my ram it the crappiest you can find, lucky I'm getting at least 4 gig ram next week 800mhz)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6400+ 3.21ghz

Windows 7 64-bit

please help!

I want to get back to playing oblivion (and half-life 2, but it doesn't have the same problem but maybe it will solve it still)

Changed any hardware lately?

Try renaming or deleting the oblivion.ini file (...\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini)

Oblivion will then redetect hardware. It will also, probably, not recognize your video card and set everything to medium. Just change the settings according to what you think your card will support (You can always change them later)

Already tried it...it doesn't work I tried setting it too the lowest setting and everything worked but nobody can play oblivion on lowest resolution right XD

I've tried all the graphics options and they all had the same result expect the lowest setting

can it be the screen itself? (1920 x 1080 (32bit) (59mhz) )

Okay so make sure you update driver online when selecting options for video option make sure to disable hdr lighting nvidia sopports bloom lighting effects ati supports hdr. Unfortunatly if this does not work back up save.ess and mods and give a clean install maybe no way around it

I have the same card. It is a monster and I had to rearrange the inside of my box to fit it. It also requires extra power. Did you plug in power to both of the extra power input connectors on the board? Mine came with adapters in case the Power supply didn't have the proper connector.

It also runs hot and may need extra cooling. As mine is mounted in the bottom slot of my Motherboard, I cut a hole in the bottom of the case to allow it to draw in outside air directly into the fan. I covered the hole with a piece of filter material to keep the dust accumulation down. (be sure to remove everything from the case before trying this)

Have you tested the new card with any other graphics intensive games to see if the same problem occurs with them? This could help determine whether the problem is card related (driver/hardware) or if it is indeed oblivion causing the problem.

@ Crimson Knight: My GTX260 works fine running oblivion with HDR lighting

Have you tested the new card with any other graphics intensive games to see if the same problem occurs with them? This could help determine whether the problem is card related (driver/hardware) or if it is indeed oblivion causing the problem.

Some games with graphics like crysis or mirros edge work fine. I tested it with HL2 and it keeps on crashing after 3-4 hours.

I have the same card. It is a monster and I had to rearrange the inside of my box to fit it. It also requires extra power. Did you plug in power to both of the extra power input connectors on the board? Mine came with adapters in case the Power supply didn't have the proper connector.

It also runs hot and may need extra cooling. As mine is mounted in the bottom slot of my Motherboard, I cut a hole in the bottom of the case to allow it to draw in outside air directly into the fan. I covered the hole with a piece of filter material to keep the dust accumulation down. (be sure to remove everything from the case before trying this)

lol it sure is a monster, ya I plugged both of the plugs in, I may find some way too cool it down.

Okay so make sure you update driver online when selecting options for video option make sure to disable hdr lighting nvidia sopports bloom lighting effects ati supports hdr. Unfortunatly if this does not work back up save.ess and mods and give a clean install maybe no way around it

I already updated the driver, I'll try what you said.

is there anyway to go down too DirectX 9 for oblivion?

Some games with graphics like crysis or mirros edge work fine. I tested it with HL2 and it keeps on crashing after 3-4 hours.

it's down to maybe 30-40 minutes before it crashes now...

I already updated the driver, I'll try what you said.

Nope nothing.

Now it flickers once and then 5 minutes later after this, the screen goes black for 3 seconds the the screen becomes White and a box says "Oblivion has stopped working"