Not sure how I want to do Dawnguard this time

Faelrin

So I want to play a vampire this time, but wasn't sure how I want to do Dawnguard. Or course naturally a vampire should go with the Volkihar, but I don't really care for the vampire lord form that gets forced on you when you join. Of course one would think that means the Dawnguard side of things is out, but there's that one mod that lets vampires in, so there is that side available then, even if it wouldn't make much sense to play a vampire hunting vampires (unless there is, but I don't know of any reason).

If I were to go with the Volkihar side would I be able to play through without the Vampire Lord power? Would I be able to safely remove it after the little tutorial thing with Harkon (through that player.removespell command)?

Or would I be better off just grabbing a few mods to make up for the perks (the vampire jewelry, a bone horse like Arvak, etc) and just be a normal vampire and ignore the quest line altogether?

You could roleplay a self loathing vampire sort. One who hunts vampires in a desperate but fruitless effort to slay the part of himself he so desperately hates. Once you've defeated Harkon you can "discover" that there's a cure and pursue it at the same time as Serana.

That may work, or at least to some degree, since once I make him a vampire I plan to keep him one. Still would give me a reason to go with the Dawnguard in that case then, and I honestly prefer that side for some reason even though I do like some of the vampire things like the jewelry and the blood potions. Suppose a mod or two more wouldn't hurt for those things if I go this way.

An Elitist vampire who wants the gift for himself?

Or a devout follower of Molag Bar who thinks the other vampires ought to pray to their Creator more often? Maybe you even were sent by Bal to destroy the Skyrim kind of vampires, so he can introduce a new, superior breed?

That's why open-worlded RPG is awesome. It doesn't make decisions for you.