Anyone had any luck with transparent alpha channels?

Guest Meatbang

Guest Meatbang

I'm trying to make a helmet invisible (just the Hollow Infantry Helmet) with GeDoSaTo texture override through the use of both methods of transparency available with a .PNG image file, the first being replacing the background image with a transparent background setting and saving it as such, and secondly applying an alpha channel to the texture and drawing over it in with transparent colour to make it transparent. The idea is to make the whole helmet transparent, then edit the normal and reflection maps to be flat.

I've had next to no luck, despite both methods, the helmet just goes black and refuses to abide by the transparency. I know for a fact that transparency exists in Dark Souls 2 (a lot of the cloaks and capes use it at the edges) but I can't for the life of me get it working; which makes me think there is a property of each model that enables the transparent layer - which means it is unaccessable to modders.

Has anyone had any luck with it? Any input or techniques I should try?

Alpha channels don't work with transparency directly, as they can be used for many different things. They work with white and black. I'm not sure if the alpha channel is actually what alters the transparency on textures in DaS2 (?) but you could try making the alpha channel entirely black, and if that doesn't work, make it entirely white. The PNG method should work as well though, just delete all the pixels in the image and save as a PNG.

Edited by OpenSaucer

Alpha channels don't work with transparency directly, as they can be used for many different things. They work with white and black. I'm not sure if the alpha channel is actually what alters the transparency on textures in DaS2 (?) but you could try making the alpha channel entirely black, and if that doesn't work, make it entirely white. The PNG method should work as well though, just delete all the pixels in the image and save as a PNG.

Went ahead and tried this with the same black used on the Wanderer's Coat for transparency, didn't work - just appears black again :c

Looks like it's a property outside of texture modding :/

Went ahead and tried this with the same black used on the Wanderer's Coat for transparency, didn't work - just appears black again :c

Looks like it's a property outside of texture modding :/

I would suspect the alpha channel's purpose is set in the material property file, without actually knowing. Seems like it though. You can always use PNG, it supports direct transparency in the bitmap pixels, and GDST can override with PNG as well.

Guest SillyHat

Can confirm. Attempted every method of transparency known to me to remove the helmet part of Velstadt's Helm in order to get a silly hat. The texture for the helm (a84265d3) doesn't even have a specified transparency color - the areas which should be transparent have the same metallic texture. It might be some property of the model that enforces transparency, with the transparent areas on the textures only for artist's reference. Manually adding the transparent zones just defaults to color 0 - black.

Guest SillyHat

Have you checked if it has a transparency mask as a seperate file?

Not as far as I can tell. I suppose it could be something not obvious, but there aren't any other textures in my dump that look even remotely like the normal and reflection maps (I have no idea if I'm using the right terms).

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody solved this yet? Having the same issue here. Can't find aanything remotely like an alpha map.

It is something not surfaced by GeDoSaTo, possibly an element of the mesh itself, which we don't have the ability to mod. We can hope that GeDoSaTo will be updated to allow overriding of these meshes (assuming of course that it's a mesh), but such a thing was never done with Dark Souls 1, so I suspect it may be beyond even Durante's capabilities.