Opening your TARGA's is a drag to find what you want

WASasquatch

I found it really tiring opening and closing TARGA's looking for the texture I wanted, and if you are like me, and just browsing your dump it gets a bit old fast. For me, I ran Photoshop's Batch Resize AS and converted to PNG, but I found even this to be a bit slow, so I did a quick search and found "FastStone Image Resizer 3.2"

It allows you to pick a folder, and convert all of the containing images into another format, or resize them. In our case, we simply convert them to PNG with no extra settings for resizing and such.

I found it very much in handy, as once it was done converting, you can navigate Windows Image Viewer (much faster than loading in your editor and you can slide show through) or simply Windows Explorer Thumbnails and find the textures you need with ease to edit, without opening them in your editor to check them first.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who may be getting frustrated. Unfortunately we have no DDS support with this application. :sad:

Edited by WASasquatch

Good idea, although I prefer to just either a) install a Windows shell extension that allows me to view the files directly or b) a different image viewer like IrfanView

I currently use IrfanView because it supports gallery/slide-show viewing of both TGA and DDS files. Additionally this software can also convert.

Edited by OpenSaucer

Good idea, although I prefer to just either a) install a Windows shell extension that allows me to view the files directly or b) a different image viewer like IrfanView

I currently use IrfanView because it supports gallery/slide-show viewing of both TGA and DDS files. Additionally this software can also convert.

I've used IrfanView since 2001, however, it doesn't work on Windows 8 x64. :sad: And I don't know of any shell extensions for Windows 8 yet either. Also IrfanView doesn't allow you to batch convert the entire dump ready for editing.

Edited by WASasquatch

Guest Trul

Any plans to replace those copy-pasted textures of ground / buildings with something more sublime? :tongue:

Any plans to replace those copy-pasted textures of ground / buildings with something more sublime? :tongue:

Those are DSII textures for ya...

I'm working on tracking down all the skymaps currently.

Edited by WASasquatch

Those are DSII textures for ya...

I'm working on tracking down all the skymaps currently.

I was saddened that the game only had static skymaps... Some of them could really use a makeover. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'm planning on reworking the worst offenders, shaded woods, etc... No ETA on it, but I'm working on it. Currently messing around with new texures in 'Doors of Pharros' just to see what it looks like/how it runs. Anyone else working on enviromental retextures? The enviroment needs it the most, in my opinion, the characters/armor/weapons look fine...

I'm just using XnView. It displays all files in a neat grid view (with preview of course). Makes it real easy to find the correct textures (especially with sorting by image resolution). I can open those files directly in photoshop, or alternatively the program can also convert images to a number of formats (including PNG).